Orwell Bridge Closures: Emergency Services headache

Discussion in 'Orwell Bridge Closures' started by dan5, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

It has been mentioned before. So people will get caught up in traffic getting from A to B. You will lose your time. You will lose money through burning more fuel. If you have an awful boss you might even lose your job or expect to not be paid for the time you were stuck in traffic. None of it is ideal. But could someone lose their life?
    OrwellBridgeClosed-EmergencyServices-AmbulanceStuck.png
    The above picture is around 3pm. Pre-rush hour school run. Circled is an ambulance. I am not sure how long it was stuck here before I managed to take a photo. I could pretend and lie to say the ambulance was here for a long time later... credit to the drivers in the long queue who managed to position themselves to let the ambulance through. The ambulance wasn't held up any longer than a few minutes after I took this photo.

The ambulance then has to battle the next big junction... and I presume going on the old bypass A1214 to the hospital would struggle to negotiate single carriageway roads.

In the profession there is something called the golden hour.
    I doubt this ambulance would have been held up at this part for longer than 5 minutes (no evidence of this either way) especially that traffic flow heading out of town was so light which allows for using the fast lane on the opposite carriageway. If it came from London Road it would have had the bus lane.

I don't know where this ambulance came from and how long it took to get here (I am assuming it is heading towards the hospital) but the hour includes an ambulance arriving and then getting back to the hospital. It has spent a twelfth just at this one junction.

You cannot choose when you - or a friend or family member - need urgent medical assistance. We don't know whether this ambulance was responding to a life threatening emergency. The purpose of this article is to suggest it isn't the case of inconvenience and losing some money; if fate says you are to require emergency medical treatment, it isn't first going to check if the bridge is open before that happens!

Of course, this applies to all emergency services... your house could be on fire, someone could be drowning in a river or a domestic violence case, just a few examples.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. martinc

Central Suffolk MP Dr Dan Poulter sticks hands up female MP skirts

by martinc in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresNov 5, 2017 with 2 replies and 82 views.

2. dan5

Upper Orwell Crossings: August Update

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsOrwell Bridge ClosuresAug 6, 2017 with 10 replies and 110 views.

3. martinc

Filthy, dirty, scruffy Ipswich.

by martinc in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresJun 21, 2017 with 8 replies and 131 views.

4. dan5

Ben Gummer

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresApr 15, 2017 with 65 replies and 184 views.

5. martinc

Pot Holes.

by martinc in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresAug 17, 2017 with 17 replies and 132 views.

6. dan5

Ipswich Star changes its comments facility

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresJun 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 81 views.

7. dan5

IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUST (I-AM)

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresFeb 15, 2017 with 2 replies and 64 views.

8. dan5

Sandy Martin

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOrwell Bridge ClosuresMay 6, 2017 with 24 replies and 103 views.

9. dan5

Majors Corner traffic light failure

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockOrwell Bridge ClosuresOct 10, 2017 with 6 replies and 66 views.

10. martinc

Orwell Bridge Closed September, October

by martinc in Orwell Bridge ClosuresOrwell Bridge ClosuresSep 16, 2017 with 37 replies and 477 views.