Rebuild Ipswich West Gate?

Discussion in 'Tourism' started by dan5, Jul 8, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Is it about time we rebuilt some (or one) of Ipswich's historical gates for tourism purposes?

This is something I have been wanting to explore for some time but hitting a brick-wall with no real representation of what any of the three main gates looked like (east gate, west gate and north gate)... until I stumbled across a post on Ipswich Society's facebook page containing a picture of the replica West Gate built for the Golden Jubilee in 1887.

westgate replica.jpg

People love walking through gates and large doors... whether it is a gatehouse or gate at a Chinatown... or a cathedral or castle. I recently went to York and as expected people take photos next to a gatehouse and you can see the excitement as tourists walk through the gates. It sounds silly but is quite empowering.

I don't think it is necessarily practical to rebuild all three but considering two of the locations are very run down it could really pick up those parts of town. Of course, with the axis switch/Ipswich Waterfront focus they aren't interested in saving the extreme ends of the town centre (top end of Westgate St and Carr Street). This is a great shame but this new "vision" could always be dropped for a more traditional outlook.

With a little bit of planning it could be really special. As we have a pictorial representation of what the West Gate looked like (or is believed to have looked like), it being close to anchor tenants in Westgate Street, the New Wolsey Theatre and Ipswich Museum isn't too far either, and other historical elements to support it such as Our Lady of Ipswich.... a simple question.. why not? A good project for lottery funding!

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

Picture not showing although I did see the original Ipswich Society post. Gate ways into the primary shopping area would probably do more than the rubbish proposed for the Cornhill

4. OP
    OP
    dan5

I am convinced this would attract people into the town. The minimum it will do is hide approximately 85% of the view :D You could have artistic licence and include features similar to that on the town hall or making reference to that associated with Ipswich. It would be heritage themed street art - a replica - doesn't require being an exact clone!

It also has some important features... a clock (we all have mobile phones and/or watches but is helpful), two flag masts (union jack/flag and England flag perhaps?) and a platform for festive decorations. Could even be used as a platform for CCTV haha. For benefit of ease of access (until it is sorted!) the Ipswich Society link is as follows:-

Are you on Chrome? It is really annoying me! Shows up on my phone and another browser. I uploaded to webspace to get round this but the site converted the link into an attachment. Error something to do with "SPY PROTOCOL ERROR" likely a bug with Chrome... although I am up to date and Google returns links to forums and websites going back years for the same error. The thumbnail for the topic appeared to work on homepage. I tried to diagnose the fault listening to various clearing browser cache, DNS refresh etc. but making absolutely no difference. Including skipping Cloudflare by host file. The wordpress way of images was much better. :mad:

5. martinc

martincFounder Member

Chrome, yes. I came across the Ips Soc Article again over the weekend as well as another picture of said gate in its original form which was very different to the 1887 mock up, so guessing that was not too accurate. I would imagine the old Ipswich gates were more than likely brick constructions (as Pykenhams gate and Wolseys gate) rather than stone, or perhaps were timber framed, that recreation looks more like something from York..

• Informative Informative x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

I think you are right - it wouldn't have been stone.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Ipswich Northern Bypass Nbp Part 6

by dan5 in Northern BypassTourismAug 1, 2017 with 114 replies and 1470 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Festive Market 2017

by dan5 in EventsTourismNov 1, 2017 with 5 replies and 99 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Festive Market

by dan5 in TourismTourismJul 14, 2017 with 5 replies and 91 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Through The Looking Glass

by dan5 in EventsTourismOct 26, 2017 with 3 replies and 65 views.

5. dan5

Booking.nay - Last minute October getaways!

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatTourismOct 11, 2017 with 2 replies and 42 views.

6. dan5

Nextdoor

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatTourismOct 13, 2017 with 1 replies and 50 views.

7. dan5

Suffolk Highways (Kier)

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatTourismSep 23, 2017 with 5 replies and 66 views.

8. dan5

Unlimited National Banger Championship Of The World

by dan5 in TourismTourismOct 7, 2017 with 3 replies and 66 views.

9. martinc

Newsbot really does get involved...

by martinc in Satire NewsTourismOct 4, 2017 with 3 replies and 35 views.

10. dan5

Pret A Manager coming to Buttermarket Centre

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatTourismSep 29, 2017 with 1 replies and 52 views.