Northern Bypass for Ipswich

Discussion in 'Northern Bypass' started by sl_watchfull, Jan 10, 2016.

Not open for further replies.
Random Thread
  1. sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

It has be suggested that we bring this subject up again--can we have your views on this and the reason why--if the Orwell bridge shut down the Valley road gets grid locked--if the big expansion comes about North of Westerfield--it will get worst--I can enlarge upon this but will wait to see what reaction there is forthcoming to this post.

[ This in an archive of the original post by Watchfull on Streetlife. ]

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

There you go a very constructive comment from Richard--I wonder if it would cost as much as 12 miles of the suggested Northern bypass--but that would depend on how much would have to paid to the owners of that land--and would Ben Gummer be coming to their aid?

4. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Well I have tried to start a debate off Linda C--now is the chance for you to put your remarks/suggestions forward--if we dont put in--  we wont get nothing out--feed back is always needed--if I can get 100 hits I will ask the SCC to have a look at what people are talking about on here--

5. sl_john_e_b

sl_john_e_bNew Member

Hi
    Well we need the north bypass but the only way the land owners will not object is to reschedule the land inside the bypass for housing development then the land owners will make a fortune . We. Also need the tunnel great idea also the A12 needs upgrading to the Wickham market bypass standard right up to Yarmouth.

Good luck

If we had spent the 285 million aid to India on our roads we would be better off and not funding the Indian space race mars launch this week

6. sl_bobf

sl_bobfNew Member

As we are being fanciful,why can't we follow the railway ,even using a raised road over the top.Joining the A12 inbetween Martlesham and Woodbridge.If thats no good be forward looking and stick the whole thing underground like crossrail ,no doubt what ever happens motorists will be asked to pay a toll to use it.

7. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Hi Peter M in the debate about traffic lights you asked the question--(can you explain said Northern Bypass)  I can not give you a link but if you google--Proposed Northern Bypass for Ipswich--it will come up with a number of maps on this subject--hope this will be of help to you--if memory serves me correctly the idea of a N B P came up over five years ago so it is not a new idea--please add your comments to this debate if you think fit--

8. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Bob F steady on old chap LOL I see from where you are coming from--but do you not think the subject of the N B P have been pushed under ground for far too long? and your idea of like cross rail is out of this world SOH--( sense of humour)

9. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

That has opened my eyes Richard  18-20 years ago!  working on those figures what chance do we stand now--some one needs their back side kicking dont you think. but after all its only Ipswich what do they care? Ipswich people never did count for anything in some peoples eyes--

10. sl_bobf

sl_bobfNew Member

Watchfull Well there is no point building for today we have to look to the future ,surely if they can do it for crossrail why not here .We are being told the east is fastest growing economy ,treat it as such .Stop giving everything to the cities eg Norwich and Cambridge. Or perhaps we are to remain weekend retreats for the middle classes with second homes out of London.

11. sl_derickl

sl_dericklNew Member

As an ex HGV driver I made the proposal that a tunnel or bridge should have been built between Felixstowe and Harwich.   Both docks are owned by the same organisation and the London bound traffic would go direct to the A12 at Colchester, and if there was an incident at the Orwell Bridge the alternative route would be available, and no traffic in the town of Ipswich.    This suggestion was printed in the Evening star on two occasions    but  there was never any comments printed.

12. sl_interested

sl_interestedNew Member

It seems to me that it is easier for consecutive councils to prevaricate so that no-one ever has to make a decision. Whatever is decided, if anything, there will be lots of complaints from all over the place; everyone has an axe to grind. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and say yes, this is what we are going to do. If only people tried to do what is the best for everyone, the least disruptive for everyone, without greed or selfishness playing a part. I suspect I will be accused of being naive here, but there must be some honest politicians, councillors, somewhere, surely?

13. sl_hughb

sl_hughbNew Member

I only moved to Ipswich in 1998 so can someone enlighten me as to why the southern bypass was chosen over the northern bypass.

14. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Hugh in my opinion and others any thing that will benefit Ipswich dont rate--only places like London--Cambridge and Norwich--at Felixstowe we have the only container port in England that can take the biggest ships in the world--Should the Orwell bridge  have to close this creates havoc in Ipswich on the Valley Road (A1214) and other parts of Ipswich. if they carry on to build the expansion North of Westerfield with out a NBP the traffic from these areas would have no choice but to use the Valley road as well--that is one reason we will need a NBP. or a tunnel as Richard have spoke about--the problem is--Rich greedy land owners backed by a Tory run SCC--the fate of Ipswich was sealed long ago-- starting with Henry V111. but dont get me stared on this one--not much of an answer to your question hope it will do--

15. sl_peterp

sl_peterpNew Member

my son wrote about building the nbp for his A level ,that was 22 years ago. I think he wrote 19 pages. why dose mr gummer not want the nbp?.

16. sl_interested

sl_interestedNew Member

And, 'I rest my case', as they say. 

17. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

As far as I can see Mr Gummer is still against it--should he not be made to give his honest reasons--how he has held on to his job as MP I just do not know--come on Mr Gummer have a read of streetlife and see what people do think--
    We live in h

18. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

To finish off----We live in hope and die in despair---sorry folks the lap top decided to do its own thing--

19. sl_charlesw

sl_charleswNew Member

I think that there is a important fact regarding having a northern bypass.
    Norwich which has had the same situation appears to have the funding to connect from West to East next to their other bypass completed, but does not have the largest container port to connect to in the UK like Ipswich.
    If for any reason heavens forbid the Orwell bridge had some structural fault and had to be shut for a period of time days even weeks  then you may as well shut Felixstowe docks down completely, with most of our exports coming in to the port could that be  sustainable?.. as the whole as the whole of town would be gridlocked and could not possibly deal with that situation with no alternative route to the port
     We have already seen on just several hours closure has proven to be disastrous.

There is also a planning application for more houses  northern part of the town which has no sustainable road structure if you are using  Valley Road Colchester Road it certainly couldn't cope.
    We need to recognise the largest container port in the UK has to have a good road structure.. Even Dover has two major motorways connecting the port if one is blocked .
    The Northern by pass  road has been talked about for years and brushed one side now is the time to get to grips with the traffic situation.

20. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Thank you Charles W for offering such a comprehensive number of reasons for a Northern Bypass--incorporating most if not all of the reasons put forward by myself and others on here--much better perhaps--Do you or any one else think it would be a good move to ask Matt of the SCC to start having a deco at this debate--and perhaps come back with some answers--although I believe his hands are tied some what by those above him--

21. sl_charlesw

sl_charleswNew Member

yes there were a few points mentioned before   as there was a lot to get through to read, but don't think anybody had mentioned about the fact Norwich is getting the final link to their bypass... or what would happen over a very long period with the Orwell bridge closed.

also can anybody remember the traffic survey paid for by Suffolk county council back in the 90s  the company in which they took all the facts and figures  and they recommended a northern bypass but the powers to be scrapped the idea  at the cost of the survey £400,000 .

22. sl_charlesw

sl_charleswNew Member

yes I agree a good idea to get in contact with Suffolk county council..

23. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Note for Matt of the Suffolk County Council--As it would seem that you always answer for the SCC--this is an open invitation to read through the post's of this debate and make replies. and if possible pass remarks or come up with some answer's--Please note that I have also sent a private message to you on this same subject--

24. sl_suffolkcountycouncil

sl_suffolkcountycouncilNew Member

Hello Watchfull and everyone else in this thread, thank you for your DM asking me to comment about the Ipswich Northern Bypass discussions.

As I have said previously, the whole customer services team are not allowed to comment or debate peoples opinions about subjects (believe me sometimes that is the hardest part of my job!) - what we try to do is signpost people to information which is already in the public domain which can help answer service related queries.

Where decisions are still being discussed politically it is important that we as officers step back and allow elected members to control and determine the outcomes of those discussions.

On that basis it is therefore very important that you reach out to your locally elected councillors and make them aware of your feelings on such matters. If you need any help contacting your councillor you can find more information here: https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-and-elected-representatives/find-your-c...

However - What I will do is to ensure that this thread is passed through to the Highways Planning team here at SCC in my weekly social media report. This will at least make them aware of your conversations and they will be able to see what you have said/suggested about the Northern Bypass.

Hope this at least helps explain my teams position here.

Matt - Customer Services

25. OP
    OP
    sl_watchfull

sl_watchfullNew Member

Hello all I think we must thank Matt--Customer Services of the SCC for replying and as one can see his hands are tied some what--it would seem that the SCC are aware of this debate--next question is do we get in touch with our councillors through the link provided by Matt or not?--I feel that we need more punters on here at he moment and I dont want to start some thing that we can not finish--what are your opinions on this?

26. sl_interested

sl_interestedNew Member

Without wishing to be a Cassandra, I fear that getting in touch with councillors will be like whistling in the wind and we'll get nowhere. Given that this topic was being discussed 22 years ago, is there really any likelihood of us getting anywhere? The days of councillors representing the feelings of their neighbourhoods seem to be long gone, or maybe they have just given up too.

Not open for further replies.