Leaked: Actual Ipswich Cornhill End Designs Revealed

Discussion in 'Cornhill Regeneration' started by dan5, Dec 10, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

So we didn't get another consultation and the council applied itself for planning permission, granting it despite large opposition; can you believe it that the design as part of the planning application process is not going to be anything like the end design?

Likely Design

These monoliths are less vanilla but not any better looking. Completely random being there! There is a hole in the top, maybe you can stick a football or basketball on there after confiscating it from some annoying kid! On the ground you have drains and what appears to be spotlights.
    new-cornhill-regeneration-photos-1.png
    There will be 99 of those green slabs, I don't get it. What is the point of it all? To have to walk from one material surface to the next in the wet or snow doesn't seem a good idea. These monoliths look more square from this angle. It doesn't look good. The white blocks are just small paving diagonal, it isn't that previous radial pattern. Water fountains visible in the background... what is the point of it all!?
    new-cornhill-regeneration-photos-2.png The other recent image... bad quality. Don't forget you will go from the tired old dark block-paving of Tavern Street, onto this white block paving, see the green sticking out like a sore thumb and then keep walking up you are back onto the old block-paving in Westgate Street.
    new-cornhill-regeneration-photos-3.png
    This green slabs don't compliment the Town Hall, the Old Post Office building, Lloyds or Grimwades. The rough nature of the monoliths, the patterns from the 4 themes on the Old Post Office building and what I assume is golden inset writing (or similar) just doesn't fit in... not even with the green slabs.

Comparison

new-cornhill-regeneration-compare-1.png
    As mentioned above - please excuse the quick mock ups and the recent blurry photos... all what was provided publicly - the "not bad" and I assume time consuming layout has some appeal to some people, however, the actual latest one is more block paving but in white and laid diagonally.
    new-cornhill-regeneration-compare-2.png
    For some reason I hate the newer design more. The old was boring and in this sense mimicked a war memorial slightly in bad taste. It still matches the nasty green slabs... the new one, has some artistic merits but doesn't fit in with the green slabs, I don't understand the top hole thing (if you want light then don't have the top part at all) and confused a little by the drains as the water fountains are shown nowhere near them... being a hill it should flow down into where the fountains are!

Sorry, just a rather lame click-bait title... these weren't leaked, just a document as part of the contractor appointment E-17-56. To be selected this week... and there is a problem (another post coming shortly!)

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

This stuff I assume to be approved under planning conditions? For which there could be consultation to interrested parties.

4. OP
    OP
    dan5

Update:-
    • Cost revised from £3.2m to £3.6m
    • Maintenance budget of up to £37,000 each year
    • Anticipated project life of just 10 years
    • Radial pattern replaced with diagonal white blocks and monolith designs completed changed
    • Princes Street (side of Town Hall) likely to be removed from the project
    • Water Feature (fountains) likely to be removed from the project
    Cornhill Regeneration scheme rockets to £3.6m after cost saving changes

5. OP
    OP
    dan5

I would assume they needed revised planning consent but it is a council application and they pretty much do how they please. There cannot really be any confidence in the council when they refuse a second consultation, present a certain plan for a planning application and approve it despite public uproar, have quite a different design plan they are actually going for, and could you believe it are now planning to remove elements from the scheme?!

Upper Orwell Crossings will be absolutely no different. It is a disgrace.

6. martinc

martincFounder Member

And what chance they meet the deadlines as noted in the docs. Never have anywhere else, if I were the university I would be making plans for graduation ceremonies elsewhere in 2018. How about Norwich, the cathedral would be lovely...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

This is the thing... IBC still needs to get the remainder of the £3.6m (so £200,000) from another partner in the project (is it an instant bank transfer or requires a scheduled meeting?!), it will then need to open dialogue with the chosen contractor to negotiate, and it also looks like they might need planning consent. This could potentially delay the project by up to 3 months.

Not sure with the Uni of Suffolk (anything can happen! or not, as the case might be) but most would be looking for alternatives. Why don't they have it on site at the Ipswich Waterfront?! The whole area was promoted effectively to launch the university... they don't need to be in the town centre!

It would be a big statement if they went to another town or city... why not? I doubt many of these graduates will be remaining in Ipswich!

• martinc

martincFounder Member

I've attended 3 graduations. They are grand affairs, akin to weddings in the level of dressing up and general poshness and ceremony. You go for somewhere grand to have them, one of those i attended was in a cathedral, the others in places of equal status. Ipswich town hall, well, its best we have a guess, I assume ceremony is in grand hall of Corn Exchange, as needs a lot of space for all the grads and the admiring families. Where else have we got? Bury Cathedral would be a good venue, I bet they've thought about it, do we not have a Suffolk Uni campus there as well? You read it here first, the ultimate Ipswich snub, Uni graduations move to Bury St Eds..

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Are you saying the Ipswich Waterfront isn't grand enough? :tearsofjoy: I agree lol :sweatsmile:

If it isn't good enough for some graduates then it isn't good enough for the town (i.e. the title/slogan)

Although I would probably be guilty of creating said article... it is the University of Suffolk, so why not have it held in Bury St Edmunds? The cathedral would be ideal. We should remember that most students are based at colleges in BSE, Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth... and not in Ipswich. So there isn't such a need for it to be in the county town.

It was SCC that deliberately ensured Ipswich didn't have a proper uni campus and for it to be distributed between the old East Suffolk, West Suffolk and Ipswich areas. (Not sure why we have a college in Great Yarmouth - I guess they had vacant space!) I would have preferred a proper uni campus in Ipswich with a long term plan, such as establishing a similar campus in Bury St Edmunds in 10 years time after the Ipswich one has grown and established on its own feet.

2018... so Corn Exchange... and Giles Circus it is then! :grinning:

• martinc

martincFounder Member

Mark Murphy going big on this on radio this morning. Is this now in the Star or did he get his info from here?

And again no one has a good word to say for the scheme.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Just heard the first few minutes of the show... and yeah sounds like it was from IPSWI lol

I was slow to pick up on this information myself... BBC Radio Suffolk could have more influence but their job is just to vent people... they should be putting an end to this silly scheme!

• OP
      OP
      dan5

• martinc

martincFounder Member

So between the newish paving in Princes St, Giles Circus and the New paving on Cornhill we are going to keep a section of old paving. LOL>..
      Mind you the manhole cover near to Grandma with all the smashed paving still hasn't been repaired, despite reporting it, so the Giles area is now not much better than the older bit.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • OP
        OP
        dan5

Yes, it appears to be the case. The whole idea of this Cornhill Regeneration is to persuade the busy heart-of-the-town-centre footfall to go down to the waterfront. Scrapping the Princes Street part isn't really compatible with it. Now here is the tricky part... they could achieve this by removing the water feature and monoliths/arches... but no "WOW factor" and a lot of money wasted...

I still think they should have done a regeneration project for Arras Square, then perhaps someone like Next would have taken the BHS unit... (even if they split it into 2 or 3 sharing the BHS unit). As we know Buttermarket Centre is quite popular for parking despite being far from the cheapest (people are lazy) and with it becoming a small leisure destination with the cinema etc., the restaurants for something to eat and then being a relatively short walk to potentially Next (nothing saying they really want to be in Ipswich), Sailmakers and so forth, everything is practically no more than a 10 minute stroll away.

Of some irony, Ipswich Central CEO & former Call Connection CEO Paul Clement was involved with the Ipswich Market setup and advertising shortly after it moved back to the Cornhill, when it was Ipswich Partnership. Suggestions of a bandstand, a monthly farmers market, a French-style market, and a craft market, never made it. Not sure about the marketing side of it either. In some circles people are awarded for continuous failure... or being inadequate... the market was running better back then through a third party, however, how on earth he transitioned from managing a market to the entire town centre is absurd lol

More like this

Title
      RepliesViews
      Last Message
      1. dan5

What will the Upper Orwell Crossings actually look like?

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsCornhill RegenerationJan 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM with 4 replies and 56 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Town Centre Footfall

by dan5 in Cornhill RegenerationCornhill RegenerationJan 22, 2018 at 7:15 PM with 1 replies and 39 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Buses subsidy by owner Ipswich Borough Council

by dan5 in Local PoliticsCornhill RegenerationJan 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM with 2 replies and 73 views.

4. dan5

Junction improvements on Foxhall Road and Heath Road Ipswich

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockCornhill RegenerationJan 15, 2018 with 2 replies and 71 views.

5. dan5

2018 Ipswich Traffic Nightmare

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockCornhill RegenerationDec 17, 2017 with 6 replies and 309 views.

6. dan5

Ipswich roundabout works to overlap?

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockCornhill RegenerationDec 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 167 views.

7. dan5

The Hold Project Update

by dan5 in Local PoliticsCornhill RegenerationDec 12, 2017 with 2 replies and 54 views.

8. dan5

Pret Purge

by dan5 in Local PoliticsCornhill RegenerationJan 8, 2018 with 2 replies and 104 views.

9. dan5

Would the Upper Orwell Crossings have helped with the recent bridge closure?

by dan5 in Upper Orwell CrossingsCornhill RegenerationJan 4, 2018 with 2 replies and 69 views.

10. dan5

Sick Joke: Central Suffolk MP Dr Dan Poulter off ill

by dan5 in Local PoliticsCornhill RegenerationNov 30, 2017 with 4 replies and 191 views.