Sandy Martin

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by dan5, May 6, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

This will be the Sandy Martin discussion topic. Sandy Martin is the Labour Candidate for Ipswich, General Election 2017. It appears he doesn't currently have a website, a bit worrying a month away from a General Election although I am sure it will all soon be revealed when he launches his General Election campaign.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

Sandy Martin Ipswich Labour Candidate launches General Election campaign yesterday.

https://twitter.com/julian_gibbs/status/861253618103615488

https://twitter.com/KC4Gainsborough/status/861330059344392193

A slightly more low-key affair compared to Ben Gummer's General Election campaign launch. The location appeared to be a closely guarded secret.

https://twitter.com/IpswichLabour/status/860902506557296641

I cannot help think Labour aren't taking this too seriously at all. I have struggled to even find a website for Sandy Martin, today is 8/5/17 and the General Election is 8/6/17 - with people voting before that by postal vote. As of midday Monday, the local paper makes no mention online about the launch event. Unless they buck their ideas up, Ben Gummer could well increase his majority over the 2015 General Election or comfortably win with a small margin.

Elsewhere despite solely being a candidate, Sandy Martin interferes with French presidential election results...

https://twitter.com/sandyofipswich/status/861480384260919296

It is too early to be decisive, but Ben Gummer would win comfortably if the General Election was today. What is going on?

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

but in other news he is following me on Twitter now!

5. OP
    OP
    dan5

It might be a good idea to ask him about the Northern Bypass, is he just following on from the Labour/Conservative Northern Relief Road/Northern Route from A14 to Henley Road... or a proper dual carriageway Northern Bypass from the A14 to A12?

We have to be realistic in realising the town MP's party would need to have a majority to form a government to get the funding, but we will take what we can get.

6. martinc

martincFounder Member

I have used the power of twitter to ask him and his local party where I can find his plans when he becomes our MP. If he is any good he will respond! Last time I did this with a major supermarket I was then on the phone with them 5 minutes later after they contacted me to sort out the issue, on a Sunday..!  I don't expect such a quick result but he went to the trouble of following me a few days ago so perhaps he can extend that to letting me in on his plans for Ipswich....

7. OP
    OP
    dan5

I had done the same asking for his website via twitter.  Be interesting whether we get a response.

8. martinc

martincFounder Member

no response yet, I don't think we are going to get one...

its like there is only one horse in this race, so far...

9. OP
    OP
    dan5

On the news I discovered Labour's Manifesto launch will be next week. We won't hear anything until then at the very earliest.

I am not sure what Labour is playing at, why wouldn't they want to take the seat of the person writing a rival party's Manifesto? Especially a constituency which is rather strong for Labour in local elections?!

The Ipswich Star article said about him not being interested in additional responsibilities at Westminster (if I remember correctly, something to do with his age) but the voters might see that as insincere when he is holding back until the national manifesto and campaign has been started. The lack of website really bothers me it has to be said. Ben G had a website before the 2010 General Election campaign. Other councillors have one, Sandy has been one for 20 years...

What annoys me is Labour won't take this seriously until Monday 5th June 2017... most of the ~17500 postal votes in Ipswich will have been received or in the process of being returned by then! Ben Gummer had close to 4000 majority (3733) in 2015... close to double from 2010 which had 2079. People will still vote for a prime minister in General Elections, Corbyn will struggle... it is a big gamble...

10. martinc

martincFounder Member

OK, so no labour manifesto yet, apart from the leaked version, but Gummer locally hit the ground running and Sandy Martin so far as I can tell has yet to wake up to the fact he has an election to fight! A few photos of him with his party buddies waving banners and that's about it. We need to know NOW where he stands on all the local issues so we can weigh these up against all the benshite we are already getting and start to ask questions. How about a local debate with all the candidates fielding questions from the public in the Corn Exchange? This is what we should be getting.. Instead we have one candidate alone hogging all the limelight making bold pronouncements with lots of data all skewed to make him look good.. and no one questioning it.

Or does no one here really care and it simply comes down to which party leader you dislike the least, and which of them with further your closet racist ambitions following Brexit...

11. OP
    OP
    dan5

The leaked manifesto was a draft... and no doubt deliberate to get feedback. I expect some reform to the final manifesto, cutting perhaps unpopular policies and keeping the popular ones which the press and Tories haven't criticised too much. Corbyn doesn't appear to have understanding on how the world works; everything is much more complicated than the days of Robin Hood... lol

I am still confused, I didn't think you could be both a councillor and an MP. Just came across this post on piston heads...
    At the election here in Rochester, the Conservative candidate, Kelly Tolhurst, sent out a leaflet and in it she said that she ran a thriving business.

As a voter in this area, I asked on her Facebook page if she would be able to devote 100% of her time to being an MP and representing her constituents, or would the business still take up a portion of her time. The reply was that she would appoint people to run her business and she would devote all her time to her parliamentary duties.

Come election day, it turned out that as well as being the Conservative candidate for MP, she was also down as standing for the local elections as a councillor.

Someone posted on her Facebook page and asked which box should she tick to vote for her. The reply was "Both!". Another person replied to that and said "But you told Calibrax you would devote all your time to being an MP". No reply was given to this. So on Saturday I replied "Typical politician, tells you what you want to hear. She was clearly hedging her bets in case she lost and she would have the council job to fall back on. But I don't expect you'll get a reply, in fact I would not be surprised if this comment was deleted. It's disgraceful."

Sunday morning... as predicted, the comments are gone, deleted. And I can no longer post on the page.

Kelly Tolhurst was elected as MP, and also elected as a councillor.

Thoughts? Am I making too much of this? She's lied to the electorate, and censored criticism, as well as taking two jobs when she should be concentrating on one or the other. Is this just what we should expect from politicians and we should just let them get away with it?

It seems you can be both. Some credit for David Ellesmere stepping down when he stood for election. Councillors are only part time but seems a bit odd to be stretched over both roles... I am sure there will be conflict between Westminster (H.o.Cs) and local meetings; although as he isn't seeking additional responsibilities as an MP, he could well be highly regarded here... well, if you live in his Ward! it might be a good thing on reflection as it anchors him to local issues. I thought I must point out that I have been corrected from earlier incorrect assumptions! (I don't think it is right especially as he is leader of Labour Group, so in theory he could be both an MP and leader of the council)

I have seen about 3 photos, that is all. As you say Ben hit the ground running, and although both candidates would wait for their manifestos to come out before pressing ahead, you would have thought Sandy would prevent Ben getting an unnecessary head start. Labour members are a funny bunch of people.

Does anyone know how the Ipswich Society Cornhill meeting went last night?

12. martinc

martincFounder Member

in various tweets over last daY or so SandY Martin has come down firmlY for a Northern BYpass, against the big bridge, and for an island site link onlY.
    Hi Nick- housing, NHS, Education, good jobs w decent pay and z Northern bypass for Ipswich. Lots more obviously - read Labour's manifesto

The island site needs access. But the big bridge is an expensive white elephant- better to build Northern bypass/distributor road

and he has personally responded to me bY pm.

oh, and its just 1 laptop that won't do small YYYYs, everY thing else seems to work OK>.!

13. OP
    OP
    dan5

We don't know what his idea for a Northern Bypass involves but it is a victory to avoid the Ben Bridge (Upper Orwell Crossings) getting built.

14. martinc

martincFounder Member

So here we are, not that long until the election. We've had at least 2 Ben's Bulletins, we've had the TorY weak and wobblY leaflets, we have Lib Dem stuff, Ukip stuff but still zip, nadda, zero from Mr Martin. No knock on the door, no leaflet, no letter from CorbYn, not a thing. I need to know what Mr Martin's plans for Ipswich are, I know what his boss is going to do, but no idea locallY. And no Facebook page I can consult, no Website I can read. I appreciate a lot of people are working hard to deliver leaflets, theY maY still get to us, but whY could someone in the local PartY set up a simple website or FAcebook Page? Or whY does the partY nationallY not do that for its candidates, it's not hard. And a postal vote means we have to be making a decision shortlY......  I've have had interaction on Twitter but I'm still mostlY in dark  about what SandY will be bringing to Ipswich if he get's elected, whereas with his main opposition I have the complete picture now, (trees, trees, more trees, and a bridge that looks like trees!)

If he's not going to knock on mY door should I go and knock on his?

15. OP
    OP
    dan5

My views on the Tories are clear. Ben Gummer isn't one at heart but acts to be one to have a career.

Labour's Ipswich General Election campaign is an absolute joke.

No website (not even a facebook) and Sandy Martin couldn't do anything until his party allowed him to. He couldn't do anything in regards to local issues as he had to wait for the manifesto, literature etc. from central party HQ outlining national policy. It is a direct carbon copy of 2015, fielding a candidate who is already in local government, so Labour Party members and voters have someone to choose. The proactive nature appears to be lacking in incredible detail. Sandy has been re-elected again as a local county councillor so he cannot really "lose" as such.

I cannot say I am surprised you haven't received anything. They target specific areas. It is clear Ipswich Labour hasn't had much campaign expenditure allocated to it - whether they are lacking monies or going to spend it elsewhere. Who knows.

Are you able to upload the rest of Ben's Bulletin (on Ben Gummer topic)? As I haven't received that either as of yet.

I have to admit I was sold (despite not really liking Labour or the candidate too much either) on the reallocation of Upper Orwell Crossings funding into the "Northern Bypass". Ben lives in CS&NI (and London) so I cannot see him wanting a NBP. He lives closer to Dr Poulter than Ipswich. I am aware we need to work hard to get a Northern Bypass, neither party will do it off their own backs... as if that was the case it would have already happened. I am also very against career politicians. Ipswich already suffers from the Suffolk Conservatives (anti-Ipswich, the relative new boundaries splitting NW Ipswich away, two tier government) having one representative propping that up cannot continue without increased damage.

16. martinc

martincFounder Member

Still nothing at all from Labour in this household. Now look at this, someone thought this was a good photo to post on twitter to help promote the labour candidate in Ipswich.! Look at the state of the place, its so tattY looking, seriouslY..... is this how the want to promote the look of our town..? Is this what a labour council has given us? It's a joke....!

17. OP
    OP
    dan5

I would go as far to say I don't understand why they take photos at all. Okay, at campaign launches and other events... but it is like they feel they need to document that they actually do go out to canvass. As you have found out, picking a few streets doesn't change the fact the places they haven't yet been. Could you imagine if the constituency included Whitehouse, Whitton and Castle Hill?! Of course, their colleagues will be doing it for CS&NI.

There is no excuse as far as I understand it...
    Every candidate standing in an election is entitled to send
    one communication via Royal Mail, with no charge to them
    for postage, to every eligible elector on the relevant
    electoral register(s) or to every domestic address within the
    relevant electoral area.

I might be wrong, but everyone got a customised boilerplate letter from Theresa May (the candidate name and your name, repeated a few times) which had no stamp or frank mark on it. I would assume this was done through Royal Mail unless posted by the party itself? I am not sure as I would assume it would include Royal Mail on it.

Of course, they want to wait until the last few days... but it alienates Postal Voters. Labour's 2017 election campaign has been poor. A rumour going round that Theresa May wants to lose the election... but it seems (in Ipswich at least) that they aren't hungry enough to win the seat. This is surprising as Ben Gummer had everyone wrapped round his finger before last election in 2015 with his ambitious plan and vision (bloody hate that word now) however, people are starting to realise the benefits he brings to the town is only to help his chums and he leeches on developments he had no part of. Ben's lowest moment as MP was losing the brexit vote and his highest moment was revealing his vanity bridge project... not many people were anywhere near as pleased as he was.

So I think Sandy Martin had been selected as no one else to stand and I get the impression he considers himself too old to do the job so happy to gracefully lose. He just wants to do enough to avoid a landslide. This shows weakness in the overall Labour Party, without bias to my home town (and I not too keen on Labour!) Ipswich should have been a priority, unseating the Tory manifesto writer and son of a senior Tory politician in a town with strong Labour support in local elections. It is end of the month and I am dreading the general election result... local and national!

18. Ipswi

IpswiGuest

Sandy Martin went to a hustings at Burlington baptist church on Sunday. Very positive interview.

1. Reallocate Wet Dock Crossing (Upper Orwell Crossings) funding to Northern Bypass

2. Do something with county hall!

He comes across as a very genuine and likeable person. I hope he is approachable and willing to talk on what we have planned for the town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8okref5n0

19. OP
    OP
    dan5

He has only gone and won! Just 2 years ago Ben Gummer had a big majority. Sandy Martin won with a comfortable margin of over 800 votes.

20. OP
    OP
    dan5

He is evicting an Web Designer who was based at Labour's Silent Street office. I am not sure why Sandy Martin didn't have a website! It didn't matter in the end.

21. OP
    OP
    dan5

Some snippets from Hansard of Sandy Martin's contributions. (We didn't do this for Ben Gummer as his term predates IPSWI in the most part.)

Tobacco Control Plan - Hansard Online

22. OP
    OP
    dan5

Maiden Speech...

Drugs Policy - Hansard Online

23. OP
    OP
    dan5

Interesting case for Scotland... not England, not Ipswich...

Jobcentre Closures - Hansard Online

24. OP
    OP
    dan5

Kier (Suffolk Highways) gets a mention...

I like the point Sandy Martins makes in the following discussion...

Letting Agent Fees (Tenants) - Hansard Online

25. OP
    OP
    dan5

Knife Crime - Hansard Online

26. OP
    OP
    dan5

Free Childcare - Hansard Online

The Rohingya and the Myanmar Government - Hansard Online

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreLocal PoliticsDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 15 views.

2. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkLocal PoliticsNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 84 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Vision: In A Nutshell

by dan5 in Ipswich Democracy GroupLocal PoliticsJul 12, 2017 with 2 replies and 77 views.

4. dan5

Leaked: Actual Ipswich Cornhill End Designs Revealed

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM with 13 replies and 135 views.

5. dan5

Upper Orwell Crossings: December Update

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM with 2 replies and 25 views.

6. dan5

Cornhill Regeneration scheme rockets to £3.6m after cost saving changes

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 11:12 PM with 8 replies and 95 views.

7. dan5

Suffolk Highways: 1 in 10 posts vacant

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM with 2 replies and 22 views.

8. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 73 views.

9. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 209 views.

10. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 303 views.