Orwell Bridge Closed September, October

Discussion in 'Civic & Community' started by martinc, Sep 16, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. martinc

martincMember

Yes, there are signs around the town announcing that the Orwell Bridge is closed, September, October. And then it goes on to say somethingl like to avoid congestion avoid the diversion routes.. (need a photo!)

Now hang on, this reads like the bridge is shut for a whole two months, how mad and stupid is that.

We have had a letter at home from Kier sent to us presumably as residents on the diversion route to tell us they are doing maintenance and there will be overnight closures (need to scan it for here) but that mentions night closures, starting next week for three weeks (15 nights) This will be a full closure, not just one direction, so its going to be hell on the diversion routes over night.

This is supposed to be part of a 6 year inspection routine the letter says, but I swear it seems to come round a lot more often than that. So accepting this is necessary work, and its only night closure why the hell have they put signs up saying is closed for two months with no qualifications about night works.! I was travelling this morning with someone who had already got confused by it and not gone via the bridge this week assuming it was shut!

Mad, mad, mad.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!

Similar Threads - Orwell Bridge Closed
      1. martinc
        6 replies

• dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

BBC Radio Suffolk - Stephen Foster, 13th September 2017: Orwell Bridge closures and Lowestoft roadworks chaos, Overnight closures planned for the Orwell Bridge

Is this it?

Felixstowe Port Users' Association - News / Travel News - A14/Orwell Bridge Night closures

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincMember

yeah, thats more or less the contents of the letter but not exactly the same. I've spotted more of the closure signs around the town now. How misleading can you possibly get!

• watchfull

watchfullMember

Colin Noble's latest blog, funny thing I put a comment on there tonight, more or less saying that he is talking about everything else but not one mention of the very much needed NBP for Ipswich -- still no reply to my letter to him of one week ago

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincMember

I've emailed highways england as it suggests in the letter if you have issues with this, I don't expect to get any further than the auto reply i already got. i will add it to the list of unresolved and unanswered emails which now include; SCC highways, IBC and S Martin.
      There is an arrogance about all these organisations it seems to me, they all think they are much bigger and far more important than all of us who pay their wages...

• dan5

this is why I want to create a democratic group for Ipswich. very few people interested and I don't want to create another small close knit group with just several members. it is a catch 22.

considering whether hiring a hall or room and promoting it would work or be a waste of money and time. Would work in other areas.

• OP
      OP
      martinc

martincMember

Oh here come the trucks, first night we've had them so far, now for 8 hours of rumbling, and shaking... Oh what a joy....

Just how can it be right to send hgvs down residential streets at 40 mph for a continuous 8 hours every night for however many nights its going to be? HOW????

And if one of the solutions to this is to send them down some different residential streets and over Ben's vanity bridge then that is just bloody disgusting, they should be driven on roads that are suitable for them or not all. If they need the bridge clear to work on then do it in 2-4 hours shifts and stack the trucks on the A14 and A12. Just like everything else in this shit hole of a town the loyal residents always come last....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • wrightie

wrightieNew Member

Ravenswood, one road in and no through road, lorries do occasionally get stuck here afterbeing a slave to their sat nav. Even buses struggle along the main road, let alone Martenet Green with in a single lane and full of parked cars. I have never seen two lorries come together though. Took them 40 minutes to turn around. Hit a fence, and scraped two cars in the process. Both Polish registered lorries.

Awful image quality and terrible filming. The end part of the video is them leaving, at 23:10 Wonder how many more will come. At 58 seconds you can see the first lorry, facing the other way It managed to somehow turn around in an area tighter than that of the video.

Not me talking in the video, it brought a crowd for a good 30-40 minutes (I came out three times) and set a few car alarms off.

• Informative Informative x 2
        Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
      • OP
        OP
        martinc

martincMember

I have to admit its been an ambition to go around and move a load of the diversion signs, to send a few trucks down someone else street for a change! I will be dreaming of this again tonight as I go to sleep to the rumble and shaking from all the trucks again, I have to say it seemed a lot worse last night than previous occasions, there must have been a great deal more hgv traffic, have volumes using the port jumped up a lot since last regular closures ? It seemed like an almost continuous stream last night.

• Like Like x 1
        • OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

I'll probably have a rant about this every night for the next three weeks, you've been warned. Despite the road closures being advertised as from 9.00pm the trucks were rumbling past from nearer 8.30pm tonight. The worst ones are those which rattle, and of course as they hit some of the pot holes in the road this becomes much worse.... I know on occasions bits of the A12 and A14 are closed over night and there are diversions through other towns and villages but so far as I'm aware these are usually for the odd night, not for three bloody weeks or what ever this Orwell Bridge closure ends up being. I really think this is unacceptable, as suggested before the inconvenience should be to the trucks not the long suffering residents of the busy diversion route who get enough traffic disruption the rest of the year. So do the work in shorter slots and stack up the trucks. Or close it during the day, from 10.00am to 3.00pm to avoid the busy times. Of course currently that would cause extra chaos as Woodbridge Road is also closed in part so traffic is already diverted... Or hey, here's novel idea, build another road around Ipswich for them to use..!

I think I may dig out the tent and head down to the Old Cattlemarket Bus Station, for a couple of weeks of nice quiet nights..

• dan5

There is demand for 10,000 new homes in the Ipswich borough... the roads already struggle at peak hours and this is when there is no roadworks. The alternative is get out on your bike instead of your car, but you are breathing in the same toxic fumes. Hasn't solved a problem at all.

They cannot be serious about committing to even a quarter of these without a Northern Bypass (even a single carriageway) except some villages are getting a bypass for Sizewell C - this is understandable but at the same time highlights how ridiculous this is.

The daytime non-peak is a great suggestion (no night time disturbance and most people will be away at work) but the bridge is only inspected every 6 years (?) which seems like every 3 years to me... a northern alternative would route away this problem entirely when it arises. What is quite some mileage as a diversion wouldn't matter to most as with the NSL of a similar road (compared to town network roads) it will be much quicker still.

Port of Felixstowe previously avoided such problems with a bridge closure by simply not booking in trucks. This can be done when you have advanced pre-warning. Planned inspections fall under this. I understand how frustrating this is for their industry but it is part and parcel of it. We should also not forget it is the primary reason for the Orwell Bridge in the first place - their bridge, their problem. Up until this we had Felixstowe Road combination of single and dual carriageway and not to forget the passing places (Why on earth not use traffic lights here? :D).

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

Yeah, this may be the regular 6 year inspection but I reckon it gets interim inspections as well, plus other maintenance, I seems to recall it was only a couple of years ago it was shut for a couple of weeks over night for bearing replacement, plus we then had a couple of storms which shut it again, all in run up to Christmas I think. Let's face it the old bridge is way to delicate to rely on, that's the really scary bit. How many other places have such a bridge as the sole viable route? Because I refuse to accept that bringing trucks past so many people's homes via current route or via Ben bridge is in anyway justifiable for anything other then the direst emergency for a couple of hours max. Can you tell how totally pissed off I am with this current work!!!!

• dan5

Yes there was bearing replacements not too long back.

ob-bearings.png
          Further back, In 1998 they replaced the movement joints of the bridge which required maintenance in 2008... I would have a guess that it is likely due for more work in the next few years if not replacement.

Either way the bridge traffic shouldn't be going through the town and the Ben Bridge isn't a suitable alternative. Even for emergencies or maintenance... a solution had already been found, just not built.

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

yep, I try to not let it get to me, but when you can literally feel every truck going by and the rumbling and rattling from some of the trailers etc can be head above the hifi, the tv, and even when sitting listening to music with headphones you do get pretty pi**ed off with it. And we are someway back from the road, it must be a nightmare in some homes at the moment. And we have two weeks left to go. It starts about 8.30pm as well, in fact if it was later then at least you would not have the evening ruined by it as well. We are currently using a back bedroom and also earplugs to sleep in a front room, so you can work around it and sleep, or we can anyway.

I really is beyond belief that they think a three week diversion through the town overnight is in anyway appropriate. I think its disgusting... I would complain but frankly who will listen.... by the time they do, it will be over... and we will then have the diversions due to winter storms, winter accidents and all the other many and varied reasons the bridge closes to look forward to, which are usually quite regular during the darker months...

I wonder how many other towns are cities are quite in this position? OK so there are a lot of bridges on major trunk roads but I suspect in most cases there are diversion routes that still keep trucks out of residential streets and on proper roads, even if the diversions are long. Can't happen here can it, they could all head up the A12, across the A47 and down the A11, that's the only other way and the A12 goes through villages.

• dan5

I would say I know what you mean as I have also experienced such in the past but really you cannot understand that without currently experiencing it. When you are unable to drown out the sound it is awful and unbearable. It is then a difficulty for both your own mental health (i.e. sanity) and you risk damaging your hearing by trying to replace the sound with something better.

Might be worth complaining but it won't get you far. The council won't understand it isn't a noise you can get used to. The vibrations caused in particular on the surface of the road, like you say, creates a lot of rattle and rumbling which isn't such a problem on the A12 or A14... but is on residential streets. It is quite a nuisance in the day, let alone at night.

I cannot think of any. As you say, they are usually long diversions to avoid it or there is a redundant road network which can take the demand - even at a push. With the new homes (10,000 or so) they really need to look at the road network problem with serious thought. Ben Gummer's Vanity Bridge relies on inadequate roads and only is helpful for a closed bridge as a diversion route.

• dan5

Found this on Twitter....

Very little clips available.

Searched youtube and found this fight (warning: underclass and swearing featured - McDs effect! I assume it is where they came from)

Video description...

At the weekend and after midnight... quite a volume of lorries still. Unbelievable that a) people can fight in the middle of a road junction with passing HGVs and b) the 9 minute video (no idea how long it went on before being filmed), there is no police response. I was also surprised how well behaved the drivers were (maybe they are half asleep) - why did no lorries blast their airhorn?!

I know the world won't miss these sort of people if they were deceased but (I am assuming someone - the person filming, a car driver or a lorry driver phoned the police we don't know that to be sure) how come the police didn't see this as critical to respond to? Is this austerity? Or is it fair game for the fight to be allowed to commence on a busy road in pitch darkness? Even with headlights, what if if a lorry or car took one of the men out if they stepped in their path? What a place Ipswich has become.

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

only 7 more nights to go, so just over half way, assuming they complete on time....

• dan5

They might finish on time. It is possible. It is almost October, there will be bridge closures soon in the daytime. Whether this is high winds or an incident on the bridge, it is bound to happen.

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

meanwhile our politicians stand idly by doing absolutely bugger all (so it appears) about a proper alternative route that doesn't cause chaos in some part of the town. It really is so hard to believe the current lack of any apparent progress with a NBP, the only real solution.

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

we were away both saturday and sunday night last weekend so didn't get the benefit. But sitting here this evening the quiet is wonderful, the house hasn't shook once, not one rattly hgv trailer, its like wow.... no doubt they will be back at it Monday night...

• dan5

Yes, hopefully the storms will come later in the year. There is forecast for some strong winds but nothing so extreme to require the bridge to be shut. Hopefully.

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

I started a conversation on Nextdoor about this. Seems lots are unhappy about. What a surprise..

• dan5

• OP
          OP
          martinc

martincMember

12.30am Thursday 5 October 2017. The scene over a 5 minute period in a residential street in Ipswich..

22 trucks... listen to the sound as the trailers rattle over the broken road surface..

this is a typical 5 minutes period, I just happened to get home then and decided to count the trucks...

• Informative Informative x 1
          • dan5

Unacceptable, particularly at that time!

The only solution is other ports winning over Felixstowe, in terms of winning business. Wouldn't bother me which port the goods arrive at. They all come to Ipswich etc. from regional depots.