Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass NBP Part 4!

This topic contains 202 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 9
    • Total Replies: 278
    • Contributions: 287

But, and not defending Gummer, but as quote I posted at some point he has said 12 months ago, no Northern Fringe with out Northern route, so he is sort of still singing the same tune albeit a long way to go.

Incidentally I got a letter this week from IBC about the 2014 planning application, and there being new info online. I assume I must have lodged an objection at some point, 14/00638/OUTFL.  i really don’t understand why an application from 2014 has not been withdrawn or determined one way or another. It actually muddies the water so much. Where can anyone actually go and see whats been submitted, what’s been approved and what all the timescales are for the Northern Fringe as a whole?. Its the sort of thing our local paper should do, but no hope there..

In other news walked to Martlesham this morning and crossed the A12 at the pedestrian footbridge between the two martlesham roundabouts, the traffic was solid, very slow moving, pretty much from one roundabout to the other, and then there was a very long queue on the road behind Tesco to come out on to the main road near the Crown Point chip shop. It way be the holiday weekend or it may be like this all the time, but however you look at it Martlesham can’t take anymore traffic either, the NBP I think has to extend around the East of Martlesham and join up with the existing road at the Foxhall Road junction or at Seven Hills, to help keep Martlesham running as well..

very angry now, don't like inappropriate censorship,

#3563 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 64
    • Total Replies: 485
    • Contributions: 549

Many Conservative-voting villagers are getting really upset over plans of new housing developments in their villages. As local government hadn’t created policy they have been defaulted back to less-strict national framework protocol. Sounds like karma to me! Especially in Suffolk! The alternative would be a strong urban Ipswich with all new housing built there. They chose to suck power away from Ipswich… this is what you get.

At the time they were talking about a single carriageway to Westerfield Road? Labour had long planned for similar to Henley Road and are still pushing that “Northern Relief Route”. Ben Gummer actively refuses saying “Northern Bypass” (although did on radio a month or two back) – I don’t believe a word he says as he needs to silence those wanting a NBP in order to get his vanity project built. He got the funding and now has the architect so is being more vocal about the “next project”… well, the Upper Orwell Crossings will take a while to be built and to open… then there is the Star Lane traffic closure / Public Realm project moving the town closer to Ipswich Waterfront. Any progress for a half-hearted NBp would get axed at a moments notice.

I totally agree… it is silly keeping the old reference numbers when the application was originally submitted. Surely instead of leaving it in limbo they need to refuse it or approve it with conditions?

Ticking timebomb… that area is too developed as it is, with added traffic lights due to Adastral Park development its going to be a major problem. Forgetting the Northern Bypass for a moment… it is appalling how adding a bridge at the waterfront gets priority when it isn’t needed (okay the local AQMA areas are of grave concern); with South East Ipswich development and Martlesham etc. surely that section of the A12 should have been pushed for upgrades? £100m on such upgrade? Better spent than the UOC bridge but a dual carriageway Northern Bypass would sort much of the problems out. It probably does need extending to Foxhall Road.

70 mph flowing road from east to west (or vice versa) OR through the town mostly 30-40 mph roads, endless sets of traffic lights and junctions? No brainer! Likely to be more miles but faster journey… and the air pollution is taken outside of the town centre for better resident health. It also helps public transport by freeing up traffic from the roads.

#3567 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 59
    • Contributions: 59

While I agree with the Post’s of Mart and Dan I would like to point out another problem that Ipswich have and it will only get worst when Gummers baby gets built — The Bridge over the river kwai even that was destroyed in the end but unfortunately for Ipswich, this is no film. but it is in a way a form of diversion and of delaying tactics rather than build a NBP — he is a wily old bird and for that reason, I can not trust him — and don’t forget there will be elections coming again he has used that ploy once already — you may wonder where this is all leading — the point I am making is, traffic congestion on the Bishop’s Hill and Felixstowe road (A1156) is horrendous at certain times of the day this dam bridge is only going to add to it. why should this bridge come first before a NBP? is there no way of stopping it and put the need for a NBP first?
    Mart mentions that he has received letter IP/14/00638/OUTFL — I received mine 18 days ago and did mention it on here, would be interesting to find out the space of time between the two deliveries.
    Mart also mentions his observations of the traffic problems for Martlesham and Kesgrave — my daughter in law who works for a council based in Ipswich face this problem every day on her journey to and from work — too far to walk — Mart is right in what he say’s — he can see it — we can see it — why the hell cannot the SCC see it — instead of pussy footing about and coming up with all kinds of excuses — admit that you are wrong — and give us a NBP — a couple of old sayings — if it is too hot in the kitchen get out — or another one used is —
    if you cant shit get off of the pot.

#3569 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Incidentally an NBP topic has started up on Nextdoor, following on from discussion about the wind farm cabling works, I’ve pointed people here if they really want to discuss it.

#3570 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Ben Gummer was fielded by the Tories. They tricked the dumb Ipswich electorate into getting their vote at a time when people were fed up with Chris Mole (infamous for inaction) and Labour.  Ben was child-like (surprising for his age), a local boy (not at all), he spoke normally, spent more time with people (down-to-earth), said he was different, said he would put Ipswich first, communicated to the people he ran two successful businesses (no evidence provided since of this) and published the history book (that no one has read or seen in shops).

He was a product of Tory marketing… intelligent history book author, down-to-earth can chat down the pub to people, experienced in business (all Tories are; some genuinely, most not) and didn’t talk with a plum in his throat which working class people hate! Who wouldn’t this person representing you? “but he is a Tory”, “he is different…” of course not. People were too stupid to know he was the son of Gummer!

He got additional responsibilities immediately on becoming MP. He sold out on Ipswich at the time he became the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health. From day one it has all been about Conservatives. From that role onwards it has all been about him. The people of Ipswich would have voted him out… but Labour fielded David Ellesmere… this parliamentary term people are sick off him. Can’t see him getting reelected. People can finally see his true colours.

You are spot on Watchfull, the vanity project bridge is delaying tactics. The Northern Bypass his dad infamously pulled is unlikely to be restarted by him. He knows he is safe to next general election so he can say whatever it takes to make his job easier. They aren’t realistically going to get funding, a proper route and the like before then! We don’t have to accept the bridge… they have burnt millions so far to get to this stage (I would guess around £5m) but it is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. Pull the plug! Millions would have only been wasted on the consultancy for another project. They wasted over 20 million pounds on Travel Ipswich. For me, its not so much about building a pointless bridge… and it isn’t just the lack of a Northern Bypass… the lack of A14 upgrades PLUS using Ipswich for Felixstowe HGV traffic is a major concern to our health through increased heavy diesel air pollution. Ourselves and the next generation deserves far better.

Next months elections aren’t parliamentary General Elections… but the Conservatives need to keep control of Suffolk County Council. Ben will say whatever he can for Tory votes. SCC refused a FOI request of information they hold on Northern Bypass planning. Why is that?

There is major problems for traffic through the entire East of Ipswich area… Martesham to the top down to congestion around Ransomes Europark, Futura Park and other planned developments. It is a disgrace and why we need a unitary authority covering the Greater Ipswich area.

#3571 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Martin, do many people use Nextdoor? I am hoping they won’t compete with this topic.

The main difference with IPSWI is anyone (within reason – if constructive etc) is welcome to join in conversation!

#3572 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Nextdoor is not doing much so far, a few requests for handymen and that sort of thing, and I think what I am seeing is spread across quite a bit of North East Ipswich/Rushmere. You get assigned to your bit but can then see all the neighbouring areas, which is annoying as I also want to look at town centre but its too far away so can’t add it. I wasnt going to use it, but clicked on it, as was straight in with no verification, presumably just taking my old Streetlife account details, so it was wipe it, or use it. Have subsequently tried to make myself a bit more anonymous.

This popped up three days ago and has had 6 replies.Ipswich Northern Bypass
    Brian ***** from Rushmere St Andrew · 3d ago
    Such a pity that the people responsible for the road networks through Suffolk are not able to foresee the problems that will occur if the infrastructure doesn’t keep pace with development. The A12 is a major trunk route from London to Great Yarmouth so why does it stop at Ipswich? Traffic lights? Then to compound the problems it joins the A14 to pass over the only suitable route for this major trunk route, though, as this takes the traffic from the largest container port in the country to the industrial Midlands it should have been a Motorway. The A12 should have followed the obvious route to the North of Ipswich, thus leaving Ipswich through traffic free. But as we elect politicians like the Gummers and our local politicians want to keep Suffolk as a quiet backwater it is to be expected that this is what it will always be. So no Snoasis, no Bentwaters airport, no Olympic standard sports training facilities. A good place to retire to thankfully that’s where I’m at!

#3573 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 85
    • Total Replies: 189
    • Contributions: 274

I keep getting emails “tempting me” over to Nextdoor.

I don’t need to with IPSWI.

Is it still over-moderated? It used to annoy me on streetlife that they will pull comments for using humour.

#3574 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

I’ve not noticed any moderation to be honest, but then it’s all quite low key and quiet, so far. A topic is never going to get great coverage is the areas are all so small, for instance I suspect watchful and me wouldn’t be able to see each others posts as too far apart, and whilst it was a bit like that on Streetlife, once you found and added to the topic you were in.

#3576 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Ah right, so it is ripe for false trade recommendations abuse.

They are a bit too local then which isn’t the British way, we generally don’t want to talk with neighbours unless face-2-face.

#3596 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Ben Gummer has no desire for a Northern Bypass, use your vote in June to remove him from office.

The local MP started off with our hospital care in mind, he is showing no desire to prevent the loss of services and availability with the Colchester hospital merger. He is obsessed with wasting money on a bridge which won’t solve anything. Is quiet about the housing developments no one wants and very quiet about infrastructure improvements. His acceptance of being on the vision which is undemocratic…

#3597 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

apparently Ellesmere will not be standing again. So question is; what are our choices going to be? Is it a bit of a leap for Orwell Ahead to go all out and field an independent for the general election as well the local elections? could an independant who stood on local issues such as the NBP, stopping the UOC, a review of Cornhill, and maybe a few other pertinent local issues manage to canvas a decent vote?

I think this chucks it all up in the air, and I have no idea where any of it will land but it should be an opportunity so far as this topic is concerned to support a candidate, whom ever that maybe, that makes a genuine NBP commitment.

Profile photo of DanProfile photo of Watchfull

#3600 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

The snap election element makes it difficult impossible for any person to get organised other than the existing candidates. It isn’t very democratic and shouldn’t be allowed. “Snap” elections should only be for limited instances such as dissolution of parliament.

This means an independent person with the town at heart wouldn’t be able to communicate across enough to get any more than 10% of the votes cast and it could be argued such votes were “none of the above” or protest votes.

It is a shame – anyone being bold to scrap the Upper Orwell Crossings and to investigate the plans for a Northern Bypass – could get a lot of support. Unfortunately people are only really voting who they want as an MP without caring about where they live.

#3611 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

First things first Ben Gummer is just riding the crest of the wave knowing full well that the SCC will hang on for years before finally giving in and let Ipswich have a much needed NBP — not only should we give him the heave hoo but Dan Poulter with him — but is there anyone else that we can replace them with — certainly not Labour — I would love to see independents on the ballot sheet.
    Can not understand what Dan is saying (Is quiet about housing developments no one wants and very quiet about infrastructure improvements)
    Of course, we want more houses we want our town to grow — but we must also have the infrastructure as well — not houses first then infrastructure — but both at the same time. — what I will say is — no infrastructure no houses — especially if anyone is talking about the Northern Fringe big build — Ipswich and Felixstowe badly need that NBP — there are lots of other things that Ipswich needs — and the bridge over the river kwai and the skateboard area in the town centre is just two of them –could do with some independants and a Unitary Authority though.

#3612 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Sorry should have said — there are lots of things that Ipswich don’t need bridge over the river kwai and skateboard area in town centre

#3614 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, no one will vote an independent with enough votes to win. They will vote for who they want as the prime minister.

#3638 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

I may be wrong and therefore stand to be corrected — it would appear that David Goldsmith and Erion Xhaferaj are now leaving the IBC and standing as candidates for the SCC — if they are between councils so to speak how can anyone contact them by E Mail — how can one get the correct EM address? — I had cause to contact Erion Xhaferaj by email way back in 10-6-16 and did not find him all that helpful — here endeth the first lesson —

Mart/Martin has got it right now that May has called for another election for June this have chucked everything up in the air, and we have to support a candidate that makes a genuine commitment to the NBP — Ben Gummer has done this — mind you, he done this once before and ended up going for a bridge instead — can we trust him this time around?

The letter I received from the Conservative Candidates Whitehouse & Whitton Electoral Division state’s five points of what they will do for us if they get in — point 5 say’s — Build a 21st-century infrastructure for our county to encourage growth and prosperity — they will have to move much faster than they have been doing to satisfy the likes of me — and that must include a NBP — May has done right in calling for another/snap election under the circumstances that the country now face — but it has thrown a spanner into the works as far as we and our quest in concerned — Ipswich have no true representation on the SCC therefore that leaves us in somewhat of a pickle — Labour have lost its way unfortunately for us I don’t think there will be any independent/s candidates standing — bang go’es my hopes for a Unitary Authority this time around — WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

#3639 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Some candidates do switch between councils over the years I have noticed – I am not sure, perhaps you can be both a county councillor and a borough councillor?

Without asking too much about the specific issue raised… can you elaborate on why you didn’t find him helpful? Did he not take your concerns seriously? Slow response? Canned replies?

It is really frustrating with the snap election – its been on the books since last year and it shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise really – it would have been potentially fatal for the Tories if they allowed enough time for coalitions to be formed. The next General Election (what would have been) would have been a good opportunity for a candidate to push the Unitary Authority agenda along with NBP etc.

Are they having a laugh? No way Dan Poulter is agreeing to a Northern Bypass. Whitton council estate was 1936… after the original Ipswich “northern” bypass (A1214) was built along with the Ipswich “eastern” bypass down to Felixstowe Road. This was the last of out-of-town road infrastructure projects in the town except the Ipswich “southern” bypass, today’s A14 including Orwell Bridge which was only built for Felixstowe. This only leaves a few projects including Civic Drive and Star Lane gyratory which were far from future proof. All the housing in Ipswich are pretty much post-war (therefore after the Ipswich bypasses were built, except the south)…  North West.. Castle Hill and other housing expansion, North East.. Rushmere, South West… Chantry, Stoke Park, Pinebrook, Brookwood, South East… Broke Hall, Ravenswood etc. This does mean quite simply (although arguably when the north and east bypasses were built they were in effect built before they were really needed) – apart from silly chicanes and one-ways, and the odd resurfacing and traffic light junctions – there has been no real infrastructure upgrades…

The above list excludes significant neighbouring traffic from Kesgrave (which was a small village with couple of hundred people when the bypasses were built), Stowmarket/A14 corridor expansion, Martlesham Heath (on land of old RAF base), Woodbridge expansion, Felixstowe Port expansion after expansion, and the trend of multiple cars per dwelling. Further add in the relatively new concept in the 20th century of out-of-town retail.

Now we are faced with the Northern Fringe, Adastral Park and Wolsey Grange… there is no plans for a Northern Bypass. It is absurd. Without driving miles around there are only 3 routes across town… A1214 bypass, Crown Street and Star Lane gyratory. There is the optional route of the A14 Orwell Bridge which is at capacity… large volumes of HGV vehicles and such a demand incidents occur all the time. Let us not forget that the council is wanting to develop the sugar beet factory site as Sproughton Enterprise Park to the West of the town and more industrial demand is at the South East part of town with additional phases of Futura Park and Alston Park (next to Futura Park) to come in addition to further development of Ransomes Europark.

If Ben Gummer gets his way with the Upper Orwell Crossing and Enterprise Island it is more town centre traffic demand (in addition to the town centre housing planned), if the Princes Street office corridor ever gets tenants that is more traffic… even with a Northern Bypass there is going to be significant traffic problems in town. It will reduce 30% of road traffic but during peak times allowing for incidents and roadworks there is still going to be problems. If we are to be an enterprising county hub, we need 4 or 5 Park & Ride sites to eliminate vehicles from outside the town coming in and clogging up our road network… this service needs to be much better than what Ipswich Buses (and soon First) have been providing. I will stick much blame on Suffolk County Council for this. Furthermore, an HGV ban needs to be implemented across Ipswich… Felixstowe HGV traffic gets the option between the A14 Orwell Bridge and (if/when it is built) a Northern Bypass. Ipswich Port traffic can access via Wherstead Road (plus alternative routes when the road is closed for roadworks). Industrial HGV traffic can find the closest route to the industrial estate. Relaxing the rules of HGV allowed for genuine deliveries.

Ipswich Borough Council needs to take responsibility and build the most expensive multi-storey car parks… a 900 space car park would have cost £12 million pounds apparently but would have eased congestion of people hunting around town for a parking space.

#3658 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Old article into the debate….

A large part of the 20-acre (8 ha) island site, which has limited access, is currently used as a lorry park.

Andrew Harston, from ABP, said: “A new crossing and increasing development on the island site would be a significant enhancement to Ipswich.”

Two options are being proposed for the bridge crossings. The first would see three bridges built at an estimated cost of £78m, while the second involves two crossings costing £60m.

Mr Gummer said the project would take between 15 and 20 years to complete but hoped one of the bridges would be built within the next five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-29738664

What is the latest estimate for the Northern Bypass? It was a quick turnaround to get funding for Upper Orwell Crossings…

#3660 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

What is the latest estimate for the NBP? I don’t know — But did not the SCC once say that they want 15 years to come to a conclusion — ring any bells?? — Somewhere I also read that Cambridge university was interested in building some sort of complex there and working with the university of Ipswich — now that would be something for this town — my trouble is — I have a one track mind — NBP NBP NBP nothing less will do.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io