Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass NBP Part 4!

This topic contains 202 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ipswich Ltd
    Ipswich Ltd
    Participant
    • New Topics: 4
    • Total Replies: 2
    • Contributions: 6

I have been asked by watchfull to start off the Northern Bypass Part 4 topic!

As streetlife is closing down and many peoples concerns with Next Door, the conversation will continue on IPSWI.

The original topic will be imported to IPSWI so you can refer back to posts.

Please bear with the site which can be a little troublesome, these problems will be ironed out over the next week or two.

The first three topics on the Northern Bypass had over 1200 messages. On IPSWI, please join the Northern Bypass group and keep most Northern Bypass discussions (i.e. any other related topics not part of this one) into the Northern Bypass groups forums. This allows everyone interested in discussing it together and avoid the issue on Streetlife where if you contribute a lot you end up losing your topics!

#415 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 85
    • Total Replies: 189
    • Contributions: 274

A Freedom of Information request for Northern Bypass Information was refused by Suffolk County Council and is awaiting an Internal Review.

Dear Suffolk County Council,

Please provide all documents and correspondence since 2010 regarding the idea(1) of a road(2) north(3) of Ipswich(4) which may or may not be related to the scrapped plan of the 1990s.

A previous request (the above later FOI request was a rephrase) was refused

Dear Suffolk County Council,

Please provide all documents and correspondence since 2010 regarding the proposed Northern Bypass for Ipswich.

Examples may include:-
    – correspondence with other councils, central government or politicians
    – internal meetings, surveys or reports
    – any objections or recommendations from residents or community groups

The above list isn’t exhaustive […]

Suffolk County Council’s response was:

There is no Suffolk County Council proposal for a Northern Bypass for Ipswich and hence no correspondence relating to such a proposal.

#624 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull
    Watchfull
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 59
    • Contributions: 59

Well done Ipswich Ltd for setting up this site we are now able to continue our quest for a much needed NBP — I will be introducing more punters but only the ones that have given me their email addresses — somehow we must find away of advertising this site to a larger audience have anyone got any ideas?

#628 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Once the faults are fixed with the site and more people have signed up I can start promoting the site out there.

It is a challenge but hopefully this week will have Northern Bypass Part 1, 2 and 3 uploaded. I might need to manually copy-and-paste each comment with over 1000 in total. I am very glad Martin has took his own copy, just in case I am missing comments. These topics will be read only. There was a number of short replies, but a great deal some really important, useful and helpful content so it is great it isn’t lost.

The exchanges between Suffolk County Council will be very interesting and if I can properly import it into IPSWI you will be able to view all Matts responses directly… the same with other supporters.

I have quite enjoyed going back to read the debate prior to me registering on streetlife. I feel that I took the topic slightly off on a tangent but it was clear to see how the council was treating taxpayers and voters.

#639 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Hi Ipswich Ltd Have just had an email from two of our old faithful they like what they have seen and just joined us — welcome on board — Jonh T and David L — one at least still to come — come on Joe S waiting for you
    Watchfull

#644 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Did anyone hear ITV Anglia News at 1800 hrs tonight — Ipswich and Suffolk are ranking 17th — in the most congested — in the UK — and still the SC want 15yrs to sort us out — come on you lot get your fingers out — or get out and make way for others who can do the job — we all know what party that is —
    In my opinion, the argument for a NBP for Ipswich has gone on long enough — why is it the citizens of Ipswich can see the dire need for an NBP — but to those that are paid to do the job, by the tax payer cant or won’t ????

#648 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

So glad you have got to grips with IPSWI watchfull! Takes a little getting used to.

I didn’t see the ITV Anglia news report… yet. But I will make sure I do. Up until now Ipswich has been self-regulating, not much growth in population due to deaths and people moving away… it could be that congestion sorts itself out with more people moving away?

From ITV News Anglia website…

Traffic jams in East Anglia among the worst in UK

Traffic congestion in towns and cities in the Anglia region are delaying drivers for hours and costing the economy millions of pounds.

Of the places surveyed by traffic information company Inrix, Luton and Cambridge are listed as the having the worst traffic jams in the East of England.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-02-21/traffic-jams-in-east-anglia-among-the-worst-in-uk/

I am very cautious however of Inrix’s study…

Places in the Anglia region listed as the UK’s most congested
    7th – Luton, Bedfordshire
    13th – Cambridge
    17th – Ipswich, Suffolk
    22nd – Chelmsford, Essex
    28th – St Neots, Cambridgeshire
    31st – Stevenage, Hertfordshire
    38th – Northampton
    40th – Colchester, Essex
    42nd – Milton Keynes
    60th – Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire
    65th – Wellingborough, Northamptonshire
    68th – Kettering, Northamptonshire
    73rd – Daventry, Northamptonshire
    78th – Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

Colchester’s road network gets really bad. I am not sure how it is only 40th? Or are they factoring every road overall?

#671 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Second try — Ipswich Ltd — your post regarding NBP parts 1-2-3 I know that you will get there in the end — without your help we would not have a platform for our debates — we are with you all the way — did have a smile as to one of your remarks — where you said that after reading parts 1-2-3 you felt that you had gone somewhat off tangent — I must say that one or two of us did feel that you did steal all the oxygen at times — glad that you did now, and you have shown/given us the way to carry on fighting in what we believe

#675 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Rather badly formatted data. The simple way just doesn’t work!

Local politicians like to make proactive persons feel a little special, will lay out a nice rug… (not red carpet) before pulling it out from underneath you!

This is why I didn’t approach this in the usual conventional way… such as get involved with the political party, meet as a fellow party member, build up support from other party members, allow it to feed through to the politicians… even representing an area as a councillor, slowly build up rapport, then down the road find out they aren’t even remotely interested in really pursuing a Northern Bypass.

The alternative way is close to impossible in Ipswich. People won’t unite on local issues or politics if not part of a political party. I am still looking to create a democratic group which may or may not work out. What you managed to achieve on streetlife was amazing. I am rather annoyed they decided to pull the site but its their property, so they can do what they want with it… even with your personal data it seems!

A few too many disagreements with Matt, but I am allergic to bullshit. Local authorities see people working together on local issues (or discussing them) as a threat to their power. I don’t think you started NBP topic with the view of getting rid of anyone and I certainly didn’t form Ipswich Ltd to displace anyone either… just wanting to improve where we live without spin of statements in the press or figures! Unfortunately, there is a few people that want to retain control of the town. I most certainly wish there was some major corruption behind closed doors but it is more along the lines of the BIG I-AM (not to be confused with Ipswich Arts & Museums which is of no more).

There has never been more need for my company, the violent out-of-control crime is going through the roof, every “improvement” project is doing the complete opposite and Ipswich’s profile isn’t improving no matter how many photos of videos you take of the Ipswich Waterfront!

The Northern Bypass and Orwell Unitary Authority are crucial to the growth of the town. Some Felixstowe residents are too proud to want to join Ipswich (possibly because of its reputation) but it will happen sooner or later once they have experienced East Suffolk decision making from Lowestoft but with housing near them.

#706 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Orwell Bridge Closure anticipated as an certainty as Storm Doris approaches. With Ranelagh Road closed and roadworks on Nacton Road today could be very special in terms of record Ipswich gridlock.

They are trying to keep the bridge open for morning rush hour – likely to close around 10am – and hoping to reopen before evening rush hour. Winds are expected to become more reasonable from 6pm. We will see.

An Northern Bypass would help relief congestion from a closed Orwell Bridge as a secondary objective. Primary objective of boosting the local economy, supporting businesses and housing projects.

#710 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Ipswich Star update by Edmund Crosthwaite
    Should the Orwell bridge have to close — a diversion will be put in place through Ipswich — Who do they think they are kidding — we all know what that will mean — the Valley road (A1214) — more disruption noise and pollution for the good folk that live on that road — if you have any doubts just ask Martin C

#713 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

I assume the bridge will be closed until 6pm. Piss poor. Highways England East have a lot to answer for.

So much uncertainty. Heavy winds expected 10am to 6pm… this meant bridge closure! Highways England were avoiding to say this, other sources were the first to say it will be closed from 10am! Instead of guaranteeing a bridge closure from 10 am to 6pm – on the basis that it may reopen earlier if safe or close earlier if winds were too high… they messed everyone about with their assessments (last one at 9.30am).

Expect a lot of traffic congestion in Ipswich now.

#715 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 9
    • Total Replies: 278
    • Contributions: 287

watching traffic on Google maps, expecting the town to all light up in red shortly..

this is it now…

very angry now, don't like inappropriate censorship,

#719 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Very dangerous going over the bridge with these sort of winds… they had to decide of immediately closing the bridge for safety… if the traffic cams are live, you can see traffic still crossing the bridge 15 minutes or so later! (I stopped viewing after then but only saved a few cam still (latest 13 minutes past 10).

There are some safeguards – Felixstowe Port can book less lorries in to reduce the problem and the traffic shouldn’t really get too severe until the midday rush when everyone who doesn’t work seems to do their weekly shopping… and slightly after for the school run then evening rush hour. I am sure they are hoping to open the bridge for the evening rush hour, but as we know it will still cause problems with traffic flow.

Ipswich Buses seem to think the bridge will be closed at 11am… Bloody amateurs. But looking at the latest traffic cams it appears traffic is still going over; despite saying it is closed on the information screens, in the press and so forth. Expect more red on the map soon after 11am! No twitter apologies/excuses for delayed buses yet though. I really feel bad for bus companies and hopefully they will support a campaign for a Northern Bypass; however, I expect they don’t really care about poor service when they have a major “third party” excuse as to why it is delayed.

Normal service? Isn’t two routes with a temporary timetable or am I missing something?

Orwell Bridge 11am closure, disaster for town

#727 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Northern Bypass Ltd
    Northern Bypass Ltd
    Participant
    • New Topics: 3
    • Total Replies: 7
    • Contributions: 10

Will the police join us or just political spin?

From BBC Suffolk live news..

PCC describes ‘utter chaos’ when Orwell Bridge is closed

Posted at 9:36

As we wait for an announcement about the closure of the Orwell Bridge, the county’s Police and Crime Commissioner has been talking about the affect on travel in Ipswich when it happens.

Gridlock in Ipswich last time Orwell Bridge shut

Tim Passmore said: “The huge difficulty we’ve got of course, there isn’t really an alternative.

“It’s all very well saying divert it through Ipswich, we all know it just doesn’t work, it was utter chaos.

“Unfortunately I think those that perhaps are able to work at home or go somewhere else, one would encourage them to do that to try and reduce the gridlock to a minimum.

“In the longer term we have to find an alternative way of getting in and around Ipswich.

“It’s bad enough without the bridge being closed and it’s just absolutely devastatingly chaotic when it closes so longer term, we’ve got to find a solution.

“I don’t think anything else will do.”

Within minutes of the bridge and stretch of road including 60 mph restriction enforced by Average Speed Cameras… the A14 eastbound in the congestion zone, a car was involved in an incident – which I assume to be minor. There is a claim of “Police Trap” on Valley Road.

#739 Score: 0
    Watchfull
    Participant

Tim Passmore to his credit have said it all — (The huge difficulty we’ve got of course is there isn’t really an alternative) Oh but there is, over 1700 on this debate know the answer — the IBC and the SCC know the answer and have done for the past 20 years — so did John Gummer so do Ben Gummer — so do the people of Ipswich — and so it will continue until we have a strong united organisation that will take the bull by the horns and construct a NBP — A Unitary Authority — Pictures of the SCC all sitting around the table — they are ——– themselves — they could be out of a job come May

#741 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Keymaster
    • New Topics: 64
    • Total Replies: 485
    • Contributions: 549

Unfortunately,Tim Passmore is a Suffolk Conservative. Very little chance he would back a Northern Bypass.

From Felixstowe than moved to the north of Ipswich (Witnesham?)… as a politician he feels he need to say anything to keep public support in the police service. A wasted opportunity as no one trusts the police. If you looked into it I am sure he is on good terms with the Gummers and those councillors at Suffolk County Council.

You can’t just walk in and ask a political party to support you when standing for election… I know that is the “story” behind Ben Gummer getting elected. It would involve an awful lot of networking, established contacts, probably family related and of course some favours (“you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours”).

Profile photo of Michael B
    #760 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ipswi
    Ipswi
    Keymaster

Today clearly shows the need for a Northern Bypass and the inability of the Highways Agency Highways England and Suffolk Police in organising a plan for a closed Orwell Bridge. With recent experience and meetings of how to handle a bridge closure properly, it is clear this is just hot air… lessons haven’t been learnt – today was a complete shambles. I expected much more from the authorities – from better communication to better planning.

#764 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Northern Bypass Ltd
    Northern Bypass Ltd
    Participant
    • New Topics: 3
    • Total Replies: 7
    • Contributions: 10

Ipswich Star caught with their trousers down. A new pre-planned Press Release style misinformation piece published at 21:35 but intended for tomorrow.

Discussion of northern bypass for Ipswich brought to the fore again by A14 Orwell Bridge closure by Edmund Crosthwaite

An aerial view of the Orwell Bridge, which was shut during the high winds brought to Suffolk by Storm Doris.

Ipswich’s MP has said work must continue to provide the town with alternative routes for diverted Orwell Bridge traffic in the wake of yesterday’s closure.

The A14 over the River Orwell was shut for more than 10 hours due to Storm Doris, with traffic sent thorough Ipswich instead.

There had been better warning for drivers than on previous occasions, but Ben Gummer MP said this could only help so much.

He said there would be improvements with “better planning for bridge closures, but only around the margins.”

Mr Gummer repeated his view that the town needs other options to help deal with diverted A14 traffic in the future.

He added: “We need to press ahead with these two new projects, the wet dock crossing and a northern relief.”

Parts of Ipswich suffered heavily with the increased traffic, particularly in the evening rush hour.

A road around the north of the town has been suggested as one way of easing traffic problems when the Orwell Bridge has to close.

The issue was raised most recently in November when high winds shut the bridge and was mentioned again during yesterday’s disruption.

In January three possible routes for such a road were revealed – although the start of any work could be at least 15 years away.

The most northerly route would run from the A14/A140 junction to the A12 at Melton, but would have the least effect on easing traffic in Ipswich.

The middle and inner options both join the A14 at Claydon, with the former meeting the A12 at Woodbridge and the latter at the Martlesham roundabout.

The exact path of all three routes has not been decided.

Considering the roads have only just cleared an hour ago and roads have been complete mayhem all day (or at least since 10am!) a person couldn’t reasonably write an article calling today, tomorrow. Ipswich Star are up to their old tricks by rephrasing “northern relief [route]” as “northern bypass”. Something which annoys me. Ben Gummer still calling the new bridge project as the Wet Dock Crossing? He must have read enough documents calling it the new name the Upper Orwell Crossings. Especially when he apparently did all the hard work to secure the funding for it.

This quickly rushed article was probably published by mistake instead of saved (as a draft) – so don’t be surprised if it disappears… hence why I have included it all here.

Shame on you Ipswich Star.

#777 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mart
    Mart
    Participant
    • New Topics: 9
    • Total Replies: 278
    • Contributions: 287

Interesting. I have now waited 3 weeks for a reply from Mr G to my last inquiry to him about his progress with the Northern Route/Bypass and what happens next after the SCC three route publication.

No matter what’s been said since I am holding him to this (from his Facebook page), infrastructure BEFORE northern fringe:

Ben Gummer
    22 March 2016 ·
    Great news today: we will start looking at options for a Northern Route around the top of the town.
    I pledged at the election that I would secure the funds to do this important study and I have worked hard with partners over the past ten months, including Colin Noble at Suffolk County Council and David Ellesmere at Ipswich Borough Council, to achieve this. We now have the funding in place to do a proper route analysis so that we know where the best pathway would be for a Northern Route. It is vital we get this right soon as I am insistent that we need to ensure that the Northern Fringe is supported by proper infrastructure, not just to wait until the roads are completely clogged to force something to happen.
    We are now turning the tide in Ipswich – planning and building for the future so that we can have the prosperity and opportunity that our own deserves.

very angry now, don't like inappropriate censorship,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io