Northern Bypass

Northern Bypass for Ipswich

This topic contains 561 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Watchfull (Streetlife) Watchfull (Streetlife) 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 562 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant
    • New Topics: 0
    • Total Replies: 218
    • Contributions: 218

To finish off—-We live in hope and die in despair—sorry folks the lap top decided to do its own thing–

#2106 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_CharlesW
    Charles W
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 9
    • Contributions: 9

I think that there is a important fact regarding having a northern bypass.
    Norwich which has had the same situation appears to have the funding to connect from West to East next to their other bypass completed, but does not have the largest container port to connect to in the UK like Ipswich.
    If for any reason heavens forbid the Orwell bridge had some structural fault and had to be shut for a period of time days even weeks  then you may as well shut Felixstowe docks down completely, with most of our exports coming in to the port could that be  sustainable?.. as the whole as the whole of town would be gridlocked and could not possibly deal with that situation with no alternative route to the port
     We have already seen on just several hours closure has proven to be disastrous.

There is also a planning application for more houses  northern part of the town which has no sustainable road structure if you are using  Valley Road Colchester Road it certainly couldn’t cope.
    We need to recognise the largest container port in the UK has to have a good road structure.. Even Dover has two major motorways connecting the port if one is blocked .
    The Northern by pass  road has been talked about for years and brushed one side now is the time to get to grips with the traffic situation.

#2107 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Thank you Charles W for offering such a comprehensive number of reasons for a Northern Bypass–incorporating most if not all of the reasons put forward by myself and others on here–much better perhaps–Do you or any one else think it would be a good move to ask Matt of the SCC to start having a deco at this debate–and perhaps come back with some answers–although I believe his hands are tied some what by those above him–

#2108 Score: 0
    Charles W
    Participant

yes there were a few points mentioned before   as there was a lot to get through to read, but don’t think anybody had mentioned about the fact Norwich is getting the final link to their bypass… or what would happen over a very long period with the Orwell bridge closed.

also can anybody remember the traffic survey paid for by Suffolk county council back in the 90s  the company in which they took all the facts and figures  and they recommended a northern bypass but the powers to be scrapped the idea  at the cost of the survey £400,000 .

#2109 Score: 0
    Charles W
    Participant

yes I agree a good idea to get in contact with Suffolk county council..

#2110 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Note for Matt of the Suffolk County Council–As it would seem that you always answer for the SCC–this is an open invitation to read through the post’s of this debate and make replies. and if possible pass remarks or come up with some answer’s–Please note that I have also sent a private message to you on this same subject–

#2111 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_SuffolkCountyCouncil
    Suffolk County Council
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 10
    • Contributions: 10

Hello Watchfull and everyone else in this thread, thank you for your DM asking me to comment about the Ipswich Northern Bypass discussions.

As I have said previously, the whole customer services team are not allowed to comment or debate peoples opinions about subjects (believe me sometimes that is the hardest part of my job!) – what we try to do is signpost people to information which is already in the public domain which can help answer service related queries.

Where decisions are still being discussed politically it is important that we as officers step back and allow elected members to control and determine the outcomes of those discussions.

On that basis it is therefore very important that you reach out to your locally elected councillors and make them aware of your feelings on such matters. If you need any help contacting your councillor you can find more information here: https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-and-elected-representatives/find-your-c

However – What I will do is to ensure that this thread is passed through to the Highways Planning team here at SCC in my weekly social media report. This will at least make them aware of your conversations and they will be able to see what you have said/suggested about the Northern Bypass.

Hope this at least helps explain my teams position here.

Matt – Customer Services

#2112 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Hello all I think we must thank Matt–Customer Services of the SCC for replying and as one can see his hands are tied some what–it would seem that the SCC are aware of this debate–next question is do we get in touch with our councillors through the link provided by Matt or not?–I feel that we need more punters on here at he moment and I dont want to start some thing that we can not finish–what are your opinions on this?

#2113 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_Interested
    Interested
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 19
    • Contributions: 19

Without wishing to be a Cassandra, I fear that getting in touch with councillors will be like whistling in the wind and we’ll get nowhere. Given that this topic was being discussed 22 years ago, is there really any likelihood of us getting anywhere? The days of councillors representing the feelings of their neighbourhoods seem to be long gone, or maybe they have just given up too.

#2114 Score: 0

Richard G
    • Total Replies: 0
    • Contributions: 0

If the councillors are anything like Mr Finch then forget any proper discussion. I spoke to someone quite senior about the cycle lanes in the town centre that go against the flow of traffic and the fact i had been knocked off twice by a pedestrian and i might aswell not bothered. I explained all the dangers and that was a total waste of breath . Guarantee if she had cycled th routes with me she would have seen quite clearly. Still the same arrogance i have encountered virtually every time there has been a need to discuss something that i felt was an issue. Move out of Ipswich and the Councillors are vastly better and will empathise and listen and act . What is it about Ipswich ?

#2115 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_Interested
    Interested
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 19
    • Contributions: 19

Ipswich feels to me as though nobody cares about it anymore. Such a mess has been made of the roads, the buildings, the town centre that it feels as though nobody knows where to start to fix it. So people just talk round and round in circles, achieving nothing. It’s very sad.

#2116 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_ML
    M L
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 5
    • Contributions: 5

Yes Charles W, I remember a traffic survey carried out in the 1990’s in Ipswich, at Woodbridge Rd / Woodbridge Rd East. The road had a diversion in action on that day, so very little traffic on a very busy road. That’s the way to do traffic surveys when you want to prove that very little traffic uses a road!

#2117 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

The SCC has made a attempt to answer us on this post all be it not the kind of reply we were hoping for–I am going to attempt to contact the leader of the IBC by email–I would have tried through a PM on S/L but apparently this is not possible.

I will address the email to:- David Ellesmere leader of the IBC and Labour Parliamentary candidate for the next Gen Election. I will also ask him if he can make his comments/remarks known on S/L NBP for Ipswich–

I know that most of you do hold out much hope–and are at times full of woe on this subject but let us keep trying–20 years Plus I hear you say–Rome was not built in a day–It might have been if I had been the B—-y foreman

#2118 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

I have sent email to DE asking him to have a look see at our debate on S/L–and for his and the councils points of view on the NBP– I have also pointed out to him that the SCC was good enough to answer my PM to them and also reply to our debate on S/L–will he will do the same we hope.

#2119 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

Ray L as regards getting a link between streetlife areas according to S/L this can not be done as yet–I have a diabetes debate going on here as do a friend in Woodbridge we had the same trouble– the only way to do it at present is like I’ve told you–at the moment we are communicating with Woodbridge and Northampton by the same means–it will be nice to hear your opinions of the NB-pass on here–Cheers

#2120 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_JamesA
    James A
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 7
    • Contributions: 7

It was explained to me by my Member of Parliament sometime during the 1980s, that those MPs with seats to the north of Ipswich,we’re so against any Northern Bypass, that the only way Ipswich could ever have any Bypass at all, would be to agree to the Southern option. Many will recall that Gummer senior was one of those MPs then,and clearly,that is why the little one is also against it.Some of us have long memories.

#2121 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

James A–Like father like son–GET IN THE BOWL–NO YOU GET IN THE BOWL–that do not surprise me–the trouble is a lot of them could be  land owners–they want the benefits and their heaven–truly they are not interested in Ipswich–only what they can get out of it–that’s why the SCC have so much sway over what is good for Ipswich and what is not–COULD’NT FIND A BIGGER BOWL HEH–

#2122 Score: 0
    Profile photo of SL_JamesA
    James A
    Participant
    • Total Replies: 7
    • Contributions: 7

One thing that has puzzled me for a long time – who, or what committee decided that the A14 should not be a motorway?

#2123 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

James A that is a very interesting question–can any one enlighten us further on this one?–having said that would that have helped Ipswich with our present problem–which is only going from bad to worst as it is?

#2124 Score: 0
    Watchfull (Streetlife)
    Participant

SCC all credit due were quick to reply-but of course not what we were hoping for–
    David Ellesmere seem to be dragging his heels–at least he could have acknowledged my email–some one had better come up with a reply of some sort–or they will be one vote short at the next election–be it by-election or otherwise–

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 562 total)

The topic ‘Northern Bypass for Ipswich’ is closed to new replies.

Upper Orwell Crossings (Public Consultation Comments) | Ipswich Planning Applications | Sitemap | Orwell Bridge | Northern Bypass | Popular Ipswich Topics A-Z

Original Theme (modified) by nehalist.io