Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

Discussion in 'Ransomes Europark' started by dan5, Nov 9, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Additional mayhem in South East Ipswich near Ransomes Europark (The Havens) caused by Suffolk Highways as they paint some lines onto the road, relocate an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing point and relocate a pavement to add a third lane which isn't really a filter lane!

havens-roundabout-works.png
    I don't understand how it can take so long. A week maximum?

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. martinc

martincFounder Member

I like the way they seem to have cut off the edges of the plan, so what happens beyond? In fact you get no context with this plan at all, you need to see the full details of the roads its connecting too, and the other things, are there not traffic lights as well just off the edge of this plan?

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

I am thinking of writing to them (just for the sake of it!) with a better solution!

Cue the photos....
    the-havens-roundabout.png
    Quite wide road for a 30mph street - narrows further down. Filling this space with hatchings is a bit silly. Lorries you say? Well if we consider ABP Ipswich Port entrance and most of the roundabouts in and around the town, this is completely unnecessary and could be reclaimed. (Why they cannot make roads straight I do not know!)

the-havens-roundabout2.png Seriously? This is the slip road to the A14... all forms of vehicles (cars, motorbikes, vans, lorries etc) are accelerating off the roundabout into oblivion here... yet there is a pedestrian and cycle crossing? Nice verge to the left!

the-havens-roundabout3.png More rather dangerous and unnecessary pedestrian and cycle crossings around this entire roundabout. Humans really have no business to be wandering around here.

the-havens-roundabout4.png More pedestrian and cycle crossing... a LWB van, bus or lorry obstructs the crossing. A really stupid place to add a crossing... and the same applies for the filter lane to the left where vehicles will accelerate blindly around (being a filter lane!) not knowing if anyone is crossing.

the-havens-roundabout5.png Aerial view.

What would I do? Get rid of the pavement to the right (well all of them, has really no one died here on foot or a cycle?) and install a filter lane similar to on the left that bypasses the roundabout to get on to the A14. The verge is almost adequate (you could trim some of the opposite verge to the south, currently another path) but I would utilise a metre or so of the mini-forest near Holiday Inn to achieve this to a better standard.

Actually, I would focus more on another route to Ransomes Europark from the A14. Having three entrances and exits all connected to the same A1189 road is silly. I don't think these tiny tweaks mentioned above are entirely relevant: the Town Centre lane is limited by sharing the same road as the A14(W) and then you have the situation of three lanes of traffic trying to approach a roundabout which looks recipe for disaster.

Using an SCC buzzword, people will now consider a rat run through the industrial estate to here thinking it will increase their chances of getting out. In my view, drivers should choose the nearest exit from their origin, just like you would choose the nearest entrance to the destination. Poor planning.

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

so there you go, their plan is hopeless, I actually thought it was the other roundabout!

5. OP
    OP
    dan5

I crossed the various sections of road here (not The Havens and not the A14 eastbound slip road!)

The Havens roundabout pedestrian circumnavigation

Absolutely ridiculous place for a pedestrian crossing... they have even got signs telling parents to hold their childrens hand!

6. OP
    OP
    dan5

Some photos I took whilst I was down there yesterday freezing my fingers off...

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks.png

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-2.png

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-3.png
    Not sure I understand the cones blocking off the left part of The Havens...

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-4.png
    More cones.... even on grass verges... appears as if they have to utilise all their traffic cone resources... which might explain why all the unnecessary cones!

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-5.png
    More cones...

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-6.png
    This was a part of a photo I took for the Welcome to Ipswich sign. I didn't think of taking a photo of the traffic build up... the traffic was queuing to about 100 metres before the traffic lights at the Trasher roundabout. Here you can see up to the white van (just under the cable tie). The other side of the road is more representative of the traffic... quite light at this point. There is absolutely no need for all this for the work on the pavement and additional lane.

the-havens-nacton-road-roundabout-roadworks-7.png
    Little progress for the last day of week 3. I am confident this will overrun.

7. OP
    OP
    dan5

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkRansomes EuroparkNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 121 views.

2. dan5

Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

by dan5 in South East IpswichRansomes EuroparkSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 105 views.

3. dan5

Landseer Road / Nacton Road Traffic Lights consultation

by dan5 in Nacton RoadRansomes EuroparkNov 7, 2017 with 5 replies and 147 views.