JD Sports: Tessuti designer clothing coming to old Next unit

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Sep 26, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Ipswich Society reports that Tessuti is coming to Ipswich in the former Next unit.

JDSports-Tessuti-1985.jpg
    Not only do they have big posters up which coincidentally reflect top-end brand "burger king", they have misspelt (excuse the pun) recruiting as "recuiting".

So who is Tessuti? I have never heard of them. Founded in 1985, it is Italian for "textiles" and part of JD Sports.

In my opinion, a very speculative effort by JD Sports to trial an expensive clothing retailer by taking a competitor's unit and closely located next to Mark & Spencer.

I have to ask why they chose Ipswich instead of Norwich, Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds or Colchester... but no doubt they are testing the water and will simply reestablish their store somewhere better... but the truth happens to be Ipswich has very few top-end competing retailers in the town... we have no Next and Coes isn't in the town centre either.

Facebook brings out a lot of the typical "sold people"... I doubt anyone have heard of the brand but most are really happy "Tessuti" is opening in Ipswich (I suppose as it isn't Primark or Pep&Co). Bottom line is it is better than an empty unit! I cannot see it lasting much longer term, they are obviously seeing if they can make that store work by bringing in the people before head-to-head with other brands. This is clearly a step up from Next and it is ironic that a fast food place is opposite.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. martinc

martincFounder Member

its taken a long while but they have now corrected the spelling mistake on the posters I noticed yesterday..

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Seriously? WOW :D I am surprised they are still recruiting for staff.

And this place isn't open yet? They would want to make sure they can open for when late night shopping... (whenever that is! I assume in 2-3 weeks time...)

I wonder how sophisticated this place will be, no doubt it will be staffed by fresh out-of-school (lowest minimum wage) to boost profits or will it be more sales orientated?

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront Modern Aluminium Sphere Bauble Tree

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCentral IpswichNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 53 views.

2. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJul 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 103 views.

3. dan5

Star Lane phantom roadworks

by dan5 in Star Lane GyratoryCentral IpswichNov 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM with 8 replies and 46 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationCentral IpswichOct 19, 2017 with 15 replies and 114 views.

5. dan5

How to save the Cornhill in Ipswich?

by dan5 in CornhillCentral IpswichNov 13, 2017 with 4 replies and 62 views.

6. dan5

Ipswich: A-Board Heaven

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichNov 8, 2017 with 4 replies and 74 views.

7. dan5

Why won't Adnams open a shop in Ipswich?

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 53 views.

8. martinc

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by martinc in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 3 replies and 44 views.

9. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 35 replies and 274 views.

10. dan5

Landseer Road / Nacton Road Traffic Lights consultation

by dan5 in Nacton RoadCentral IpswichNov 7, 2017 with 5 replies and 79 views.