Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass for Ipswich

This topic contains 561 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Watchfull (Streetlife) Watchfull (Streetlife) 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 562 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SL_RayL
    Ray L
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 6
    • Contributions: 6

I am probably going to get shot down here, but I have very mixed feelings about the Northern Bypass. I can appreciate that it will ease the gridlock in Ipswich if there are problems with the Orwell bridge, but I am not sure how often this occurs (disclaimer – I only moved to Ipswich 2 years ago). I don’t think it will have a major effect on traffic in Ipswich town centre on a day to day basis – all the current the pinch points will remain. I agree it will reduce traffic on Valley Road and along through Kesgrave as well as parts of the A12 and A14 but it will essentially cater for passing traffic and not relieve the town centre.

As I have posted elsewhere, I don’t see it as an alternative to a dock crossing, which I think has the potential to genuinely open up town centre traffic. However, I really don’t think there is any way we will get a Northern Bypass until pressure from business/Felixstowe Port and the likely new northern suburb builds sufficiently in years to come. We know that SCC don’t seem care about the people of Ipswich and so if we fight a losing battle for the Northern Bypass we will probably get nothing at all for a decade or more (especially now we have our ‘fantastic’ new £21m traffic management scheme!)

I think we should support the dock crossing while we have a decent chance, rather than fight for something we know that in the current political climate we have no chance of getting.

Once the dock crossing is in place, we can fight together for the next stage – the Northern Bypass.

#2126 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 218
    • Contributions: 218

Ray L You wont get shot down but may be fired on–As you are aware that is what a debate is all about–hearing other peoples thoughts-reasons-and opinions–make no mistake the expansion north of Westerfield will go a head–without a NBP people will have to use the Henley Road–Westerfield road or Tuddenham road onto the valley Road–as it is the Henley can have very long ques of traffic waiting to turn into the Valley Road–on one occasion when the bridge was closed it took me 1/1/2 hours to get from the hospital to Henley Road lights–my turn off–normal journey time 10 mins.
    the traffic was horrendous.most of the roads from the town had traffic waiting to join the Valley Road was tail to tail backing up–so in a way it was effecting the town centre–as regards to the dock crossing this is a further attempt by the IBC to turn the water front into a rich playboys play ground–even that’s not working–it would seem that no one wants to buy or rent the properties as it is–it will soon be a dive for students–you say fight for the dock crossing then the N B Pass I say the other way round–or do we have to wait another 20yrs–but by that time it will be too late to save Ipswich.

#2127 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

I sent an email to David Ellesmere on the 14th of Jan–did not expect a answer to my question strait away but did ask him to acknowledge my email–guess what–yer your right no answer–Labours  Parliamentary Candidate for the next Gen election? he will want mine–carry on like this no chance.

#2128 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_MassR
    Mass R
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 50
    • Contributions: 50

Interesting that no comment as far as I can see mentions air quality and the dramatic effect it has on people’s health, particularly diesel vehicles which were sold to us on the basis of being a better alternative to petrol.  I wouldn’t want to live on Henley/Valley/Colchester roads with all those substances being pumped into the air.

#2129 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

I have just received a very comprehensive reply from David Ellesmere–if any one would like a full copy of his email–please let me have your email address by private message and I will forward it on to you–Basically it is as follows–There are two proposals on the table–Northern relief road (NBP) and the wet dock crossing–The IBC has offered the funding for a feasibility study into both schemes.

Unfortunately the IBC is not in charge of this process, Mr Gummer and the SCC have decide to go ahead with the wet dock crossing without first comparing its benefits to Ipswich.
    Currently they are looking to receive funding and possible. starting work in 2020 should this go ahead we can forget the NBP for another decade.
    Why have the SCC got so much power over the lives of the people of Ipswich–Gummer and his tory crowd at the SCC needs to be kicked out–remember that you lot at the time of the next elections.  Just how many decades have Ipswich got left to lift itself up out of this mess we are in–remember the traffic lights–remember the town centre–will soon be a thing of the past–and too late.

#2130 Score: 0
    Mass R
    Participant

Why doesn’t someone petition Felixstowe Port to contribute towards the cost of a Northern bypass. It must be in their commercial interest to improve transport infrastructure, especially with the new container terminal Thamesport snapping at their heels. Once the Northern Fringe is developed, the villages to the north of Ipswich will be crying out for a NBP.

#2131 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Mass R As regards your remarks to the Northern Fringe Development and the reason why we will need a NBP– I and others have been saying the same thing forever–As regards the Felixstowe port perhaps they were so fed up that’s why they put in extra an extra rail terminal for moving out containers–you have also got to take into account that the local councils have not got the power–the SCC have though–

#2132 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_Rossi
    Rossi
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 1
    • Contributions: 1

The problem is not limited to a northern bypass. The A140 is a joke. As I’ve said before, we really are a backwater in terms of infrastructure

#2133 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_CarolC
    Carol C
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 6
    • Contributions: 6

I have just had a good example of the head in the sand mentality we have to deal with. Yesterday I had a Labour councillor knock on my door (can’t remember his name) who was collecting petition signatures against the proposed Fire Service cuts.  I am not a Labour supporter and was happy to sign, but the conversation turned to traffic problems in Ipswich.  I raised my concerns about the proposed northern fringe development and the obvious problems that would cause.  The reply beggars belief (or perhaps it doesn’t!), he said with such developments the infrastructure is the responsibility of the developer to deal with and will be sorted once it’s developed.  Oh that’s alright then, somebody else will sort it all out.  So just exactly what infrastructure would that be then?  Perhaps Ipswich’s own equivalent of the channel tunnel, as I don’t see what else can be an option?!!  I am quite pleased in one respect that SCC objections on lack of infrastructure have put this development on hold for the time being.

As an aside, he then proceeded to give me his opinions on the candidates I might have voted for and was basically talking over me on the few things I expressed a concern about, rather than taking on board my concerns.  I mentioned the discussions on Streetlife and was told ‘there are only about five people on the discussion’ as if to imply it is therefore not representative of people’s views.

The only thing he seemed to agree about was that getting rid of some traffic lights could improve things.

I didn’t couldn’t wait to shut the door on him as he was not interested in listening.  Totally typical of what we are up against I am afraid!

#2134 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Carol C  Who ever the guy was– he may have been right regarding his remark about only five people talking about the NBP–I was asked to start this conversation up again which I have done but it do seem that it is slowing down some what–As far as I can see you made one mistake regarding the gentleman who called on you–before closing your door on him perhaps a good kick up the backside would have been in order–

#2135 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_NadineH
    Nadine H
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 3
    • Contributions: 3

Just because there are only a few people commenting on a subject does not mean there are not more out there listening and agreeing with the views of others. I am very interested in the nbp debate but do not feel I have anything to add to the conversation. I think a bypass is totally necessary but, living in Barham, do not like the fact that it will inevitably enclose our village between the nbp and the a14 and the mass development that is likely to follow. Does not mean it shouldn’t happen though. I can always move.

#2136 Score: 0
    Mass R
    Participant

Watchful I agree – residents are fed up with trying to influence what goes on in Ipswich and in some parts of the NW where I live a paltry number turn out to vote. It’s not because they don’t care, it’s that they feel their opinions count for nothing and faceless men make decisions governing their lives. As well as the NBP, we have many issues that need tackling in NW Ipswich not least the failing schools.

#2137 Score: 0

Richard G
    • Total Replies: 0
    • Contributions: 0

Not being genuinely listened to by Poiticians is a massive issue for voters and as Mass R says one of the reasons many don’t vote. Voting is part of democracy but politicians have lost all the respect they used to have. I wish there was another way to run the country.

#2138 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

My feelings exactly–once these politicians get in they go their own way and forget the promises they made–and as Richard say’s–they are losing all respect and trust of the voters–which make our job of voting all that much more difficult.– plus they have their cronies, like Gummer and the SCC–and thats why we are having a job to get a NBP–

#2139 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Hello Matt at SCC have sent infor you requested could you let me know when you have received it–I would really like to know the–why for’s etc and the out come–

#2140 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_SuffolkCountyCouncil
    Suffolk County Council
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 10
    • Contributions: 10

Hello Watchful, thank you I have the information and have passed onto the Highways Planning Team.  I just thought it important that I get all the info to them – including the new responses.  

Afraid I cannot give you any outcomes of course – but I felt it important to make good on my promise to you and others here on SL –  to keep the team involved here at SCC fully updated on this thread.

thanks – Matt, Customer Services

#2141 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

If you remember about 1 day ago Carol C told us about a labour councillor– during the conversation they had he said that there was only about five people posting on this debate–Well all I can say is the SCC are interested in what we are saying– why not him– as you can see above Matt of the SCC is doing his bit–come on you streetlifers hit this conversation/debate some more–tell them what you think and want–we might get some where after all–

#2142 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_JamesA
    James A
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 7
    • Contributions: 7

Of course, there will not be a Northern By Pass as long as Gummer is the local MP, that much is surely obvious. As for some Labour Councillor who has dismissed this debate, well, all we are told is that the person is male, and cannot count. Perhaps Carol C can enlighten us further.

#2143 Score: 0
    Mass R
    Participant

As well as economic, my interest in the NBP concerns air quality in the borough especially as the WHO has identified air quality as number 1 threat to health. Analysis is done periodically on air quality and there are a number of declared sites (AQMA’s). Why there is a Children’s Centre in Chevalier Street which in the middle of one of the most polluted streets in the Borough amazes me. You can see the latest air quality report on IBC website by searching for air quality.

#2144 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Thank you James A and Mass R for responding and helping to prove the said councillor wrong–and no he can not count–Carol C I know you said that you did not get this chaps name–any chance of a clue you might have picked up at all– one of us may be able to deduce who it was–

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 562 total)

The topic ‘Northern Bypass for Ipswich’ is closed to new replies.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io