Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass NBP Part 4!

This topic contains 194 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 4 hours, 51 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 75
    • Total Replies: 176
    • Contributions: 251

The Upper Orwell Crossing public consultation comments is here in black and white…

Upper Orwell Crossing public consultation

A big proportion of people declining the bridges and many calling for a Northern Bypass… reading these comments really made me smile. Glad I done the FOI otherwise these would have never been seen.

#3137 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 47
    • Contributions: 47

Ipswich Star March 14 2017 Paul Geater again
    Its not Orwell Crossing Or Northern By-pass insists council leader Colin Noble — neither of them seem to like Ipswich — is it time for them to go?
    ANGLE March 2017 Page 15 Councils Budget Plans All the things they are planning for Ipswich — no mention of all about our traffic problems — or a NBP the Boroughs share of council tax 20% — Police and crime 10% — Suffolk County Council 70% — how much of that 70% is spent towards Ipswich
    MasterPlan To Transform Sugar beet Site page 22 About time — but what about the Tooks bakery Site — What about our NBP — are they all mouth and trousers?
    Time for a Unitary Authority dont you think perhaps they can get it sorted — is it time for another Cromwell to march into the SCC chop off a few heads and kick em out?

#3140 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Suffolk County Council will have it easy in the local elections… for the exact reason we in Ipswich want to get rid of them. The rest of Suffolk will vote for more anti-Ipswich bashing, it is a numbers game.

I haven’t received a copy of the Angle in at least 5 years – as you are in North West Ipswich I am not surprised the borough is sending it out there.

Suffolk County Council aims to stick more money into the bridge project in Lowestoft than the vanity project in Ipswich, despite our urban area having far more than their 60,000 inhabitants. 3 times as much. This cash is stockpiled council tax they have refused to spend. An unnecessary amount of reserves. I would prefer the police to get a bigger percentage.

The sugar beet factory “masterplan” are just plans and they will have exactly the same problem as Princes Street and Ipswich Waterfront. As a sweetener to kick-start development they are planning some more car showrooms… could we see a Costa opposite Starbucks on West End Road? Building on to an already congested area.

Tooks Bakery site is to become housing – council houses I believe (around 60, 40-41 “affordable homes”) – I thought this would be a priority project but not before a local election. This is another 100 or so cars added to an already congested area (notice a theme?) This might stall for a couple of years as the borough is overspending – we could see financial problems in the mid-term.

Northern Bypass isn’t being looked at. Such a big issue but Suffolk County Council won’t release information it has on it. What is it trying to hide? I might ask Colin Noble to reconsider the FOI request if he feels it is that important. A Northern Bypass won’t be considered until the Upper Orwell Crossing bridge is built – it will take that long for another report? We (the people) need to stand up and say this isn’t acceptable and is needed now. Let’s make some good process before”concrete is poured” as Ben Gummer would say.

#3142 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 6
    • Total Replies: 205
    • Contributions: 211

We got an Angle delivered to the Office town centre. Was surprised, hadn’t seen one in any form for ages, but hey, elections coming up.  Was a bit confused when first it arrived as its now a smaller format, Ipswich has dropped from the name, its just Angle… No mention of bridges, bypasses nor Cornhill

I'm really quite cross now, so watch out!

#3144 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

It do look as though a NBP could be another 15 Years wait — we must keep pushing it — but ofcourse the Northern Fringe build will have been done and dusted by that time — and I think it is only fair to say it will be up to you young uns — in 15 years time you will not have a grumpy old so and so like me to keep moaning about it — I will be on the great motorway up there — that is if I pass the test — SOH
    The beet factory site could have been sorted way back in 2006 I think that was messed up by the IBC
    Tooks Bakery was supposed to have started this year with 45 dwellings a Docs surgery and some shops etc so what is the hold up there?
    And as Martin C have pointed out — the ANGLE — no mention of bridges NBP or the Cornhill — I honestly think that the IBC and the SCC councillors are wondering just what is going to happen in May — I know just what I would like to see — but must admit I am hoping — up the UA

#3145 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Costa’s!! and Starbucks — Costa’s coffee a £3 a cup — the SUN — 8 cups £24-00 — fill up half tank of petrol for that

#3147 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 43
    • Total Replies: 336
    • Contributions: 379

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t the Ipswich Angle obsession of the borough printed by Archant and including old news stories from the Ipswich Star? It is just like giving Archant a grant for biased and lack of freedom-of-the-press reporting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if BID levy payers got one and Labour were pushing it for North West to entice people with a promise of a Northern Relief Route (to Henley Road). The report on the Angle I read about (council meeting report) suggested delivery by Royal Mail. I have been received post…

Confidence, those in charge are probably expecting planning a new housing development will attract housing developers to the town for other parts of land.

I am not surprised, the next edition of  the Angle will contain news on it. It was printed before the announcements for Upper Orwell Crossings and Cornhill. Why are taxpayers buying up Ipswich Star’s old news?

#3150 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

No, its not not got any old Star stuff in it. Its only got IBC adverts, makes no mention of Archant other than to say that it also published in the Star. No idea how it got here. Here you go;

#3151 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Thanks for the upload Martin…

The Angle is published by Ipswich Borough Council to keep residents up to date about Council information and services.

The Angle is distributed to more than 50,000 homes in the Borough. It is also included as a supplement in the Ipswich Star.

Old FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_newspaper_72

https://democracy.ipswich.gov.uk/documents/s16291/E-16-43%20Future%20of%20the%20Angle.pdf

£57,630 is wasted on that nonsense each year. Not a massive amount in the grand scheme of things but enough to provide basic entertainment at the cornhill to boost the town centre – just an example.

#3152 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

and its smell funny as well, sort of all inky and that, not a nice thing to handle to be honest…  I can understand them doing it as a separate thing though, as no one actually buys the Star now do they?

When is news bot doing the Woodbridge Road gas main closure story ? I really need to vent on that one, not so much about the works but about the appalling reporting of the story…

#3153 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Guess what… Orwell Bridge closed eastbound, heavy goods vehicles once again pounding their way through Ipswich…. oh joy…

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/a14_closed_between_copdock_and_nacton_after_serious_collision_1_4933785

Speed limit helping then…

Profile photo of Ipswi

#3161 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    #3198 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Could you believe it?

Port of Felixstowe announcing further expansion.

Many good comment on Ipswich Star… This one from mark ling…

Ipswich has a 1518 Royal Charter from Henry VIII giving the town and people of Ipswich “all liberties, franchise, authorities, privileges, jurisdiction and and immunities .forever” the rights since to the Orwell river and its shores. The County and neighbouring districts benefit handsomely from Ipswich’s entitlements now. It’s time for the Port of Felixstowe, Suffolk County Council and Suffolk Coastal District Council (East Suffolk) to consider the impact on the whole Orwell peninsula and to work now to equip it with a full Ipswich orbital (a dual carriageway Northern bypass) and a dual, electrified rail line between Felixstowe and Ipswich.

I couldn’t agree more, and on the basis of our town’s rights to the River Orwell (known historically also as Ipswich Water) Felixstowe have no right to argue the case of a Unitary Authority including them.

#3203 Score: 1
    Watchfull
    Participant

Just a minute! King John gave Ipswich the Charter on the 25th May 1200 15 years before the Magna Carta was signed on the 5th June 1215 — mind you in those days some times it was taking away and the town/s had to buy them back — if the kings were short of money or needed men to fight wars — Mark Ling is correct in saying Henry VII gave us a charter but the old bugger sharfted Ipswich and stopped Ipswich from ever becoming a place of learning/a university town — Thomas Wolsey had half built his college and it was linked to Wolsey’s Oxford College with scholars already living and working within — old Henry noticed that Wolsey’s coat of arms was above the door and not his — he had it pulled down and all the materials shipped to London — they left the Wolsey gate — why because if you take alook Henry VIII coat of arms is on it — I suggest the dam thing is pulled down and used as rubble in the construction of a NBP

Profile photo of Dan
    #3205 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

A very tragic set of events. I do wonder how different Ipswich may have become…

• Would the town have more affluent residents?
    • Would our industry have been the same?
    • Would the medieval road layout have remained?
    • Would we have displaced Norwich to being the regional capital?
    • Would we have become a city?
    • Would we be a top tourist destination in the UK?

I am not sure why it took us so long to establish a university, does anyone know why this hadn’t happened despite University of East Anglia and University of Essex in 1963? Anglia Ruskin isn’t much older (interesting history of being a polytechnic but became a university in 1992).

#3223 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Despite the fact that Ipswich was stitched up over 20yrs ago by John Gummer now Lord Deben, it now looks as though Ben Gummer is following the same path while looking for a Night Hood himself — of the same Yoke it would seem — will he become Lord Orwell? or will it be Lord Nimby — I have been re-reading — Willis Building Architects, chosen for upper Orwell Crossing — it would appear that many are not all that happy with the bridges before a NBP — what deeber have had to say in his post is very interesting as with many others — IpswichBristol is correct in saying that we need someone who is able to give the idea of a NBP a big push — some big transport company? — the question is who can we get to do this — it would appear that the Ipswich Star have not got the guts for it, I wonder why? is it because they think it is too political? I would have thought that with the news that the port of Felixstowe is now thinking of further expansion, it would have come out with some masterful headlines and really given their failing news sheet one hell of a boost.

#3224 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Ben Gummer had no real desire to enter politics. He was in la-la land as a one-hit-wonder book author. His dad made him a director of the family business so he could get an (interest free) directors loan. “pocket money“. To create a good case, he was later signing company documents as director (not Managing Director) despite no public record of Ben Gummer being a Managing Director for the family firm… their website has absolutely no mention of him on it in any capacity. This same firm bankrolled his engineering company.

John Gummer selected Ben for conservative open primary. He needed someone in the House of Commons. Someone who can toe-the-line. Someone who in effect can be a proxy for him. Locally he wants someone to uphold the block to a Northern Bypass. Ben was very different back then… very wet behind the ears and child-like. You may remember his early interviews when he spoke rather “normal” without this Toryfication. His dad clearly sent him to Tory finishing school. It was obvious why Ben stood for election but the people of Ipswich couldn’t see it and decided to vote him as he seemed down-to-earth (innocently childlike, not a typical Tory, and labour couldn’t be trusted) with no one else really to vote for. He grew up quickly and got reelected for similar reasons (no credible alternative). The people of Ipswich must hold some responsibility as to why the Northern Bypass is 15 years away, although if David Ellesmere or anyone else was elected no likelihood they would have pursued it anyway.

Since pushing for central government funds for the Upper Orwell Crossings Ben has resigned as a director of the family firm and no longer a shareholder. Many on Ipswich Star allege the family firm has shares in Associated British Ports (ABP) set to benefit from the deal. I couldn’t find any evidence of this through a quick search although ABP is owned by a cascading number of companies, ultimately a jersey company which is owned by many other international businesses. It is possible that such business or Gummer family owns shares in one of them.

So many people are against the Upper Orwell Crossings and Cornhill Redevelopment. Shocking in number! IpswichBristol is a member of Orwell Ahead. Their idea of a transport company pushing the campaign is very sound but it is a volatile situation, any company pushing for this, risks alienating the chamber and various other significant partners they operate with.

Ipswich Star is an Archant (Norwich) newspaper title. Their new editor has been a big disappointment so far. They were warned of the Ipswich Vision Group breaking ties with them if they continued their Northern Bypass campaign. This is why their NBP campaign is “still ongoing” but not making any mention of it. The town MP (currently Ben Gummer) is a member on the Ipswich Vision Group (who doesn’t want a Northern Bypass, and has his bridge vanity project) as is Suffolk County Council who also doesn’t want a Northern Bypass. Both these parties are Conservative and I am sure Gummer Senior is a pin-up idol to them. Other parties are easily persuadable. It must be a dilemma, recently a lot of people have been calling out for a Northern Bypass and the relaxed moderation has been a mediation solution to the problem… they won’t officially support a Northern Bypass any further, however, won’t filter out the support so much anymore. Win win? They could be in trouble longer term.

#3236 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

David Ellesmere who hasn’t replied to our letter about supporting an Northern Bypass back when we wrote to him in November when the Orwell Bridge closed… as he doesn’t want to commit himself making a statement for or against… has instead used his time ‘wisely’ Tory bashing for Ipswich Star.

I can only conclude this means neither his Ipswich Borough Council administration nor a Labour majority at Suffolk County Council would support a Northern Bypass. David is in favour of the Upper Orwell Crossings…

#3269 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Michael B
    Michael B
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 13
    • Contributions: 13

We will not get a northern bypass, because it would run through land owned by the rich NIMBYs.  The longer they put it off,the more the land increases in value.  I doubt that my offspring will see it in their life time.

The reasons for this are historical, but it seems no one dare say why and that includes the local council. Some one needs to voice it so it may as well be me. It started when cardinal Wolsey obeyed the pope and refused to give Henry the 8 permission for divorce. Result first he murdered Wolsey, then he destroyed the colleges,monastry and the castle, the only part being left is Wolsyes gate,and that because it had his crest on it. And our castle was more of  a castle than  the fort in Norwich is. Its never been castle its a bloody fort,built to hold 40  cavalry men and their horses. To keep the locals serfs in check.

Next during the civil war,no battles were ever fought in Suffolk, because it was a republican strong hold,they dare not come here. Forever more it has been the subject of neglect. Our hospital built up over many years by dedicated staff.  Yet the government tried to destroy what we had by  giving it to Norwich even Colchester tried it.  SO YOU SEE FOLKS WE ARE BEING PUNISHED FOR THE SINS OF OUR FOREFATHERS.

#3273 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster

Ipswich is a strange place.

The politicians must keep to a historical cycle of pulling the place down.
    At the same time do anything they can against promoting the town’s history.

They don’t deny, they will acknowledge it and one-hit-wonder history book author Ben Gummer is no exception, but no attempt to market the town for its history. Ipswich Waterfront this, Ipswich Waterfront that, Upper Orwell Crossings (at the waterfront), University of Suffolk (at the bloody waterfront!)… I don’t understand it.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io