Visit Colchester (and Suffolk... But Not Ipswich)

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by dan5, Aug 5, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Oh dear, I picked up an Visit Colchester visitor guide 2017 from the Ipswich Tourist Information centre. It looks a really well done brochure. Compared to the dull grey sky and dark cover of the Ipswich counterpart, it has a nice bright blue sky, happy days!!!

Colchester and Ipswich Museums Service (CIMS) is a joint venture between Colchester Borough Council and Ipswich Borough Council. A partnership between two regional heritage rivals. Working together is apparently designed to be able to get grant monies easier.

On Page 2, the reverse of the front cover... it states it has been produced by Colchester Borough Council. On the reverse it has the Colchester Borough Council logo. (I have never got the workman logo, not sure what it is supposed to represent)

visitcolchester.png

Not here to promote a regional centre rival and capital of North Essex, Colchester... but I was amazed to see the following...

016.jpg
    Manningtree: Essex; Maldon: Essex; Lavenham: Suffolk; Long Melford: Suffolk; Cavendish: Suffolk; Clare: Suffolk; Bury St Edmunds: Suffolk; Suffolk coast: Suffolk;

North Essex Colchester is promoting 6 Suffolk destinations, compared to just 2 Essex destinations. No Braintree? Clacton? Chelmsford?

Thank you very much... hang on... no Ipswich? Just up the A12... and Bury St Edmunds?! Aldeburgh? Quite a distance, I understand those places close to the Essex border. The natural route to BSE or the Suffolk Coast is through Ipswich (via train, coach) or near Ipswich (A14,A12)... why not promote our museums as a drop off place?

( They were thinking of routes from their town centre... the A134 in particular which goes to Kings Lynn, shorter distance but the A14 will be a quicker route even if less scenic. Still need to go past Ipswich for the Suffolk Coast. )

There are beautiful places all over East Anglia and beyond, and I don't believe in county snobbery... but optionally promoting Suffolk destinations which are quite far (suggesting Colchester as a base) while not promoting Ipswich despite the partnership as CIMS is downright shocking. I have spoken before how Colchester Borough Council which runs the joint museums service for Ipswich, has favoured its own attractions on their website... and how they forced the council's hand into not going with the Oldest English Town promotion to avoid confusion over their oldest recorded town nonsense....

I repeat my previous words to the effect that Ipswich needs to break away from the toxic Colchester Borough Council museum partnership.

On to the map...

visitcolchestermap.png
    One thing I didn't like in this booklet was the map. If Red lines are the railway tracks, the orange colour with the red P&R circles surely means it is the bus route. Knowing the P&R is to the north of the town (the map does state this if you look up) my first impression was confusion... look at the key, it is a cycle network... I cannot help think they could have made this map much clearer. Perhaps an inset map of the town centre?#

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 64 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationLocal PoliticsOct 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM with 8 replies and 40 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Star changes its comments facility

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsJun 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 62 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 90 views.

5. dan5

IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUST (I-AM)

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsFeb 15, 2017 with 2 replies and 34 views.

6. dan5

Sandy Martin

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsMay 6, 2017 with 24 replies and 89 views.

7. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsSep 8, 2017 with 21 replies and 149 views.

8. dan5

Majors Corner traffic light failure

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockLocal PoliticsOct 10, 2017 with 6 replies and 52 views.

9. dan5

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 122 views.

10. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 150 views.