Ipswich Star Sink Your Teeth Into 15 Of Ipswich’s New Restaurants

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Aug 21, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

If you live in Ipswich then you have probably noticed the growth in restaurants and eateries in the past two years. We have compiled a list of them for you to try.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

• Takayama, Fore Street
    • The Grazing Sheep, Ipswich Waterfront
    • Casablanca, Tacket Street
    • 92 Noodle Bar, Fore Street
    • Prezzo, Buttermarket Shopping Centre
    • Lux Sushi, St Matthew’s Street
    • Love Thy Burger, Westgate Street
    • Ottoman, Woodbridge Road
    • Wagamamas, Buttermarket Shopping Centre
    • O Patio Patisserie and Coffee Shop, St Matthew’s Street
    • Byron, Buttermarket Shopping Centre
    • The Mariners, Ipswich Waterfront
    • Cosy Club, Buttermarket Shopping Centre
    • Locanda Di Parma, St Peter’s Street
    • Coast to Coast, Buttermarket Shopping Centre
    Interesting list - I wasn't aware of Lux Sushi and 92 Noodle Bar.

(Not sure all the above can be classified as "restaurants")

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

Prezzo, been, way too noisy inside, very hard to hold a conversation, usual OK Prezzo food, would go to Woodbridge if we wanted another Prezzo.

Wagamama, been, food a bit different, and was enjoyed, wasn't' so keen on sitting on a wooden bench on a big table, nor with their idea of bringing any food when its ready rather than serving a party all together. Again very noisy from what I recall, that puts me off a return. Also can't book for small parties.

Locanda, I think its having a difficult time, its been open, shut, open and now looks shut again.

Is not the new italian in the old Saints unit in St Peter St also new?

What about the new branch of the local pizza Bella Napoli in Princes St?

I'm sure being a Star list it's not going to be terrible accurate!!

5. dan5

I have to admit I am annoyed at the sushi explosion in Ipswich. None of the asian fusion places wanted to do it but along comes "sushi to go" very run of the mill non-authentic sushi place (cream cheese! **) everyone follows... Waitrose scrapped their sushi section near sandwiches to have a proper sushi counter (through a third party), Japanese restaurant up the road from sushi to go... give it 5 years, we will have 8 places doing sushi :D

Prezzo

I think Prezzo is just one of those generic Italian chain brands... there is differences but for all intents and purposes, food wise they are pretty much the same give-or-take.

Wagamama

Wagamama... probably the most overrated "Asian food" place. They don't claim to be Asian, just inspired. Whatever that means. I have been to Wagamama in London and I don't think I will ever go back to a Wagamama again... the food isn't bad but nothing great. I went with my other half... down steps (Leicester Square)... wasn't allowed in as was busy.

When a few people left, we went in... waited at the counter to be seated. By this time a third of the restaurant bench space was free. They don't grab a menu and show you to bench... oh no, someone else hadn't came along and stuck a menu down so that bench was still occupied despite witnessing those people going 15 minutes ago. So we were waiting for an extra 5 minutes just chatting away... we notice someone came along place a menu... and then the waitress looked over, then said to us a table has become available. Really?!

Bad customer service/organisation, probably not likely to happen here or elsewhere. We both ordered at the same time, I picked a safe basic dish and she chose something which takes about double the time to cook etc. Guess who got their food first? The wait for her food was ages (but generally don't mind if the food is fresh and nor microwaved)... but this same waitress came over and asked if I hadn't got my food yet (despite already chasing it up) - like I had ate it already along with the plate! - my other half had eaten her food 15 minutes before mine arrived (and she desperately ate slow hoping we had at least a window of opportunity of eating a meal together). The food was okay... worth an hour wait? NO!

I am not sure if people understand why Chefs are hot headed... probably the most famous is Gordon Ramsay... the two main aspects of running a restaurant is Food + Service! Food is probably the most obvious one, but the food needs to go out for the whole party, it is a lot of organisation. Service isn't solely customer service of checking why your food isn't out, if the food is okay and apologising when they mess up.

Party of 2... (not 8!) not rocket science... I haven't tried Wagamama Ipswich to see if it is any different because before you can get into the restaurant you are greeted by a takeaway menu and have passed a few "deliveroos" on cycles... when takeaways are more important than your sit down restaurant food... that is a poor sign. It also seems to be popular with the young don't-know-any-different crowd just like Nandos... seems "cool" that is where they go...

Locanda

Yeah, the last time I was in the pub opposite it was a pizza place. Not sure if I have my wires crossed. They obviously do pizza but the branding was different? I am not too sure.

Locanda.png

The above sort of thing really annoys me. Not because it is an A-board on the pavement...
    It presents the information clearly...great. Wait a moment, this shop-turned-restaurant is supposed to be a quality authentic Italian restaurant (La Locanda: "The Inn") and also features all the typical gourmet presentation of food it serves, but this A-board looks like one from a run-of-the-mill fish and chip shop. Branding problem!

** I am sure it tastes good but is a sign of covering up IMO. Salmon and cream cheese... lamb and mint... etc. I think when food has been prepared in such a way when you don't have the option to do it yourself, shows the food isn't so fresh!

6. dan5

7. martinc

martincFounder Member

Did they take one off the list?

Locanda issues down to problems with chef I heard, that's what you find out when you spend time in the Thomas Wolsey opposite on a regular basis!

8. dan5

Yes, if you go on the main site the URL will still be the same ("sink-your-teeth-into-15-of-ipswich-s-new-restaurants-1-5156700")... I did read on a review somewhere that a member of staff needed paying. He wasn't too happy about it, as you could expect.

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich hits back at claims parking is costly for Christmas shopping

by dan5 in Ipswich Borough CouncilIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM with 1 replies and 5 views.

2. dan5

Green light expected for new business park at Ipswich sugar beet site at Sproughton

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM with 1 replies and 6 views.

3. dan5

Do you remember when Virgin mogul Richard Branson came to town in 1998?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM with 1 replies and 6 views.

4. dan5

Drum and Monkey pub in Ipswich set to come down early next year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM with 1 replies and 5 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk brewers Adnams stirs up Ipswich fans by praising “Mighty Norwich City”

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM with 3 replies and 10 views.

6. dan5

Word on the Street: What did you think of the Ipswich Christmas lights switch-on?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

7. dan5

Ipswich Icons: The Ipswich Society

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM with 1 replies and 13 views.

8. dan5

Reports of up to 10 vehicles involved in crash on Orwell Bridge westbound

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road in Ipswich to CLOSE at Norwich Road junction this evening over concerns...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM with 1 replies and 20 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM with 1 replies and 11 views.