Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

Discussion in 'Railway Station' started by dan5, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Ipswich Society 2017 Awards has nominated Ipswich Train Station (Ipswich Rail Station) forecourt.

Other places nominated include:-
    • ABP Cliff Bulk Terminal
    • Ipswich Audi (Futura Park)
    • Starbucks West End Road
    • Foxhall Road flats
    • Jaguar Land Rover (Futura Park)
    • London Road flats
    • Marston Inn, Yarmouth Road
    • Old Bell Inn
    • Archant Suffolk (Portman House)
    • Queen Street paving
    • St Edmunds road
    • Whitehouse Community Primary School
    • Steam Packet Inn
    • "The Gates"
    Briefly, I think Audi has it in the bag. Would be disappointed for a Queen Street or Ipswich Station forecourt win.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. martinc

martincFounder Member

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

ok looked through the photos now, someone is having a laugh with some of those nominations!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

I don't understand what these awards are about..

Take Archant's Portman House, which (from memory if I am not mistaken) used to be a tobacco warehouse. The only recent additions to the external building is the Archant branded clockface? Perhaps they changed the windows. I know they ripped pretty much all the rooms out from what used to be CSV Media and made it open plan.

Old Bell Inn... very sad set of affairs. Arguably the oldest pub in Ipswich, now a funeral directors. It looks quite nice inside, they did a good job. I am not going to accept excuses for the change of use, but really the pub was doomed after they remodelled the roads around there, plus the nearby housing isn't really going to attract pub-going tenants when they can stock up on multi-pack cheap cans of lager from Asda.

The residential are various different forms of architecture (or should I say designs) - and to be fair they aren't as bad as many of the high-rise apartment blocks etc. - but not worthy of an award.

You then have Starbucks which has a style about it I suppose.

Marston Inn... you know they are desperate for entries when this gets a mention. Nothing shouts "budget hotel" than a no-thrills budget hotel built on a budget.

This said, two noticeable entries... aren't buildings. The forecourt and Queen Street paving.

The way I look at it is any "worthy of an award" building or area must be one the town would be happy to include in a tourism brochure (if we had one!) This would eliminate the residential ones immediately (only old timer frame buildings - perhaps restored to be eligible - would be suitable for inclusion) and also a local Starbuck franchise hut. I think the two car showrooms are the best architecturally but then again, would you stick either in a tourism brochure?

• martinc

martincFounder Member

when i get a mo I'll post up my full predictions, Bell Inn will get a top award, so possibly will Queens St, or at least a second place. The garages may get a third place cert each...

The Marstons photo are of the hotel not the pub. The pub is a really awful bland building, a bit like 1060s council house design the hotel is not a great deal better. i assume the nomination is for the hotel.

Archant will get something, if only to keep them sweet and not risk the Societies weekly page,

Steam Packet Inn, thats quite a nice restoration, Ips Soc love those.

So far as I recall any society member can nominate a building. All nominated go on the short list, there is no preselection for that, so I can only assume someone nominated the bulk terminal building as a bit of a joke!

Foxhall Road flats, actually one unit is a house, but still really! worthy of an award? I dont think so, perfectly reasonably domestic building filling a small plot and maximising the floor area with the rather ungainly second floor, nothing at all of merit though.

I will go along, if only to hear the comments as they are usually quite cutting about the ones they dont like, could be amusing..

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Apologies for the confusion, they call the hotel "Marston Inn" and the pub bit is called "The Mermaid". I am sure they deliberately chose such a name to encourage usage of both.

I might pop along, but I hope they don't ask members for their opinions... :D So (as a new corporate member) is there any other categories for the awards, or is it just buildings?

• martinc

martincFounder Member

• OP
      OP
      dan5

• OP
      OP
      dan5

So, 3 of the 4 residential nominations are guaranteed a certificate?

Actually, under 2 headings there are 6 available for each...

I might give my ratings as per that schedule! :D

• OP
      OP
      dan5

• martinc

martincFounder Member

And the winners are, each receiving a certificate of commendation;
      • Old Bell Inn
      • St Edmunds road
      • Whitehouse Community Primary School
      • "The Gates"

• OP
      OP
      dan5

• martinc

martincFounder Member

• OP
      OP
      dan5

I couldn't find anything online (facebook, Ipswich Society website etc) listing the full list of awards.

Apart from Old Bell Inn, these are a strange selection of winners...

• martinc

martincFounder Member

SCC have a bit on their website patting themselves on the back for the school win. I imagine Ips Soc will get something online or in the Star at some point, or maybe not as they didn't give Archant anything for their building, altough they were very honest about it in the presentation more or less saying the works amounted to a modest sign and a new clock!

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Yeah, they removed the old partitions for more open plan workspace, added a sign and a clock.

It appears it is true about the Willis Building.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront Modern Aluminium Sphere Bauble Tree

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontRailway StationNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 53 views.

2. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Central IpswichRailway StationJul 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 103 views.

3. dan5

Star Lane phantom roadworks

by dan5 in Star Lane GyratoryRailway StationNov 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM with 8 replies and 46 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationRailway StationOct 19, 2017 with 15 replies and 114 views.

5. dan5

How to save the Cornhill in Ipswich?

by dan5 in CornhillRailway StationNov 13, 2017 with 4 replies and 62 views.

6. dan5

Ipswich: A-Board Heaven

by dan5 in Town CentreRailway StationNov 8, 2017 with 4 replies and 74 views.

7. dan5

Why won't Adnams open a shop in Ipswich?

by dan5 in Town CentreRailway StationNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 53 views.

8. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichRailway StationSep 8, 2017 with 35 replies and 274 views.

9. dan5

Ipswich Homelessness Crisis

by dan5 in Town CentreRailway StationOct 26, 2017 with 6 replies and 72 views.

10. dan5

Cornhill Pret Ipswich will heavily impact independent traders

by dan5 in CornhillRailway StationOct 31, 2017 with 3 replies and 56 views.