Traffic Problems

Discussion in 'North West Ipswich' started by watchfull, Dec 2, 2017.

1. watchfull

watchfullFounder Member

The lower part of Valley road, the Norwich road, the Bury road all the up to Asda and abit beyond -- everything nose to tail -- traffic being diverted via Churchlane and through the Whitton estate etc -- anyone know the cause? -- Aprox, 1700 hrs to 1800 hrs perhaps a little beyond that.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

3. OP
    OP
    watchfull

watchfullFounder Member

Just a thought when they close off part of the Norwich road in the new year to lay new gas main -- all we want then is for the Orwell bridge to shut down -- what diversion have the clever DICKS got worked out for that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • dan5

There were 12 closures on the Orwell Bridge last January (2016) - either one carriageway or both. 7 in January 2015, 20 in January 2014 and 11 in January 2013. This is 50 carriageway or entire bridge closures in the January month for 4 years. Not sure what this January figures were.

It is winter and thus is probable for such closures to happen... it is rarely high winds...any RTC etc. will shut it.

I would believe J55 (Copdock Interchange) (most likely for an official route) or J54 (Sproughton) will be used for it BUT lorries and cars alike will rat run everywhere possible... J52 (Claydon) down to J55... Ipswich road network? Sproughton Road, Bramford Road,Goddard Road or Goddard Road East/White House Road/Lovestofts Drive,Bury Road/Old Norwich Road/Whitton Church Lane/(Any Whitton or Castle Hill Road through!)... I would hope residents would resort to obstructing the public highway to prevent rat running down their residential streets if/when an Orwell Bridge closure happens along with these gas road works in Norwich Road.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

Yesterday afternoon massive queues heading out of town on Norwich road and similar coming back home lunch time today. I think it's just Christmas shopping traffic...

• dan5

Yeah, December... be full of people doing Christmas shopping... I did forget about the Bramford Road closure which will impact Norwich Road further! So this is probably a partial reason too...

• dan5

#StormCaroline is trending on twitter. For Thursday... (also happens to be late night shopping day).

Probable Orwell Bridge closure...
      subject-to-change-forecast-storm-caroline.png
      The forecast at current, no weather warnings... but high winds on Thursday morning rush hour projected. These are much more severe at the height of the bridge. This may be better or worse than anticipated. If memory serves me correct, it is usually 48+ (@ ~10m (?) height) to risk a bridge closure.

So in addition to Christmas day shopping (late night shouldn't be affected) you have the Bramford Road closure and The Havens roadworks... Fingers crossed all is okay! Plus other road works lol It won't be pretty, I think we will escape it.

• Ipswich

IpswichAdministratorStaff Member

Admin Note: Corrected title typo.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

its the random pop up temp traffic lights that get me, this morning as well as the regular ones for gas works in Christchurch St there are TTLs in Tuddenham Road,
      roadworks.org - Live and planned traffic disruptions
      more gas works!

look at that map! dozens of them, all over the town... This never used to happen, why is it now so bad?

• dan5

As I understand it, the gas mains and pipes get corroded over time and need to be replaced by plastic pipes... it is a ticking time-bomb... they have left it far too long to start replacing them so they all need to be done pretty much ASAP.

It is one of those shoddy things where much of the pipes being replaced are probably fine and rather recent but the cast iron pipes are deemed unsafe... gas can escape and accumulate leading to explosion fears or rupture where it is even more dangerous.

I found this... http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gasmain.pdf (at the time of this document 91,000km of at risk pipes lol approx half of the total) 2001 I think, which seems to suggest there was a 25yr, 30yr or 35yr replacement programme. Either they have finally got their backsides into gear or whether it is "our turn" and they do pretty much it all at the same time.

It is quite some undertaking... the biggest problem is the mains are kept at distance from property typically 30m I think it is, so this means most are always in the road rather than the pavement.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreNorth West IpswichDec 10, 2017 with 3 replies and 61 views.

2. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichNorth West IpswichApr 28, 2017 with 7 replies and 433 views.

3. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreNorth West IpswichDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 29 views.

4. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkNorth West IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 85 views.

5. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichNorth West IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 76 views.

6. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichNorth West IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 214 views.

7. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichNorth West IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 305 views.

8. dan5

Bramford Road closed until at least January 2018

by dan5 in Norwich RoadNorth West IpswichDec 6, 2017 with 1 replies and 83 views.

9. dan5

Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

by dan5 in South East IpswichNorth West IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 90 views.

10. dan5

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by dan5 in Central IpswichNorth West IpswichApr 25, 2017 with 6 replies and 124 views.