Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass NBP Part 4!

This topic contains 194 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 4 hours, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 43
    • Total Replies: 336
    • Contributions: 379

Yes, 15 years as to whether Ipswich and Suffolk needs a Northern Bypass. How much longer to get funding? How long will it take to build? At the current rate it seems 2050 would be a more realistic timescale for the opening of an Northern Bypass if we all left it to whoever the MP becomes and SCC.

Northern Bypass could be fast tracked so it is complete by 2025 – including planning.

Cambridge Uni is interested in getting involved with Enterprise Island in addition to BT. Whether anything materialises or whether it is just a ploy to get the Upper Orwell Crossing built I do not know. I was shocked to discover that Enterprise Island is to include housing… without a doubt it will just be more flats and a lab building for university.

Unfortunately, Trinity College (of Cambridge Uni) owns a lot of land. They have caused many of the problems with traffic in relations to HGVs – Felixstowe Port. I am not too sure what Ipswich (and Suffolk) has to gain if the vast majority of university buildings were owned by a third party (such as Trinity College) or to rely on Cambridge Uni for the name… once UCS has graduated into being able to provide its own degrees – why go back? It happens internationally, you will even get unis in places like China that offer degree courses etc. from UK unis. This is likely to happen more with brexit. Even places like France wanted our Unis to create bases/campuses in their country.

The interest in Enterprise Island is down to the fact it is an Enterprise Zone so it means no business rates for 5 years or so. There will be a lot of interest… cheaper office/lab rent than Cambridge, no business rates, much cheaper wages and cheaper accommodation for staff… except when the honeymoon period has gone (i.e. when business rates need to be paid), the units will become disused. Cambridge Uni is world renown… but University of Suffolk needs to go it alone. I would be disappointed if they made their university primarily about being an affiliate to Cambridge Uni so students can study in Ipswich at cheaper cost but end up getting a degree from Cambridge Uni.

#3665 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 75
    • Total Replies: 176
    • Contributions: 251

Forum Notice: On 5th May 2017 (or if the topic reaches page 11 before then) I will create Northern Bypass Part 5.

#3666 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

If and When Labour select their Ipswich candidate I will contact him or her to see if they would support the real issues that the average Ipswich man or woman are concerned about. This said I will not be voting Labour. No doubt they will keep to their current agenda of “Cuts or Care – you decide!” Erm.. Cuts?!

#3667 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 6
    • Total Replies: 205
    • Contributions: 211

£15m from government, and £5m for the LEP to complete the Wine Rack! A private development project, which, apart from removing an eyesore, will help no one will it? Or is it all going to be affordable homes? (I anticipate another topic on this, as £20m,!!!!!)  So how much so far from those for the one big single issue Ipswich needs to solve, the chronic congestion on the fringes of the town which are not addressed by Benbridge?

I'm really quite cross now, so watch out!

#3670 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

There is now a new article on IPSWI stalled Ipswich Waterfront project where you can comment on the Wine Rack investment loan.

It is very probably that some of these flats will be “affordable homes” – I can only assume they compare the prices to Mayfair when deciding this terminology. It willb e out of reach for Ipswich residents who probably wouldn’t want to live at the Ipswich Waterfront anyhow.

#3676 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 47
    • Contributions: 47

This post may be under the wrong heading but in a way, I feel it is appropriate to put it on here — £78m plus £60m for bridges another £20m for the wine rack, and you can bet your bottom dollar by the time it/they are all finished it will cost more than that — why and how is it that money can be pulled out of the hat just like that?
    We all know that a NBP would cost much more, having said that if they can twist arms for such hair brain schemes. why is so impossible to find the money to construct a NBP. where there is a will there is a way — SCC know the way but have not got the will, and don’t want to know — especially when it comes to Ipswich. These forthcoming elections — as Mart would and have said already — have chucked it all up in the air — we are not left with many options — Ben Gummer has promised to work and push for a NBP I am aware that he made this promise once before — I feel that we have no option but to vote conservative this time around — if you’re ballet shows independent then give them your cross — every little helps on our quest for a NBP and a Unitary Authority

#3680 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

£100m with change… the cost of what the Northern Bypass would have been. It is probably that amount for compensation alone when it finally gets built. Don’t forget the Travel Ipswich £21m scheme cost you could also add – a NBP would have been far better spend of money than replacing a roundabout with traffic lights, pedestrianising a couple of roads, linking traffic lights together, a digitalised timetable and the like.

Why do you think people are angry at the Cornhill Redevelopment? People are sick of the arrogant politicians saying “there is no money/budget for that”. Budgets can always be reassigned… except they try to make out that once it has been set in advance for a fiscal year or a set period of years ahead, that they have to commit to it as it is impossible to change. People know its bullshit.

Any stupid idea in Ipswich the funding is obtained. The “Ipswich Elite” think they are saints… so proud. Somehow finishing the Wine Rack will solve everything else. The empty waterfront flats, the land that is earmarked for Enterprise Island, the brewery site and the ugly Stoke Bridge end. Of course it won’t. A Tory donor needs to be rewarded for helping them into power of being all important.

If voting independent and there are multiple… pick the top most one. The worse thing is split votes…

#3683 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Dan I am not trying to split the votes — we now have the May election and the June election the may election is for the SCC — what I am trying to say is yes vote independent for this one — the June election is to give PM May more power to the elbow for Britain to leave the EU — if the people of Britain want to achieve all that is best then surely one must vote conservative — as Mart have already said it is all up in the air — I have another saying — it’s a proper buggers muddle

#3684 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Oh, of course.

The Conservatives are pretty much safe for the General Election (majority wise to be the government) – the people of Ipswich (over both constituencies) can safely vote Labour to remove Ben Gummer and Dan Poulter from power. Dan isn’t too bad but he is a part-time MP with a proper profession he should focus on.

Ben Gummer keeps adding to silly projects and touches out of the hat…

• New trains and London in 60:- But will reduce the number of trains stopping in Ipswich and the infrastructure doesn’t support the time aim (freight on common lines and London congestion, although reducing the stations to stop at as an express service would help)
    • The concourse and forecourt changes at Ipswich Station including adding trees to the station forecourt:- It just creates more traffic congestion (on a pretty vital link towards the Upper Orwell Crossings) and the plans completely changed to what the public was told
    • Deciding as part of Ipswich Vision to design and accept Cornhill Redevelopment proposal without public consultation:- This followed up with radio interviews of criticism of the people of Ipswich being negative (the electorate and council taxpayers)
    • Unveiling landmark Upper Orwell Crossings:- The aim not as a new cost-effective road as Ipswich needs it but to kick-start the Enterprise Island project with an expensive landmark bridge, due to land deals in the area (i.e. nothing to do with road infrastructure despite being a road bridge!)
    • Partnership working into securing £20m finance to finish the Wine Rack building

Please do not vote Conservative lol – Well it is down to peoples own judgement as to whom they vote for (not my place to dictate!) but in regards to this topic/issue neither the two current MPs for Ipswich are wanting a Northern Bypass…. Dan from CSNI is totally against it. Ben doesn’t want it but again changing his stance because the upcoming local elections… although perhaps he knew of the intentions for a snap General Election?

I just get the impression that post-elections he will be very quiet on the issue. He has only said “Northern Bypass” once in the public as far as we know and this was only in spite of large numbers of negativity towards the Upper Orwell Crossing announcement (where nearly everyone commenting demanded a Northern Bypass instead) and the Cornhill Redevelopment design.

#3686 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

I am not clever enough to talk the talk as the politicians do, I am just an ordinary guy who know when I am being hoodwinked, I feel that Ben Gummer is pulling the same old stunt as he did a few years ago when he was seeking to get elected as an MP — as you have said he has only uttered/mentioned the NBP once, to my mind he is once again being devious and seriously needs monitoring/watching but if we can stop his Daddy from interfering we might stand a chance this time around.
    Regarding Dan Poulter if you remember the old streetlife debate I emailed DP twice and never did get a reply, I have a relative who is a councilor, he got in touch with DPs secretary he/she said that DP had written a letter to me, to this day I have never received it — and this is from an MP who is supposed to represent NW Ipswich — I have heard that he still give his services free of charge to the Ipswich hospital, very commendable of him, perhaps he should go back to what he is good at and forget about being a politician — I wonder which job pay the most?
    Can anyone remember the photo in the star of DP walking his dog in the countryside, I wonder just where that was — perhaps that is why he do not want a NBP — nowhere to walk the dog — but once again an old saying springs to mind — you can take a horse to water but can’t make it drink — some how we have got to find a way

#3692 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

For reference on Ben Gummer – some of the original campaign materials including “a contract” with voters/residents.

Ipswich is that annoying little town of negative common working-class people and chavs… always in the back of Ben’s mind. Ipswich is his playground – for sanity purposes he keeps away most of the time in that big London… He has bigger fish to fry. If he is elected, he will have a new job… this is despite someone who fear mongered the people of Ipswich of the doom of voting for brexit. Ipswich is a safe seat as despite people moaning there is so much inaction here. Like May, to stay involved… previous agendas of wanting to keep membership of the EU have gone out of the window. EU membership would have made their jobs so much easier, so be prepared for an increase in salaries and/or MP expenses in the next term (same applies no matter what party is forming the government, Labour would do the exact same).

Ben Gummer picking both a “Wet Dock Crossing” and “Northern Route” created himself a dilemma. The people didn’t think both was necessary (still don’t) which moved away from an ambitious plan of overkill infrastructure that he was thinking as sheer genius, to a scenario where residents were increasingly demanding a Northern Bypass especially after two  day-long closures of the bridge. The politicians paid lip service and commissioned a silly report to keep people off their backs in their criticisms, yet it has increased the support for the Northern Bypass. It is still growing to this day. The reason he let the words “Northern Bypass” slip on radio was because he is desperate. He put all the hard work in to getting the Upper Orwell Crossing funding and doing deals deep inside central government… just for the people wanting an forced ultimatum of either the Upper Orwell Crossing or the Northern Bypass.  Coincidently, the time he got all the loose ends tied up by knowing the designs and having secured the funding, the people were clearly wanting the road north of the town to support the Northern Fringe (Ipswich Garden Suburb)… (not to mention shortly after not liking his Cornhill Redevelopment plans he (in part) approved either); so he desperately decided to tell people that the Northern Bypass will be next after this vanity project bridge is done and dusted… He just wants to reduce the anti- to the waterfront bridge.

I will respond to the Dan Poulter part separately.

#3693 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Dan Poulter isn’t for NW Ipswich people… you are there to make up the numbers. This should be a criminal offence to refuse to deal with half the constituency he serves. Similar story for Kesgrave no doubt. If only NW Ipswich and Kesgrave could influence the overall vote into removing him from power. His heart lies in being a doctor so he should focus on that. His constituency is really large!

A big weight on Ipswich's shoulders...

Dr Dan supported Boris Johnson for Prime Minister. He wants increased taxes for the NHS. He did get concerned at disability benefit cuts but offered a big pay rise to his mum (employed as office manager).

I am trying to locate that photo you are talking of. Was it like this one?

Dog Bruno - Dr Dan Poulter

http://www.drdanielpoulter.com/news-archive/dr-dan-looks-to-kickstart-a-healthy-new-year/856

#3695 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Do we have a declared Labour candidate for Ipswich?

#3696 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Nope, I think Labour will keep the candidate quiet until revealing to trade union people at Ipswich May Day event in Christchurch Park.

David Ellesmere has been running his mouth though, a blog post talking about Tory record of failure… they don’t even have an candidate yet!

#3700 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Yes that is the photo — I did pass remarks about way back on streetlife — I just wondered if it was somewhere in the Fynn Valley — if he leaves politics and go back to being a doctor he will have more time to walk his dog — as regards Erion Xhaferaj have not ignored your question but have got to go back to my old emails to find the answer

#3701 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

That photo could have been taken anywhere, I would say Fynn Valley was highly likely

#3736 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

The outline application has been submitted for the Adastral Park Housing Development at Martlesham.

In the Ipswich borough this includes “road upgrades” (using the term lightly) to:-

• Woodbridge Road East roundabouts
    • Foxhall Road roundabout
    • Felixstowe Road/Bixley Road roundabout

I am deeply concerned this will mean 18 months of traffic disruption and increased congestion.

Considering of some of Suffolk Highways recent Ipswich disruptions:-

• Princes Street and Queen Street – little traffic using those roads, took them forever to do each road
      Ranelagh Road – traffic light installation but closed the key section of road for weeks
    • Ipswich Station Forecourt – they just took ages just to replace the material of the paving without any major structural changes
    • Nacton Road (near Ransomes Europark) upgrades is a like-for-like example… complete mayhem but you could easily mistake the work undertaken as to what was there previously. A lot of money spent with a small difference in improvements.

Would it be worth pressuring the developers to commit funds towards a Northern Bypass? Even if their contribution was £5m*, it gets the ball rolling and such a precedent can be applied to the Northern Fringe, Wolsey Grange and other developments to get some private sector funds… if we can then recoup the funding assigned to the Upper Orwell Crossings, we would be laughing.

( * I haven’t looked at their proposed contribution to infrastructure but based on the junctions and lights near Adastral Park, and the 3 junctions in Ipswich they must be exceeding at least a couple of million pounds for that work.)

#3748 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Watchfull, I have just uploaded the comments section of several random articles from Ipswich Star in the years 2015 and 2016 regarding the WDC. Might be worth a look to see the strength of people demanding a Northern Bypass! (Not recommended for mobile browsers or tablets)

I have uploaded these to prevent them being lost over time.

A lot of criticism and “negativity” for the Wet Dock Crossing and a lot of suggestions and positivity for the Northern Bypass!

#3751 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

I’ve walked the FYnn valleY a few times quite recentlY, and have been going to bits of it for decades,  not reallY got anY flat open bits like that which attract the number of people who are in the photo.  Nor areas that get left with long grass with a path cut through it. And I think in realitY an NBP route will have to be a bit further out than the FYnn ValleY as per the line I looked, whilst You have open land and the railwaY line that could be followed for some of it, being that close to the town also impacts biglY on several villages…

• This reply was modified 2 days, 11 hours ago by Profile photo of Mart Mart.

#3759 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Yeah, I know what you mean. It has to be in his constituency, possibly Framlingham way (or just North of Ipswich).

I don’t think we should worry, if we have to demolish a few Conservative voting villages in return for them sucking away the town’s economic potential, so be it! I dread to think what the traffic will be like when all these housing developments are complete…

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io