Ipswich Top 10 Easter Coach Destination

Discussion in 'Tourism' started by dan5, Mar 3, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

From Ipswich Star:

Ipswich makes it to the top ten most popular towns to visit at Easter
    The coach operator’s advanced bookings show Ipswich to be the eighth most popular town to visit by coach in terms of passenger numbers this Easter with thousands expecting to visit.

With attractions such as Christchurch Park, Ipswich Transport Museum, Suffolk Ski Centre, and Sailmakers Shopping Centre, to keep everyone entertained, it’s clear to see why it’s made the list.

National Express managing director, Chris Hardy, said: “Ipswich is a superb town to visit with so much to see and do, so it’s great to see it being so popular with tourists and families who are travelling by coach this Easter.”

Ipswich was previously the Top 6 town for half-term, makes you wonder if Ipswich Central isn't buying up cheap coach tickets to boost numbers... Sailmakers being on the list surely a joke to get comments?

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincMember

Meaningless codswallop. Lets add in car and train trips to  Ipswich over Easter and where on the list is Ipswich then?  I have no idea who travels by coach these days, but I am guessing its not the more affluent amongst us. Perhaps rather than giving us this meaningless statistic they could tell us exactly how many people this represents, how long they stay for, why they really come, and how much they spend in the local economy while they are here!  I imagine those figures would put this all in to perspective....

4. OP
    OP
    dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

You have to love their "journalism"...

"The coach operator’s advanced bookings show Ipswich to be the eighth most popular town to visit by coach in terms of passenger numbers this Easter with thousands expecting to visit."

a) to be, thus fact, it is proven (despite simply advanced: for a time period in the future)
    b) expecting, uncertainty...

As for car and train trips... without a doubt a large number of people move about, just the number of "tourists" must be a small amount. Even day visitors, Ipswich seems to be getting less tourists than we ever used to... I rarely see anyone walk around with a camera taking pictures of churches and historical buildings, get asked for directions, see anyone look at those expensive wayfinder direction boards with maps (or the "welcome to Ipswich" notice boards) or give off the distinct impression they aren't local.

What I can say is, the Heritage Weekend (Heritage Open Days) does attract quite considerable numbers from outside Ipswich with the visitors being very open with where they are from and friendly engaging in conversations with locals etc. ...and when I have looked there isn't a hotel in the town that is ever fully booked.