Mongol Rally: Micra Driver Heading From Ipswich On 10,000 Mile Trip

Discussion in 'Suffolk News' started by newsbot, Jul 17, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

An Ipswich driver is getting ready for a 10,000 mile voyage to Mongolia with a £234 Nissan Micra.

Continue reading... on BBC News website

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Mongol Rally Micra
    1. newsbot
      4 replies

3. martinc

martincMember

this is potentially one of those so called "charity" events where the cost to do it will far outweigh the benefits in terms of money raised. I have no issues if they guy wants to do the journey, sounds like a great adventure, but don't dress it up as for charity first. It may only be a £234.00 car but the cost of fuel, accommodation, food, tariffs tolls, etc etc traveling that distance and route are going to be massive. So unless he can beat that cost considerably with his fund raising then stay at home and donate the £234.00 to charity. The whole world will then be better off for it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

I hate all these events... charity is just a way of justifying something... "Oh but it is for charity..."

If you are doing a fundraising event for charity the fundamental importance is raising the money...

The most popular fundraising activities for charitable causes is head shaves and bed of baked beans. Why? They are very cheap to do. In recent years you can probably add cold buckets of water...

I actually like the sound of this adventure... probably once in a lifetime. They say charity starts at home... well, it doesn't mean the primary beneficiary is yourself! Even if not in cash terms.

The rules of rally (according to the video) is raising £1000 (or more) for charity. I am not sure if he will be raising money and taking off his expenses or whether he is covering all his costs for the trip.

From an earlier Ipswich Star article (before they had a car):-

I wish them well. Related links...
      Rallying4Rainforests (direct to Cool Earth, £120 raised so far)
      (funding for visa, food etc. - over £4k - states £2k of it will go charity)
      All Pamir and No Idea: Mongol Rally 2017 (failed - either didn't meet minimum or didn't meet their rules probably the latter)

Added: Seems a "gofundme" account setup to fund the trip to the tune of £4201 so far. £2k is supposed to go to charity of this amount... I am not sure if this includes the £1k from the Cool Earth fundraiser - if so would be misleading. Of course, still plenty of time for fundraising. I think it is all good but I get the impression that neither are sticking their hands in their own pockets which may mean problems if they don't raise enough. You have to be hopeful but there is a need to underwrite the cost of the trip so raised monies go to charity. I wouldn't have a clue how much such a rally would cost for 2 people. The other question to be asked is, if the £2k targets to the charities have been accounted for and all their costs met, does the balance of monies reach the charities or their back pockets? (If they do well in fundraising do they choose a hostel to increase monies to charity or do they invest in a well-deserved hotel?) I guess the answer is:- "we will need to wait!"

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Orwell Bridge closed for ‘several hours’ after serious crash this morning

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM with 9 replies and 50 views.

2. dan5

Orwell Bridge closure reignites debate over need for Ipswich northern bypass

by dan5 in Northern Bypass NewsSuffolk NewsOct 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM with 1 replies and 14 views.

3. dan5

‘Weather bomb’ warning as Storm Brian gusts of 60mph set to batter Suffolk and Essex

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

4. dan5

Word on the Street: How cam traffic chaos be improved when the Orwell Bridge is closed?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetSuffolk NewsOct 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM with 1 replies and 15 views.

5. dan5

No plans to shut Orwell Bridge as Storm Brian winds set to hit Suffolk at lunchtime

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeSuffolk NewsOct 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM with 1 replies and 11 views.

6. dan5

Foxhall Stadium firm fined £100,000 for four health and safety breaches

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM with 1 replies and 20 views.

7. dan5

Youngsters present food bank with donation from school’s harvest festival

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM with 1 replies and 15 views.

8. dan5

Strip Greater Anglia of franchise say union over alleged ‘safety failings’

by dan5 in Greater AngliaSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM with 1 replies and 17 views.

9. dan5

Hate crime and online abuse intervention for students across Suffolk

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM with 1 replies and 9 views.

10. dan5

Orwell bridge reopens after eight-hour closure due to fatal crash

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeSuffolk NewsOct 20, 2017 at 3:07 PM with 1 replies and 11 views.