The Ipswich Proposal

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by wrightie, Jun 29, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

I have linked to to this site a few times but I am now going to create a new post every 2 days on the site. Its only a .wordpress blog, styled like a database/wiki site where posts can be found using categories. I aim to document every large proposal for Ipswich, including the ones that didnt get built, were downsized as well as new proposals.

So far I have documented a few proposals but I aim to document every 'large' proposal in Ipswich from 2000 to start with. After that I'l focus on older ones from the 1960's. Thought it would be an interesting small project to do, however, I dint realise how many developments have been proposed since just the year 2000. *large proposal being a development that would have had a noticeable on the town.

https://theipswichproposal.wordpress.com/

Must admit though, it is interesting to see how ambitious proposals almost always get downgraded or dropped all together.

• Informative Informative x 1

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
      We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
      • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

• dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Jordan I very much appreciate your efforts here. I also did not know about the full extent of these ambitious proposals. Some are very well publicised in Evening Star/Ipswich Star and others rarely heard of. One of particular interest from The Ipswich Proposal is St Georges House. This was to be a hotel/residential block on St Matthews Street but was refused by the council for being too ambitious (my words). So instead, we are left with the run down shopping precinct full of charity shops, when not empty,  and even when Morrisons opened a metro store there it didn't survive. So all along when the council was allowing the gem of Great White Horse Hotel to be converted to housing (via business centre) stating a town centre hotel wasn't commercially viable, not only were Easy Hotel planning one next door but many years previously a hotel was to be built at the west-end part of the town! If I had known this at the time I would have included this argument with the planning application representation... 

I don't blame the developers for pulling the project. If you are investing and got tenants lined up, to then compromise, ultimately on your profit margin which may scare off your client (as no one signs on the dotted line before its built). A salesperson who manages to design your perfect kitchen and then switches to a cheaper and less desirable design last minute just before you type your PIN in on the card machine... is one way of describing it. Of course, its no deal. What we got after years of neglect was this ugly new paint job which is supposed to be public art.

What I love about your site (which is up there with the lettering site and postcard site) is it paints a decent picture of the mismanagement of the town. Upon this realisation it is depressing. It is saved to my favourites/bookmarks.

What the hell were the council thinking of? The hotel (this plan predates Easy Hotel's entrance) is a few minutes walk from Ipswich Museum! 10 minutes from Christchurch Mansion, 2 minutes from major anchor tenants M&S, Primark (since expanded) and Debenhams, 5 minute stroll from the Town Hall and thus the Cornhill, centre of the retail heart... and not to forget this development would have encouraged further proposed residential development in that part of town. I could argue this would have improved the far end of Westgate Street and would have got a tenant for the now still empty QD store (originally a Tesco, perhaps they would have reopened as a Tesco with a hotel opposite? Instead of the one on the roundabout) This would also support plans for the multi-storey car park. Not to mention a safe place to stay after a night out in the town especially those travelling to here.

Of course, they were only interested in the Waterfront; if there were no water there (no pun intended) perhaps such a development would have been built there instead, but being a risky flood zone with a major river, not to mention the pollution from the port... not very desirable. I don't think the penny will ever drop... They still don't understand why visitors to Christchurch Mansion have dropped...

• OP
      OP
      wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

Thanks, the next few post will be recent proposals to give me time to document larger ones. Since 2000, I have found 35+ large proposals (including changed designs). I want to write an article/case study or something about the Grafton Way Tesco proposal, that scheme has always fascinated me, even if it was the 'wrong' project, ambition in large developments in the whole town seems to have died off since that proposal fell through. There is tons of information about that proposal but I came across a video which only has 70 views so not many people could have seen it. Its a fly through of the original proposal. Thought you'd find it interesting? So much information about proposals never seems to be publicised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5adb2at4Sms

• dan5

We really have a shitty council right? I didn't like the Tesco entrance concourse but the rest was pretty special. The raised balcony pathway, to the shape of the buildings viewable from the Princes Street bridge... it all reminds me of a university campus. Nice usage of glass. It is like a small contained community, a micro-city. Ipswich Borough Council came in as local authority and scared them off. Again. We are expected to be pleased with a little reconfiguration of the railway station forecourt and the concourse work...

I don't particularly like Tesco. Apart from investor money and profits to create a store, the rest is on credit. They take your money today through the till (few days for card transactions), staff won't be paid until the end of the month, the suppliers probably not for 3 months, they rent out shelf space, utility bills won't come into until later... (okay on the 29th Day it doesn't have quite the same effect, but I think you can see what I am getting at).

35? Blimey, it works... the reason why so many people got behind the Upper Orwell Crossings vanity bridge design is it is the only major project (bridge including island site redevelopment) Ipswich has ever had since greyfriars disaster. If only they knew of all these ambitious projects that the council want to kill off. Very few of our town elite are Ipswich born or raised, so why are they such a protectorate to what they perceive as the wrong direction for the town? I really have no idea.

This video is brilliant thank you. I have never seen it. I have seen the U.O.C far too much than I would ever want to! What gets me about the Tesco Grafton Way development was surely upon this completion similar architecture would be encouraged at the waterfront? I know the flood risk is a major reason why it won't be comfortable but a lot of home builders rely on government loans to reduce risk and I have seen so many housing developments which looks bad for a quick turnaround. I know of countless more cases (okay, a few..) where new homeowners move into unfinished developments calling on repairs to be done. It would also have been a gem to kick start the Princes Street Office Corridor project which is struggling, only 1 of 3 office blocks will be occupied once the Birketts one is done. One won't get built. One probably remain empty or mostly vacant.

• Ipswi

IpswiGuest

Are you content with wordpress blog or prefer a .com/.co.uk with hosted wordpress blog?

I am looking into linking Ipswich themed websites together in a network... like a web ring I suppose. Starting with IPSWI to be able to promote the various themes. I found another website today, Ipswich History. It would work like a banner, so people commenting on IPSWI will be able to discover websites they might be interested in. It could be expanded with various local organisation websites too. Just an idea at the moment.

I loved it when wordpress.com linked through tags as it brought traffic but when they stopped doing that it wasn't so beneficial in terms of search engine placement.

• OP
      OP
      wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

It would definitely look better with .com/co.uk though I am not too bothered at the moment as it is just a small project to begin with. Though, I could always get a personal plan through wordpress later I suppose.

• Ipswi

IpswiGuest

You are right, it is probably overkill at the moment! Still, good content so far...

• OP
      OP
      wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

I know its an old thread, but I have finally updated the site to make it easier to navigate as well as making it functional. The Ipswich Proposal Still a .wordpress site unless traffic increases.

The list of projects I still need to document, that will have an impact on the townscape, has grown to over 50. This includes proposals around the town such as Sproughton, and Adastral park.

• Like Like x 1
      • dan5

If I am honest, I think the existing website was adequate without any complaints, however, I prefer the new design which makes the images look far nicer. The text is also better, maybe just a darker font colour or perhaps even another font. So great job on that. It most certainly is an improvement.

Over 50?! This is dedication. I have setup a forum for the Sproughton Enterprise Park which I will be using as a blog about all aspects of the masterplan etc. when I get around to it (you know how it is!)

I also registered sproughton.com last year for some information website surrounding it. Will be a wordpress blog. I can link through any content you have on it. I will be making a planning representation for the former sugar beet factory site but it is pretty much all agreed from one district council to another.

• OP
        OP
        wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

The old site was too blog like... I know its wordpress, but I wanted it to be easier to navigate and find proposals. I agree with the text, its limited due to it being a free wordpress domain, and limited to a theme. I'v changed it, size and colour cant change, wordpress has its downsides, but its cheap... free I suppose. I will still tweak it though.

I have found so many large developments town centre/ waterfront developments that never made it. As for sproughton, I found an old Ipswich star article about housing on the site. It was refused, but didnt realise housing was ever planned there. Massive development could still be built

This is the company producing the masterplan, might be an idea to keep an eye out on their site.
        DLA Master Plan for Enterprise Zone in Suffolk -David Lock Associates

On a side note, Ipswich's planning website search app... is somewhat bearable, aside from infrequent crashing and countless missing documents. Babergh's equivalent site on the other hand, is by far the worst website I have ever come across. I mean, who thought that layout was adequate, do they not want people to look on the site?

• Useful Useful x 1
        • dan5

Yeah I know what you mean. Wordpress used to be solely for blogs but these days many use it just as a CMS, shopping cart and the like.

It is unbelievable the amount of developments planned that never made it. A really sad state of affairs and I cannot see anything changing anytime soon. I was shocked about the council still wanting large office space expansion in the short-medium term but not willing to do the third office block due to obvious lack of demand.

Yeah, the housing would have been a nightmare, considering all the cars creating extra traffic!

You have the patience of a saint. I agree with what you say about Babergh's site but IBC's website is so frustrating. It creates a website session for each user (despite being the same content to each user), all the document pages send a hit back to the file server to check if each listed file exists and there cannot be many concurrent users allowed. The default filenames aren't helpful either. I could create a far better solution with nginx. They must have a serious amount of storage for the site but still achievable.

• OP
          OP
          wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

... I got them mixed... :tearsofjoy: Its cause I'm on both quite alot. IBC's has got to the point where i save downloads, its easier, saves going back. For the larger developments, such as St Peter's Port, all information came from related architect, developer, investor sites. Also oddly, Yahoo image search is good at finding these sites, guess it doesnt filter or something. Some developments also seem missing? Street names are not labelled correctly either, most only seem to be tagged by one street, even if it is a tiny side street, not the main road. I could go on. The search and filtering is better than Babergh, I havent been on Mid Suffolk yet.

Suppose The Ipswich Proposal has another use then, saving people form this torture.

• dan5

Indeed... here is a snippet from IBC website:-

Code:
          populate_anite_button('doc_pad_Download_document_Application_Form_-_NONE_for_17/01013/FUL238', '17/01013/FUL', '100091635905', '30/10/2017', 'NONE', '', 'APAPFM', 'True', 'page', 'Download document Application Form - NONE for 17/01013/FUL');                
          Every document launches function
          Code:
          populate_anite_button
          Which send a request to checkdoc.aspx which checks for the documents for each page load from every user. They should cache the output the first time so it loads quicker every other time.

Code:
          function populate_anite_button(spanid, appid, folder3Ref, dateReceived, docRef, docRef2, sDocType, modifyType, imgurl, imgalt) {    var button_span = $(spanid)    var currentDate = new Date()    var minutes = currentDate.getMinutes()    new Ajax.Request('/checkdoc.aspx',         { parameters: { appid: appid,             isanite: true,             folder3Ref: folder3Ref,             dateReceived: dateReceived,             docRef: docRef,             docRef2: docRef2,             sDocType: sDocType,             modifyType: modifyType,             alt: imgalt, url: imgurl, thetime: minutes         },             asynchronous: false,             method: 'get',             timeout: 3000,             onSuccess: function(transport) {                 //alert("success");                 var theReply = transport.responseText;                 var theSize = "";                 var theButton = "";                 var pipePos = theReply.indexOf("|");                               spanid = spanid.substr(0, spanid.length-3);//alert (spanid);                 var sizeHolder = $(spanid + "_size");                 //var sizeHolder = $(spanid);//alert (sizeHolder);                 try {                     if (pipePos > 0 && sizeHolder != null) {                         theButton = theReply.substring(0, pipePos);                         theSize = theReply.substring(pipePos + 1);                         sizeHolder.innerHTML = theSize;                     }                     else {                         if (pipePos > 0)                             theButton = theReply.replace("|", " (") + ")" ;                         else                             theButton = theReply ;                     }                 }                 catch (err) {                     theButton = theReply;                 }                 button_span.innerHTML = theButton;             },             onTimeout: function(transport) {                 //alert('onTimeout');                 button_span.innerHTML = "                                                 "title='" + imgalt + " - Not Available' " +                                                 "src='images/" + imgurl + "_off.gif' " +                                                 "class='flowButton'>";                 //button_span.innerHTML = transport.responseText;             },             onFailure: function(transport) {             //alert(button_span.innerHTML);                 button_span.innerHTML = "                                                 "title='" + imgalt + " - Not Available' " +                                                 "src='images/" + imgurl + "_off.gif' " +                                                 "class='flowButton'>";                 //button_span.innerHTML = transport.responseText;             }         });}
          Unfortunately, it isn't so easy to save documents in my experience. Sometimes they don't get returned as pdf but aspx and they have a silly naming scheme "--capsvr2-planedms-[CLSSIDHERE].pdf". I have a directory with thousands of them in taking too long to rename manually. The easy way round it would be to use HTML5 (or from server side)
          Code:
          download="17_01013_FUL_Application_Form.pdf"
          On balance sometimes it works okay barely... but factors such as people using it, server under load or problems for application with more documents (even though same number per page) is beyond my control. I have tried at silly O-clock before making no noticeable difference to speed or reliability.

• Like Like x 1

More like this

Title
          RepliesViews
          Last Message
          1. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsApr 28, 2017 with 5 replies and 411 views.

2. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreLocal PoliticsDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 25 views.

3. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkLocal PoliticsNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 84 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Vision: In A Nutshell

by dan5 in Ipswich Democracy GroupLocal PoliticsJul 12, 2017 with 2 replies and 79 views.

5. dan5

Leaked: Actual Ipswich Cornhill End Designs Revealed

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM with 13 replies and 142 views.

6. dan5

Upper Orwell Crossings: December Update

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM with 2 replies and 27 views.

7. dan5

Cornhill Regeneration scheme rockets to £3.6m after cost saving changes

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 11:12 PM with 8 replies and 98 views.

8. dan5

Suffolk Highways: 1 in 10 posts vacant

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM with 2 replies and 22 views.

9. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 74 views.

10. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 209 views.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. dan5