Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass NBP Part 4!

This topic contains 194 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 4 hours, 52 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 75
    • Total Replies: 176
    • Contributions: 251

Well this labour candidate as rejected by the electorate that you talk of still hasn’t stated his position on the Northern Bypass; still waiting for a response to his letter which won’t be received (especially as labour wants SCC and the local election is upcoming). Has been over 3 months now, he has responded to other letters and confirmed receipt so I know he has it in his possession.

He had to stand down as a technicality. His position should have been instantly filled. Maybe I am mistaken but he resigned as a councillor (which would prompt a local election surely?), stood for Ipswich… didn’t win and obtained back both his taxpayer funded (although not much money, but not the point) councillor position and leader status.

I shall investigate this further!

#2918 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 6
    • Total Replies: 205
    • Contributions: 211

I thought Ellesmere had clearly stated his full support for the NBP.

and,

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/three_possible_routes_for_the_northern_bypass_around_ipswich_have_been_revealed_see_here_1_4850129

Ipswich Borough Council leader David Ellesmere said: “This study is of huge significance for the whole of Suffolk.
    “We have seen the damage to the local economy that relying on the Orwell Bridge as a single point of failure causes. Our creaking infrastructure will increasingly put a brake on Ipswich’s role as the key economic driver for Suffolk.
    “I welcome the publication of the interim report and look forward to the full study being completed as soon as possible.”

We all wait for the full study to be completed, but no one so far seems to want to tell us when that will be, despite asking..

I'm really quite cross now, so watch out!

#2920 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

In that case why doesn’t he respond to my letter?

It was in relation to the closed Orwell Bridge back in November a day after I set up Northern Bypass Ltd

You see, you can say what you like in the press… but you cannot be quoted directly from a signed letter, so he is avoiding making a statement (especially when he knows I have a potential vehicle to move forward with)

In retail there is a saying “smell what sells“, politicians are in power by popularity votes, they will jump on bandwagons to sway opinion to obtain or keep power (or simply their taxpayer funded job)… they know when the Orwell Bridge is shut etc. that people shout about the Northern Bypass very vocally… so as there is an local election coming up he is paying lip service.

He lost the public vote to become MP. So he knows he probably won’t get elected at next councillor elections… but he stands a better chance if Labour can gain control of the county. Being an MP for Ipswich is still Ellesmere pipe-dream… I think he has it in his head that if he can pull a few successes out of the bag that he might stand a better chance at the next parliamentary elections. Ellesmere isn’t too bad overall, but he has too much focus on political party and the attitude of leading a council just to create a credible career path to become an MP stinks. Most people can see through it and he knows he has to play significantly on the “Labour” card to stand a remote chance.

In other news, a recent Ipswich Star article on Six Year turnaround for the Upper Orwell Crossing has a lot of opposition comments regarding a Northern Bypass and the UOC being built on private land without contribution!

#2924 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 47
    • Contributions: 47

I do not know if ipswi was joking or having a quip? his remark —
    (The same go’es in respect to independents, surely someone could have stood) —
    I was given the offer to stand as a candidate but turned it down because I would not have been able to give it my all — the reason, at my age I have more bad days than I have good one’s — as regards my post about the mariner and bridges etc. I was trying to point out that they can get funding for schemes like that — that will only bring more mayhem to Ipswich — and at the same time they cannot make up their minds on what type of bridge to construct — they also needed four hours to yap about it when it should have been sorted in two hours — it has been said that it will take 15 years to sort out the NBP — I ask why can it not be done in five — just why can they not get their finger out and get on with — or do Norwich always have to come first — is it through not getting their finger out, that they are all suffering with constipation?

#2927 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

I was referring to in the parliamentary general election… although the choices to vote for were extremely limited – Ben Gummer or David Ellesmere – there were other options, not limited solely to independents – people (i.e. party members) could have come forward to stand for either major political party – especially Labour – who should have done that instead of fielding Chris Mole all those years back for the very last time.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way…if they wanted a Northern Bypass it would have been progressed so far, even if it failed the final hurdle. The reason why it is all hot, cold is the indifference between policy and words which can win votes.

Of course, Northern Bypass is a large project… we are talking of the trio (IBC, SCC, IC) who cannot find a single penny to do anything with the town centre. This has to be because neither care about the town. Taking a random example (but not critical or having an opinion on it) SCC Labour group has given Volunteering Matters £5000 to help newcomers settle into Ipswich; what about those already here?! In fact beyond that councillors get a small budget each year they can give to community groups and organisations… some very good causes funded this way but no penny going into improving the town! Why is that? 

If they cannot do simple touches (both as an administrative majority and as individual elected representatives) to help improve the town to the matter of hundreds of pounds for an hours work… how are they going to achieve a hundred plus million pound project with lots of planning?! However, they have… the Upper Orwell Crossing had to be planned… and Ben Gummer had to get funding from the council as well as local government. This is because the idea has been pushed… (private land owners and that jazz) the Northern Bypass hasn’t for decades, and “Northern Route” gets a mention from time-to-time!

It is clear the Northern Fringe will have to be built first before anyone plans a Northern Bypass. Unless we can do something about it!

#2938 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Here you go, its done. No houses lost, no villages destroyed. I’m afraid that Fynn Valley Golf Course has suffered a bit though..

Junction at Claydon will need remodelling..

Henley Road and Westerfield Road can link in..

Its tempting to extend to the East, east of Martlesham and Brightwell, behind Adastral Park, as it avoids the Martlesham roundabout which are congested as it is with lots of local traffic, maybe link back into the A12 at Foxhall Road.

#2944 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Great work! Not to worry, there are golf courses everywhere! I am sure a new golf course could be established in Mid Suffolk if needs be.

#2952 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Anyone want to talk with ITV Anglia?

It is election time (well campaigns…), so I expect many half-hearted queries about this.

#2954 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

I see Mr Gummer is tweeting about some exciting Ipswich News coming this afternoon. No idea what yet, lets bet its not about the NBP shall we!!

#2956 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Oh, I can see…

Have to be politics related and guessing by the 6-year-open article the Ipswich Star recently did, I am guessing it is related to the Upper Orwell Crossing and that the disruptive preliminary works are going to start!

#2958 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Architect been chosen and designs revealed for Upper Orwell Crossings… looking forward to doing what I can if that is the case.

#2960 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

bridges, yawn…

#2962 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

BBC Suffolk reporting details for Lowestoft’s third crossing.

Also news on Suffolk CC website…

Announcement on Lake Lothing Third Crossing design process
    Published 10 Mar 2017

Suffolk County Council is announcing on Friday 10 March 2017 that it will be supported by Design Council Cabe.

As a leading provider of independent and expert design advice, Design Council Cabe will help ensure a sound design process for the Lake Lothing Third Crossing in Lowestoft.

Design Council Cabe will lead design workshops and reviews with the project design team, using an independent design advice panel drawn from their network of experts. The panel will consist of architects, landscape architects, urban planners and designers and engineers to ensure all elements of the scheme are properly considered.

Possibly the same for Ipswich and the Wet Dock Crossing / Upper Orwell Crossing??

#2966 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

that’s a design? To me it a vague idea of a couple of river crossings, no details what so ever. The images are all caveated with something about this being for the competition only, so we have a long, long way to go. And how does it tie into the road network? Surely that’s as significant as what the damned think looks like.

#2970 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 43
    • Total Replies: 336
    • Contributions: 379

Yes, it is official… Ipswich Star and Gummer has been sitting on this news all day.

Fosters chosen to design Upper Orwell Crossings

They are very gifted architects but I am the only one in Ipswich not remotely excited about it?

#2973 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

I’m not against the bridge per se, I can see some benefits to the town. What really boils my p*** is the fact this has been put before the Northern Bypass, which for so many reasons solves so many other local problems, as well as regional issues. If there is the will to do this, then there should also be the will to do the NBP, and I suggest Mr Gummer bring the full force of his obvious ability to get that moving as well, with no more excuses. Of course there is nothing glamorous about a bypass, quite the opposite, Norman Foster is not going to be interested in that, (so no kudos for anyone involved) unless of course we can stick a mini Millau Bridge across the Fynn Valley, now there’s an idea…

#2975 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 43
    • Total Replies: 336
    • Contributions: 379

What I find funny is the island site has adequate connection at current which sees full-size HGVs drive down there. How does having a bridge – which may become a landmark – encourage people to invest in the Ipswich Waterfront? The artist impression in the article made it seem like it would be the full width of the Orwell further down where the Orwell Bridge is.

A single-carriageway… with bottlenecks either side – it may look nice – but cannot achieve its purpose… and if it is that high-up you will have people jumping off.

It seems clear to me that the clinic and Brewery Tap will need to go.

Is the cost of buying up land included in the overall project cost so far… if not, how long will it take to obtain such funds and where from???

Unless I am mistaken, what the Waterfront businesses won’t realise right now on hearing this news, is they will have to pay contributions towards it…

#2994 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 47
    • Contributions: 47

So it is going to happen, a second bridge across the Orwell — ITV Anglia New’s, — a bridge going nowhere will it really help the traffic problems of Ipswich, I doubt it — Ben Gummer thinks so, but he also admitted that the problems of Ipswich would be best served by a much needed NBP — so once again the IBC and the SCC have gone — A about F — When I ask, will we get one — in another twenty years?? — the SCC have got to be chivied along — they want 15 years to think about it — I say 5 years max — but of course anything can happen next May — I have never been a political animal — have always voted for the party or the man that I thought would serve Ipswich best — I notice that we may have independent candidates in the field this time around — hem very interesting — the chance of a Unitary Authority at last? — even if these candidates don’t get but get a goodly share of the votes, those sitting comfortably in their seats will think crikey the cats are chasing us — and we are —

Ipswich Ltd have given us a platform to shout from — at the moment there are only three or four of us posting — how to get it out to a wider audience I know not how? — if we fail to achieve this we will end up just talking amongst ourselves — IP have told me that he is very busy at the moment up until May — when he have it in mind to improve this site and do some thing to improve publicising it I wish him all the best in his task — but time waits for no man —

At the moment I feel that we have hit a stumbling bock, mainly we are getting no feed back or imformation from anywhere — I will not be deserting my post so to speak, but will be laying back some what from now on, and only be jumping in now and again, until I can see more momentum. — to the SCC and others — NO I HAVE NOT STOPPED SHOUTING — you have not heard the last from me yet.

#3003 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

Watchfull, as per my email the other day I am told Mr Gummer is going to be contacting all interested parties with an NBP update soon. I guess with all the excitement about his bridge we have to let the dust settle on that for a few more days at least. what the update will tell us, we will have to wait and see, but when it come it will at least, or i hope it will, clarify exactly where the official line is on this now. At the moment we know about the interim report with the 3 vague routes, and from that we know that a full report is to be produced. What I have been trying to find out is when that report will be published, we all need to know the timelines proposed. When we know that official position then we can push to make it happen quicker, if indeed the timescales are long as I fear they might be. So watch this space, something more is coming, and I assume it must be quite soon. Just remember that despite how it looks SCC, IBC and Gummer have put their name to, at very least, a Northern Relief Road, and at best a bypass. And the Northern Fringe is going to be as big a driver to make that happen as anything else I suspect. So have faith, things have come a long way in the last 18-24 months.

I’m still hanging my hat on this quote, which I will repeat again;

Ben Gummer
    22 March 2016 ·
    Great news today: we will start looking at options for a Northern Route around the top of the town.
    I pledged at the election that I would secure the funds to do this important study and I have worked hard with partners over the past ten months, including Colin Noble at Suffolk County Council and David Ellesmere at Ipswich Borough Council, to achieve this. We now have the funding in place to do a proper route analysis so that we know where the best pathway would be for a Northern Route. It is vital we get this right soon as I am insistent that we need to ensure that the Northern Fringe is supported by proper infrastructure, not just to wait until the roads are completely clogged to force something to happen.
    We are now turning the tide in Ipswich – planning and building for the future so that we can have the prosperity and opportunity that our own deserves.

#3005 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant

evidence….

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io