Quay Place In Ipswich Wins Civic Voice Design Award

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:25 AM.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

A church which has been rescued from being derelict and transformed into a vibrant heritage and wellbeing centre has won a top award.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Quay Place Ipswich
    1. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    4. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    5. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    6. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    7. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    8. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    9. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:
    10. newsbot
      Replies:
      Views:

3. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

These awards are effectively purchased. Nothing in places like Ipswich gets these awards unless huge amounts of money have been spent beforehand. I assume to be shortlisted the project needs to be over a certain amount of millions...

Also, on the part about "heritage centre" we were promised (take with a pinch of salt) an ambitious project on the waterfront quayside - with a viewing tower/floor at the top... (probably a restaurant/cafe too)

Is this renovated church the actual reality to the heritage centre? (I believe the project may have been linked to the waterfront record office and to have been the "gateway to the waterfront")

I am actually very pleased the church has been saved from a church ruin... (it might not sound it!) but are we going for heritage tourism here or modern day-visitors?

The Ipswich Waterfront (with exception to the old buildings like Customs House) was a modern regeneration of the old wet dock (largest in Europe at the time it was built I believe). There is the window display, plenty of history to look around (including modern uses of Issac Lord complex) and plenty of information available on the history online... but the concept (hence the expensive architecture of the university buildings - a basic non-flattering version of the same square feet would have likely been half the price) was a modern adaptation from the old history.

With plans of a modern design Upper Orwell Crossing (not that the competition design will go ahead) that is even more ultra-modern architecture... There has been calls of a tourist attraction including an "M Shed" (Bristol) like development. M for Museum I believe.

I think the modern day regeneration of the area has been put on hold, perhaps the council doesn't want everything being too modern... after all they want to make the waterfront the town centre. The only truly modern part of Ipswich town centre is the Willis Building (this should have changed everything, it didn't) - if people want to see history and our heritage... Ipswich town centre is the place to be, not the Ipswich Waterfront! (Not to forget IBC tried the "Ipswich Village" project which miserably failed)

IPSWI beta