Ipswich Star Ipswich Station Up For National Award After A Transformational Year

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Aug 16, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

Ipswich railway station has been nominated for a prestigious award as we near the end of a year when it has been transformed by a £2m facelift.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Nice, Starbucks, Greggs, WH Smith...

insideipswichstation.jpg
    I was so disappointed the first time I went that in protest I went to the other coffee place on the railway island site... and was equally disappointed.

This is just procedure... anything that gets an upgrade gets nominated. You can effectively buy these pointless accolades if you spend enough, Ipswich Borough Council take note...

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

well they won't get an award for the drop off and pick up parking now, its absolutely bloody terrible.! I used it for the first time (since its all been complete) a couple of weeks ago to collect someone Friday evening. There were cars everywhere, as no where no enough spaces, and most of them seem to now be blue badge holder slots, which is what I had to park in as no choice. As its not a through route like the last area its then chaos getting in and out, and its hard to then turn around in the car park to get out again as you are trying to reverse around other people are coming on as well as pedestrians. its actually dangerous!. I was early to meet the train so I did at least get into the car park, albeit into a slot i shouldn't have been in, but others were on the roads and all over. Its a total fail in my opinion.. What was I supposed to do? Should I have kept driving around the block, as nowhere else to stop legally and my daughter was expecting me at the station, not half a mile away somewhere. I really don't see why its got so many dedicated disabled spaces. Go have a look, it's comical. And all the rest of the while the bus part and I think even the taxi bit seemed more or less empty... If the idea is to discourage people from using their cars to do a drop off or pick up its probably worked with me. It wasnt brilliant before the changes but at least it sort of flowed.. Perhaps a free shuttle bus from the station to somewhere else would be a better idea than providing that for a few privileged council workers..

5. dan5

I haven't been to the station frequently since the road has been blocked off. I take it you mean to the right of the station (and not to the left near the multi-storey car park, 20 minute drop off zone)? Where the NCP car park is with the left turn only into Ranelagh Road... is that not accessible?

You hit the nail on the head, it is another council anti-car policy. The buses stopping at the station has decreased over the years... despite it being the main feature now. They even compromised on the taxi bay. Disabled parking bays brings in opportunity for income and locks most people out in the meanwhile. If it is just a drop off and someone has a blue badge, why not use the bus part... it is long enough. The previous station layout had drop-off right outside the door.

It is ridiculous... the person (or people) dropped off are to use public transport (i.e. the train). Doesn't this encourage people not to use any form of public transport at all? They have even reduced various train capacities by allowing space for bicycles... surely a backwards step?

They cannot run a free shuttle from the station (brilliant idea) as it undermines their bus company. Well the borough, it was a Suffolk Highways (SCC) project. They have an income from passengers and "PlusBus" rail ticket addon. I think it would be a good and cheap boost to the town centre to have a free shuttle from the railway station. Could also link it to the waterfront on the way back to the rail station... Yes, no one believes in the waterfront that much.

6. martinc

martincFounder Member

I do mean the bit on the left, in front of the multi storey. maybe I missed another more usable bit to the right then, I never went that far. Whats up there, can you even get to it with the roadworks still there? It used to have some season ticket spaces over to the right, which at quiet times were actually a very good place to wait for pickups I used to find..
    On the wonderful images for the proposals the drop of bit was always in front of the multistorey, and the right hand bit never showed up..

7. dan5

Ah right. This is what I was confused at as I thought the area was shut off. If there was access at the time you went and it has vertical parking bays instead of horizontal... then it is likely people were parking in them. I am surprised they didn't use this area for moving the bus stop up - away from the hill and creepy crawlies. Perhaps rerouting the path into the forecourt site... always was silly having to walk back on yourself when the destination is a major transport hub.. the train station!

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. It wasn't clear and the multi-storey 20 minute drop off area isn't fit for purpose either. I doubt you would have had much success at this other one if it was available.

We are the county town of Suffolk, a main stop on the mainline, plus terminus of various regional services, we have a population of over 133,000 people... the drop off facilities are nowhere near adequate. They are also deliberately far away as possible to the train station (they used to be between outside the door and in the middle of the forecourt).

Could you imagine coming from Cambridge to view the Connexions 159 office block in Princes Street by train and seeing the state of the brand new forecourt?!

cambridgerailstationstationoftheyeargreateranglia.png

Greater Anglia seems to suggest Cambridge has the award in the bag.

I couldn't find any news of similar for Ipswich's nomination.

8. dan5

Correction: Actually, Ipswich gets a mention further down the news article...

Ipswich is currently one of the less busy stations for its category. Not one of the big destinations with large passenger flows this is why our promotional fares aren't as good as Cambridge and Norwich. At the way things are going our passenger numbers will be falling further (or perhaps levelling out with population increases).

9. martinc

martincFounder Member

we need a proper plan of the works, did you ever find one other than that useless image they put out? On the right of the station all you can see is a kerb line with double yellow lines, what's that? And the 20 minute drop off area in front of the car park, is all on one level, its two rows of space, on the image it doesnt look like there's room for anything does it..

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich hits back at claims parking is costly for Christmas shopping

by dan5 in Ipswich Borough CouncilIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM with 1 replies and 5 views.

2. dan5

Green light expected for new business park at Ipswich sugar beet site at Sproughton

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

3. dan5

Do you remember when Virgin mogul Richard Branson came to town in 1998?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

4. dan5

Drum and Monkey pub in Ipswich set to come down early next year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM with 1 replies and 7 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk brewers Adnams stirs up Ipswich fans by praising “Mighty Norwich City”

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM with 3 replies and 13 views.

6. dan5

Word on the Street: What did you think of the Ipswich Christmas lights switch-on?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

7. dan5

Ipswich Icons: The Ipswich Society

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM with 1 replies and 14 views.

8. dan5

Reports of up to 10 vehicles involved in crash on Orwell Bridge westbound

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road in Ipswich to CLOSE at Norwich Road junction this evening over concerns...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM with 1 replies and 21 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM with 1 replies and 12 views.