The Ipswich Proposal

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by wrightie, Jun 29, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. wrightie

wrightieNew Member

I have linked to to this site a few times but I am now going to create a new post every 2 days on the site. Its only a .wordpress blog, styled like a database/wiki site where posts can be found using categories. I aim to document every large proposal for Ipswich, including the ones that didnt get built, were downsized as well as new proposals.

So far I have documented a few proposals but I aim to document every 'large' proposal in Ipswich from 2000 to start with. After that I'l focus on older ones from the 1960's. Thought it would be an interesting small project to do, however, I dint realise how many developments have been proposed since just the year 2000. *large proposal being a development that would have had a noticeable on the town.

https://theipswichproposal.wordpress.com/

Must admit though, it is interesting to see how ambitious proposals almost always get downgraded or dropped all together.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!

• dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Jordan I very much appreciate your efforts here. I also did not know about the full extent of these ambitious proposals. Some are very well publicised in Evening Star/Ipswich Star and others rarely heard of. One of particular interest from The Ipswich Proposal is St Georges House. This was to be a hotel/residential block on St Matthews Street but was refused by the council for being too ambitious (my words). So instead, we are left with the run down shopping precinct full of charity shops, when not empty,  and even when Morrisons opened a metro store there it didn't survive. So all along when the council was allowing the gem of Great White Horse Hotel to be converted to housing (via business centre) stating a town centre hotel wasn't commercially viable, not only were Easy Hotel planning one next door but many years previously a hotel was to be built at the west-end part of the town! If I had known this at the time I would have included this argument with the planning application representation... 

I don't blame the developers for pulling the project. If you are investing and got tenants lined up, to then compromise, ultimately on your profit margin which may scare off your client (as no one signs on the dotted line before its built). A salesperson who manages to design your perfect kitchen and then switches to a cheaper and less desirable design last minute just before you type your PIN in on the card machine... is one way of describing it. Of course, its no deal. What we got after years of neglect was this ugly new paint job which is supposed to be public art.

What I love about your site (which is up there with the lettering site and postcard site) is it paints a decent picture of the mismanagement of the town. Upon this realisation it is depressing. It is saved to my favourites/bookmarks.

What the hell were the council thinking of? The hotel (this plan predates Easy Hotel's entrance) is a few minutes walk from Ipswich Museum! 10 minutes from Christchurch Mansion, 2 minutes from major anchor tenants M&S, Primark (since expanded) and Debenhams, 5 minute stroll from the Town Hall and thus the Cornhill, centre of the retail heart... and not to forget this development would have encouraged further proposed residential development in that part of town. I could argue this would have improved the far end of Westgate Street and would have got a tenant for the now still empty QD store (originally a Tesco, perhaps they would have reopened as a Tesco with a hotel opposite? Instead of the one on the roundabout) This would also support plans for the multi-storey car park. Not to mention a safe place to stay after a night out in the town especially those travelling to here.

Of course, they were only interested in the Waterfront; if there were no water there (no pun intended) perhaps such a development would have been built there instead, but being a risky flood zone with a major river, not to mention the pollution from the port... not very desirable. I don't think the penny will ever drop... They still don't understand why visitors to Christchurch Mansion have dropped...

• OP
      OP
      wrightie

wrightieNew Member

Thanks, the next few post will be recent proposals to give me time to document larger ones. Since 2000, I have found 35+ large proposals (including changed designs). I want to write an article/case study or something about the Grafton Way Tesco proposal, that scheme has always fascinated me, even if it was the 'wrong' project, ambition in large developments in the whole town seems to have died off since that proposal fell through. There is tons of information about that proposal but I came across a video which only has 70 views so not many people could have seen it. Its a fly through of the original proposal. Thought you'd find it interesting? So much information about proposals never seems to be publicised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5adb2at4Sms

• dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

We really have a shitty council right? I didn't like the Tesco entrance concourse but the rest was pretty special. The raised balcony pathway, to the shape of the buildings viewable from the Princes Street bridge... it all reminds me of a university campus. Nice usage of glass. It is like a small contained community, a micro-city. Ipswich Borough Council came in as local authority and scared them off. Again. We are expected to be pleased with a little reconfiguration of the railway station forecourt and the concourse work...

I don't particularly like Tesco. Apart from investor money and profits to create a store, the rest is on credit. They take your money today through the till (few days for card transactions), staff won't be paid until the end of the month, the suppliers probably not for 3 months, they rent out shelf space, utility bills won't come into until later... (okay on the 29th Day it doesn't have quite the same effect, but I think you can see what I am getting at).

35? Blimey, it works... the reason why so many people got behind the Upper Orwell Crossings vanity bridge design is it is the only major project (bridge including island site redevelopment) Ipswich has ever had since greyfriars disaster. If only they knew of all these ambitious projects that the council want to kill off. Very few of our town elite are Ipswich born or raised, so why are they such a protectorate to what they perceive as the wrong direction for the town? I really have no idea.

This video is brilliant thank you. I have never seen it. I have seen the U.O.C far too much than I would ever want to! What gets me about the Tesco Grafton Way development was surely upon this completion similar architecture would be encouraged at the waterfront? I know the flood risk is a major reason why it won't be comfortable but a lot of home builders rely on government loans to reduce risk and I have seen so many housing developments which looks bad for a quick turnaround. I know of countless more cases (okay, a few..) where new homeowners move into unfinished developments calling on repairs to be done. It would also have been a gem to kick start the Princes Street Office Corridor project which is struggling, only 1 of 3 office blocks will be occupied once the Birketts one is done. One won't get built. One probably remain empty or mostly vacant.

• Ipswi

IpswiGuest

Are you content with wordpress blog or prefer a .com/.co.uk with hosted wordpress blog?

I am looking into linking Ipswich themed websites together in a network... like a web ring I suppose. Starting with IPSWI to be able to promote the various themes. I found another website today, Ipswich History. It would work like a banner, so people commenting on IPSWI will be able to discover websites they might be interested in. It could be expanded with various local organisation websites too. Just an idea at the moment.

I loved it when wordpress.com linked through tags as it brought traffic but when they stopped doing that it wasn't so beneficial in terms of search engine placement.

• OP
      OP
      wrightie

wrightieNew Member

It would definitely look better with .com/co.uk though I am not too bothered at the moment as it is just a small project to begin with. Though, I could always get a personal plan through wordpress later I suppose.

• Ipswi

IpswiGuest

You are right, it is probably overkill at the moment! Still, good content so far...

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 64 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationLocal PoliticsOct 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM with 8 replies and 40 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Star changes its comments facility

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsJun 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 63 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 90 views.

5. dan5

IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUST (I-AM)

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsFeb 15, 2017 with 2 replies and 34 views.

6. dan5

Sandy Martin

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsMay 6, 2017 with 24 replies and 89 views.

7. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsSep 8, 2017 with 21 replies and 149 views.

8. dan5

Majors Corner traffic light failure

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockLocal PoliticsOct 10, 2017 with 6 replies and 52 views.

9. dan5

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 123 views.

10. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 150 views.