Pot Holes.

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by martinc, Aug 17, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. martinc

martincFounder Member

It's getting really bad. You expect a few bits of poor road here and there, but this morning in a two mile drive from outskirts into town centre i now have to actively steer around 4 significant potholes now that I think could potentially damage the car, would most certainly throw off a cyclist or biker.. Now they have all been marked with spray paint so Highways know about them all. But one of the, actually the hardest to avoid, and it means taking a very odd line at a busy junction, was marked so long ago the paint has now all worn off, but the hole is still there and getting bigger. These are not areas where a bit of the top wearing course has come away, but holes of several inches depth right through the black top into the sub base below.. Actually no, one of them is the start of a potential sink hole, where the road has sunk but surface more or less stayed intact, and it continues to sink. Its the sort of thing that could end up in the news when it finally gives way and a bus falls into a large hole... What with those and the foot high weeds in the gutters, its not looking good. We have had a few bits resurfaced of course in recent weeks of course, I think a hole has already been dug through part of that in Woodbridge Road...

• Informative Informative x 1

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
      We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
      • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

Similar Threads - Holes
      1. martinc
        8 replies

• dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

It is a disgrace of the state the roads are in.

Suffolk Highways (or to the point Kier) are to blame. Elsewhere, at the station area the roads are being resurfaced multiple times in a few months...

Part of this is cosmetic in Burrell Road etc. to compliment the nearby station forecourt works...

A relative had to replace a suspension spring recently due to pot holes. What are we paying taxes for?

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

I think I mentioned I'd reported a couple of potholes recently, both had been marked up and I got an email about one of them! Well today I took my usual route into the town centre and blow me down, one of them has been repaired! Progress.....

• dan5

Credit where credit is due! I suppose it was the one nearest to a councillor's house?

Just out of interest, was it the smallest/largest one of the two? (or the shallowest/deepest?)

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

its was the smallest, the other one continues to get deeper. I assume something underneath has collapsed, and they really need to investigate it, although i think they have done the same there before, I anticipate closure of the bottom of Christchurch St in order to do that properly, meantime cars continue to bump through it or drive around it! And if it opened right up and a bus fell in I would not be surprised..

And I doubt any councillors live at the junction of Orchard St and Woodbridge Road,!

• dan5

Yeah, I thought it would be the smallest one!

Street View seems to suggest the bottom of Christchurch Street being resurfaced in 2010.

I need to take a trip down there soon to see what the pothole is like.

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

no parking bollards have appeared at the bottom of Christchurch Street, so anticipating this is a precursor to works to investigate and fill in the sink hole...

• dan5

Positive news. It would appear this to be the case. They don't do anything in a hurry, we can expect some severe disruption while they do this.

Is this evident of the Key Street works being complete? It will be the same pool of staff.

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

well it looks like Christchurch St has had a quick bodge done now. Rather than dig a hole to find out the root cause of the depression in the road surface they have put some more black stuff in to to level it up. That's the second time they've done that, the first lot of black stuff sunk as the depression got deeper. but best of all there is still a depression in the road, so its not even been properly leveled up..

• dan5

Kier... has to be Suffolk Highways to blame. The annoying factor for me is it isn't like Kier is pulling the wool over the county council's eyes, they fully understand what is going on.

• dan5

Four day lane closure on A1071 Woodbridge Road (Anglia Water) for "Comm pipe repair" location given is 32a. This started around midday. Just before Christchurch Street. Right lane closure I believe but only seen online information not been past.

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

that bit has been dug up lots just lately, ! I'll avoid it...

• dan5

I think Anglia Water has a contract with SCC for creating severe traffic disruption. It may sound a conspiracy but I don't ever recall there being so many roadworks around in the past... and it isn't like there is many new roads in Ipswich.

Someone is micromanaging disruption to all our lives :D

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

I went that way I forgot. It's was after 7.00 pm but chaotic. People crossing from left lane to right lane then having to immediately change back due to the road works blocking right lane which they couldn't see and weren't getting any prior notice of.

• dan5

Sounds about right. Only Highways England and usually Suffolk Highways do proper signage. Utility companies rarely give any prior notice. I find it interesting how utility companies have the right to dig up any part of the public highway, without the need for prior permission from the local authority.

• dan5

According to Google Maps, there appears to be an additional roadworks further down Woodbridge Road...

Roadworks.org says this is Suffolk Highways for "Gully cleansing." (Ref: LY300WOO-NAT) affecting the full length of the road. There is apparently stop/go boards. Also happening in Felixstowe Road, Colchester Road and Bixley Road.

Don't they have those trucks (drain cleaners) which suck out the blockages? For Woodbridge Road it is one way so surprised it requires additional traffic management.

• dan5

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincFounder Member

lol, yes, i think its more than silly, just posted that in another thread before I read this!

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreLocal PoliticsDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 15 views.

2. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkLocal PoliticsNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 84 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Vision: In A Nutshell

by dan5 in Ipswich Democracy GroupLocal PoliticsJul 12, 2017 with 2 replies and 77 views.

4. dan5

Leaked: Actual Ipswich Cornhill End Designs Revealed

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM with 13 replies and 135 views.

5. dan5

Upper Orwell Crossings: December Update

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM with 2 replies and 25 views.

6. dan5

Cornhill Regeneration scheme rockets to £3.6m after cost saving changes

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 10, 2017 at 11:12 PM with 8 replies and 95 views.

7. dan5

Suffolk Highways: 1 in 10 posts vacant

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsDec 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM with 2 replies and 22 views.

8. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 73 views.

9. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 209 views.

10. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 303 views.