Ipswich: shabby and rundown cesspit hell hole

Discussion in 'Tourism' started by Ipswi, Apr 25, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. Ipswi

IpswiGuest

Just over 5 years ago Ipswich callers phoned up a BBC Radio Suffolk breakfast show presented by current Ipswich Central chairman Terry Baxter to give their views on the town. Ben Gummer MP was shocked and angered over people commented on how "shabby and rundown" the town is with others going to extremes calling it a "cesspit" and "hell hole". Naturally the politicians didn't listen to the concerns and discarded comments as from a few negative anarchists. It wasn't until ex-M&S boss Stewart Rose visited a year later when they listened and knew something needed to be done. This has created a culture of a gravy train for consultancy and lining the pockets of a select few, with little to show for the town.

Ipswich Cesspit Hell hole shabby and rundown

Despite a big effort by Nigel Pickover, the Norwich-owned paper has allowed extremely negative comments...58 in total to be displayed to damage Ipswich's name. It gives a good insight into what people really think... sadly no one was listened to and even in 2017 Ben Gummer is still kicking people he deems negative when outsiders are creaming off their taxes and running the town badly and deeply into the ground. The comments will follow this first post.

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    Ipswi

IpswiGuest

Those who criticise Ipswich are missing its finer features. It's a shopper's paradise if your taste is for pound-shops. And whilst in the town centre, pause awhile to admire the quality of chipboard used to board up those premises awaiting tenants. Stop to chat with the street-drinking fraternity gathered outside the old Odeon building, itself an architectural gem, and perhaps share a can or two of Special Brew. Stroll along Upper Orwell Street and marvel that it once supported dozens of thriving businesses. Wander down to the Waterfront to spend a while imagining what the Winerack might have been, had the developer not run out of money. If your tour has given you an appetite for fine dining, Ipswich has no shortage of kebab and other fast-food establishments to satisfy the most discerning of gourmets. The town has abundant night-life, although a stab-proof vest would be a wise choice of attire. And when it comes to bedding down for the night, don't forget the old Peter's Ice Cream factory, where interesting and characterful accommodation awaits you!

~
    THE WATERFRONT MIGHT LOOK NICE TO SOME PEOPLE , BUT THE ROAD BEHIND IT IS DIRTY , THE BUILDING WITH THE SCHAFFOLDING ROUND IT NEEDS TO BE SORTED OUT , ITS BEEN LIKE THAT NOW FOR AT LEAST 3-4 YEARS, WHO EVER OWNS IT DO SOMETHING WITH IT ,OR FLATTEN IT AND GET THAT DAM SCHAFFOLDING OUT OF THE ROAD

~
    I dont thionk Ipswich is a hellhole, however it compare badly against other East Anglian TownsCities. My view is that this is the league table of attractiveness Norwich Cambridge Bury St Edmunds Colchester Chelmsford Peterborough Ipswich.

~
    And I bet alot of the critics are middle class and living in one of the many pretty little villages on the outskirts, who mistakenly believe crime only happens in Ipswich and not their home villages!

~
    People need top come up with realistic solutions to the problems. lots of people say "not enough shops"... fair enough... then you should open a shop as there is clearly the demand. Poor" night-life"? then you should open a bar, club or restaurant. We hear these comments time & again on here so why don't the people of Ipswich (that means you reading this) open one. The only reason shops disappear is because people who live here stop using them. The problems of Ipswich will only be fixed by the people of Ipswich, no one is going to swoop in and save you, if you want things to change you must change it.

~
    I HAVE COMMENTED MANY TIMES ABOUT THIS SUBJECT BUT BECAUSE OF YOUR LIBERAL LEFT THINKING YOU JUST IGNORE ANYTHING ELSE ie THE MAJ ORITY OF THE PUBLIC, THERE IS A PROBLEM AND IT NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH.

~
    I moved to Ipswich 9 years ago from London & I loved the town back then, I used to like hearing colloquial accents & loved shopping in the centre of town as it was spotlessly clean, friendly & had so much variety. Sadly all you see now is closed,boarded up shops on nearly every street, with major stores like Woolies & the Co Op now gone, litter everywhere! It is more expensive to park in Ipswich than Central London & the buses are too expensive & woefully unreliable. Sorry but I agree with the people who have said negative things about the town.

~

David Cameron and the rest, have got to understand that a fundamental change has taken place. The tide is turning In the 45 years that I have been allowed to vote, the electorate have swallowed one lot of social engineering, repeated lies, industrial decline, asset stripping and sell off. Excuses for all of this by first Labour and then Conservative have become quite unbelievable. we can't afford it any more and neither can UK PLC. I will not see my children stripped of their country, identity, countryside, culture and accommodation without a fight, to placate either Labour or Conservative gerrymandering with democracy and project multiculturalism the sober truth for the LabLibCon, they have failed to defend my interests but compromised them. They have given succour, money and political support to my cultural, religious and racial enemies. I don't live in London and I haven't had my outrage dulled by the offencive sight of mass immigration I regret to say I am utterly immune to project "self loathing" and "self doubt". I would like a renaissance of English and British learning and achievement without the cultural drag and financial strain of illiterate, industrially useless immigrants, skilled at terrorism and claiming benefits, drug dealing and tax evasion. that's why our town just like most towns and cities through out England are in a dreadful mess

~
    I came to Ipswich in 1975 following the destruction of its mediaeval heritage in favour of Greyfriars and the Civic Centre complex.and the many modern buildings strewn around town. The dock area was a mess with unsightly buildings but thriving as employment centres. The transformation in the docks is a credit to good planning and, other than parking,is a joy to visit. The parks and numeous recreation grounds are,unique to town of its size. The museum in high street is one of the premier provincial museums in the UK with the finest mask collection recognised by the Museum of mankind in New York together with other ethnographic artefacts. Many towns and cities have their stately homes in park land but many not as fortunate as Ipswich's Christchurch, Chantry etc. It is served better than most towns with leisure and sports facilities and a premier (not currently leaguewise?) Football club with a tradition especially for producing England managers and a giant of the game my good friend the late Sir Bobby. The town IS a little tired at present an needs civic leadership to support Nigel Pickup's valiant call to create a renaissance in this great town to emulate those Ipswichians that created the town square, the main library building, the ancient house, the multitude of churches throughout the town,northgatestreet etc etc. Dickens was reputed to ave stayed at The Great White Horse so that he must have been attracted to the town. I am welsh but have lived in this great town for 35 wonderful years. It is in need of help and support not knocking - do we ever hear Norwich residents knocking their city? IPSWICH NEEDS AN INDIVIDUAL WITH BACKING TO TURN IT AROUND AND TO CAPITALISE ON ITS GREAT ASSETS. KEEP UP THE CONCERNS AS CONSTUCTIVE CRITISISM BUT SUPPORT THIS GREAT TOWN WITH EVERY OPPORTUNITY THAT ARISES.

~
    I lived in Colchester all my life before moving to Ipswich 8 years ago, A move I'm starting to regret, I live near the last stabbings and it was frightening having this on your door step, We've had many problems over the years, fighting, joyriders and fire outside ours, and we live in a good area as well, Only last week a 84 year old man had a live firework thrown at him by children whilst walking his dog at a local park. This isn't great is it, Now the street lights are off making it feel unsafe after 12am. I'm planning on moving away as I can't stand the place anymore.

~
    I would like to kindly remind those people that dislike Ipswich that there are many other alternative places to live in this wonderful green and sunny country of ours! I would also like to take this opportunity to say that I love Ipswich. I have lived here for 27 years of my life and I am now 32. I couldn’t think of any other place I would like to live. Yes there are a few places that need a bit of a scrub up, some buildings that need to be demolished ( some of the old water front buildings ) and some newer buildings needed but apart from that everything is wonderful!

~
    MPs and editors of minority local papers may be accused of a lot of things...living in the real world has never been one of them!!! Lived here now for 30 of my 50 years, Ipswich used to be a good place to live with low crime rates, but as Evening star and EADT headlines show, it is now a crime ridden run down town...note Town....it doesn't even have the excuse of having inner city areas!

~
    Christchurch Park during the day is beautiful, but the rest of Ipswich is shocking. Parking, Cardinal Park a prime example, is overpriced and un organised, entertainment, one cinema, one football club, and a few run down overpriced clubs, and crime up because the police are limited to numbers, and half of the town dont care. Hospital is run down,and if we were planning a nice evening out, Ipswich i'm afraid to say wouldn't make the top 100 places in Suffolk. I hate to say it, because i have lived here all my life, but the planning, and the prices has made the town centre unbearable, and some of the people that have moved here have made the place unsafe, and dirty. The council are a joke, paying over the odds for people who could not run a drunken night out in a brewery. Hate feeling this way, but with all the recent stories of attacks and vandalism it really doesnt help Ipswich at all.

~
    'Rhi Mc' I love you! Thank you! Brilliantly put. i was in ipswich a few weeks ago on a night out and the so called no go violent streets of the nightime economy were nothing of the sort it was friendly fun and safe. And u r right some peolle just choose to obsess on the negatives walking around counting everu closed shop or poundland and ingoring any new shops. waitrose coming soon anyone? John lewis at home? Fat face? White stuff? Office? Bothered to pay attention to any of these?

~
    May Day, If you dont like Ipswich then move out, every where has its problems and I bet you will find problems where ever you go! I love living here, there is always a few that make it bad for the rest.

~
    Mr Gummer please read what residents have said about ipswich in this report,i suggest you have ride around ipswich,park your car in town,look at thr closed shops,the litter, then go back to your car and see how mich you have been charged for a couple of hours. Ipswich borough council has milked motorists residents council tax without any investment in town.

~
    So; 1) "The Evening Star launched the I Love Ipswich campaign earlier this year, aiming to champion all that is great about Suffolk’s county town." 2) "... listeners blasted Ipswich, with one branding the town a “hell hole”." Shows that intelligent people really take very little notice of our local papers' campaigns, even though those papers try to act like God. You won't change Ipswich by telling people to 'love it' but by getting the dross off the streets and into work.

~
    The biggest challenge Ipswich faces is changing the attitude of the people that live there to actually see the good in their town rather than dwelling on the negatives all the time. I feel sorry for Ipswich... it really deserves a break... it gets so much flack and yet its got some amazing qualities and features... I've taken people from other countries there and they have loved it... Why? Becuase as tourists they walk around and see only the good things, that makes them go wow. Which is what the people of ipswich do in colchester, bury etc... so the grass always looks greener. Yes there are problems in Ipswich, and yes they may be worse in some areas than other towns, but its incredibly naive to believe these problems are unique to ipswich. It's a lovely places with some great nightlife (yes really), restaurants, parks, museums, shopping is a bit lame but its not as awful as people like to make out.. there are lots of great new shops like office and white stuff which get overlooked in the endless rush to damn ipswich. At the end of the day you could take a tour down the seedy dirty drunken nasty side of any town and be unimpressed, i used to live in Guildford a very wealthy posh town. The nightlife was awful (and surprisingly rough!) and yes shock! Horror! There were street drunks everywhere in the town during the day hanging outside woolworths. This is what towns are like. It happens in Ipswich though and its the end of the world and suddenly it has to be branded a cess pit. I can remember growing up in Ipswich and there always seemed to be this mentality that "other towns have it better" it was always there... and the problem is the mentality has stuck (yes of course in some areas other towns are better) but that doesn't make Ipswich awful. Does the town centre need a makeover? Yes. Are things quite as disastrous as everyone is so keen to point out? No. UIltimately we need to start from the good in the town and make it better and only then can the bad improve too... So ok we get it, there are empty shops, drunks, knifings blah blah, but will going on about this acutally help? all it does is create a vicious cycle...

~
    Jason Pilbury - I don't live in Ipswich, but I have worked there on and off for many years. I would never choose to live there. Surely I am entitled to voice an opinion, without fear of such an emotive response?

~
    What an interesting set of intelligent comments ... when the local papers give local residents 'permission' to discuss matters which concern them. But the dark clouds of world financial chaos are upon us .... 2008 was nothing compared to what will happen soon .... and I dread to imagine what Ipswich will be like then.

~
    You only have to pop over to Colchester town center to see how run down and poor Ipswich looks now. Colchester not a single shop unit empty, town is full of shoppers, compared to Ipswich, ever other shop nearly empty, litter on floor. It's becomming an embarresment, the so called "Ipswich Central" group needs to take a long hard look at itself. I for one will not shop in Ipswich anymore, prefering to go to Colchester or Norwich.

~
    When stabbings, rapes and murders are an everyday occurence you have to wonder at the quality of life in Ipswich. There are pages and pages of crimes committed in the evening Star daily.

~
    england 1770 has picked up on one of the major problems - the fact that there are no independent shops to attract visitors. As someone who used to have a small independent shop in Ipswich I can tell you reason there are hardly any now is down to extortionate rents and rates, caused by greedy landlords and council. Our shop was in a prime position in the town centre but we closed back in 2006 as could no longer afford it. Our rent and rates were £40,000+ a year, utilitity costs and minimum staff wages pushed that up to £60,000+, and that's before we even bought any stock to sell! The commitment you have to take on before you even begin to get some money in is horrendous. Combine it with no incentive for shoppers to come into town because of high parking costs and loads of empty shops and you begin to see the problem. I hate to think what it costs now to take on premises.

~
    Ipswich is a hell hole unless you are lucky enough to live on one of the few decent estates, i grew up on the Rivers estate and it was a lovely safe area for me to do so. Emphasis on the word WAS. The problem with Ipswich is the same as everywhere else, overcrowding and lack of amenaties. Top that off with a government that likes to big up and overspend is specific areas and ignore the rest to the utter dismay of the humble Tax payer.

~
    I agree with Air Biscuit- people who have only lived here love to run it down, believing falsely that the grass is always greener or the other side... well I have lived elsewhere and am proud to say I was born and bred in Ipswich. That said, Ipswich does have serious problems currently, mainly the vast number of empty shops (Tower Ramparts is so deserted now). And I think the new proposed Civic Drive road changes are a huge mistake and will only make things worse. Although as a public transport user I welcome the real-time bus info side of things, which should have been done years and years ago.

~
    Maybe if our esteemed councillors simply asked their counterparts at St Edmundsbury, Colchester Borough and Norwich City councils what they have done to improve their towncity, and implement a few of their policies in Ipswich, this would be a start. Something needs to be done, maybe reducing business Rates to smaller enterprises in order to attract at least some independent shops may be a start. Unless something postive is implemented to attract businesses to the town, I feel Ipswich Town centre is doomed to become akin to Regent Street in Great Yarmouth. Has anyone asked businesses and independent shop owners why they don't or won't come to Ipswic?. I take the points made that many other towns face the same problems as Ipswich, but if Bury St Edmunds, can attract businesses and visitors to their town, then they are doing something right, and Ipswich need to learn what it is they are doing, and quickly.

~
    violence against the person crime figures per 100,000 Ipswich 25.9 Birmingham 17.9 Liverpool 16.3 Leeds 14.4 Newcastle 14.8 Bristol 25.8 National 14.8 http:www.upmystreet.comlocalcrime-in-ipswich.html

~
    Ipswich town centre has no leadership, or real say in these matters. As a local independent business owner we are MADE to pay a levy towards the running of Ipswich central which appears to be doing nothing in the promotion or defence of the businesses within the BID zone! Why have they not commented on this Cess pit drama? Ipswich has some wonderful areas for independent shops, bars and restaurants, think about Queen street all the way down St Nicholas and St Peters street. Thriving areas of business and commerce with only one or two empty properties. Yes the rates and rents have risen, but so too has the interest in the area, and more to do with the hard work of the owners and their staff than the council or local paper. One of Ipswich town centers safe and pleasant areas. Mr Bevan is right the town needs a leader, and it needs one now!

~
    BenGummer may own a house in Ipswich but he certainly doesn't live in Ipswich, I say this on the good ground that I live in the neighbourhood. Ipswich is indeed and very dirty, shabby little town which has progressively got worse over the recent years - fact!!

~
    A classic example of how he and his ilk are so far out of touch with the people he claims he represents. Ipswich born and bred but I chose to life outside the town. A plethora of empty shops, kebab houses and unsavoury characters hanging about, many doped or stoned out of their heads. The crime rates speak for themselves. It used to be a great town but has gone downhill in past 10-15 years. Saddens me to say this of my home town but Colchester, Bury, Norwich and Cambridge all much better places to live, work and shop than Ipswich.

~
    I understand how the town must appear to have declined over the years to those who have lived there for a long time, but really - at the risk of sounding like a Grumpy Old Woman, you don't know you're born! I was fortunate enough to live in Ipswich for 18 months. I'm now back in my native Glasgow, and believe me - I would move back to Ipswich in a heartbeat. I used to walk through the town centre regularly on a Saturday night with no trouble. I lived in Berners Street and all I experienced was the joy of living in a vibrant town, maybe a little shabby around the edges, but with bags of potential, and a real community spirit. Knife crime is not unique to Ipswich, and compared to many other places in the country, Ipswich is a very safe place to stay. Perhaps the town would be improved if all those who are so quick to criticise, got off their behinds and DID something active in the community. Ipswich has so much to be proud of, and it's a crying shame that people are so quick to pounce on the negative, whilst wilfully ignoring all the positives. Given the choice, I'd be back in living in Ipswich tomorrow.

~
    I'm not meant to say this - I would be an ex-PC by lunchtime if it got out - but I have to agree with every word of Peter Wright's posting. Mr Gummer's remarks show either a profound ignorance of the state of Ipswich and the concerns of its residents, or he has become part of the system that tells its citizens "Everything is fine. Trust us. You have nothing to worry about, just keep working, keep quiet and keep paying your taxes."

~
    Just a note based upon the lack of interest from IBC, the top 5 senior members earn approximately £700 k between them, WHY?

~
    A long long time ago I was taught the manufacturing was the basis of any economy! Where has our manufacturing gone? Crane, Compair, Manganese Bronze, Ransome & Rapier, etc all but disappeared. Forget Ipswich Central let's have the council, MP and Chamber of Commerce working to get industry back in this town. Then we might have less unemployed, more money to spend and therefore better shops. One thing is certain, the council need to start turning the tide very soon or all will be lost. Suffolk is a great place to live, it's just a shame that Ipswich is going downhill - fast.

~
    OK, enough about what a dump Ipswich has become. The facts speak for themselves. The issue we should really be worried about is that Mr Gummer immediately goes into denial when confronted with the truth! He can tell us what a lovely place the town is until he's blue in the face but I'd rather he went out and persuaded a few large manufacturers to locate their businesses here.

~
    Is the statement true from the editor of the star Nigel Pickover “We need to be very careful before criticising Ipswich because ours is a delightful town with a fabulous track record of harmony and well-being.” Mr pickover you are bias as you have a local paper to run, most of the people who comment here are not bias, so I suggest you stand in St Matthews street and listen to all the different eastern european Languages spoken and the increase in crime in that end of town alone. Now go to the other end of town say St Helens street and do the same, a different Languages may be and not the same level of crime but run down, I say it is. Andy

~
    People are entitled to criticize Ipswich. Equally, people are entitled to defend it. I notice that you're inviting letters from people who love Ipswich - contributions from others are presumably unwelcome...

~
    People are only stating the truth - Ipswich is shabby and run down, end of. People who have lived here all of their lives are echoing this fact , that to me shows people care. They care enough to say that the Town is a mess. IBC should be ashamed with some of it's recent planning decisions, rent rates and inability to see that they have got their vision wrong. Just encouraging people to Love Ipswich is not going to fix the problems, we don't need an economy based on pound shops, car washes and pop up car parks. We don't need to see street drinkers on almost every corner. We don't need to feel you can't walk through Town in the eveneing due to the chaotic night time economy. We need strong leadership and robust investment. This is the County Town of Suffolk, pity the Council don't see this.

~
    Why on earth is Mr. Gummer so sensitive about this? In my opinion, Ipswich is a dump, along with many other places. Are we not allowed to express our opinions any more?.

~
    i think its quite true to say that Ipswich is much nicer than other towns in the UK, and if people (dread the thought) actually left Suffolk they'd know that! I come from a small Derbyshire town called Long Eaton which now sports a high street FULL and i mean FULL of charity shops, to such an extent that one charity has 3 shops along the high street. The town was destroyed by two large supermarkets building megastores opposite one another and never recovered. Ipswich has its problems but guys…get a grip will ya. Muggings, shootings, car crime are all part of the course in Long Eaton its expected after a certain time of day….in Ipswich you’ve has 2 stabbings and you’re all going mental? I witnessed a driveby shooting in Nottingham, completely random…I’ll only start to refer to Ipswich as a hell hole the day I see a 4x4 spraying bullets along the waterfront. But Long Eaton has never had a serial killer…so you may have a case.

~
    I would consider myself an impartial observer having spent 6 years living near Ipswich following 30 years in other parts of the country. Sadly I would say that in a short space of time Ipswich (and East Suffolk generally) has gone down hill (and fast). When the whole "Chav" culture was picked up on, Ipswich was held up on many forums as a great example of a Chav town-which whilst harsh was increasingly accurate. The East "IP3" Ipswich Gangsta wannabe culture would be funny were not for the serious assaults and injuries it causes. Central Ipswich? The less said the better, why would you shop there when for the price of a few hours parking a train can taken to Norwich or a 20 minute drive to Colchester. It's a vicious circle many decent folk don't want the hassle so go elsewhere, the town therefore begins to cater for the lowlifes or Chavs. To Mr DJ you are right there are other places to live. I have taken my family to another part of the Country to settle in an area that feels very much like Suffolk used too when I used to visit as a youngster. No where is perfect, but Ipswich needs serious intervention to stop it becoming like Burnley or some other horrible town where no-one wants to live.

~
    It seems to be the done thing to dislike Ipswich. It's actually a lot nicer than many UK towns, nice parks, buildings the waterfront etc. I think the people that moan about it just haven't lived anywhere else so have nothing to compare it to.

~
    Ipswich has no self esteem. There is little pride in the town. Most inhabitants feel a shame and embarrassment about coming from the town and leave for elsewhere. Opportunities are scant. There is little cultural facility, diversity is feared, and arts and heritage kept static by unimaginative leadership. As for the waterfront, get a grip... the 'wine rack' is a symbol of failure and gloom presiding over the whole of the town like a spectre. It's the opposite of the Angel of the North. Ipswich is dwindling, decaying and decrepit, fast. IBC better get a grip and engage dynamically with communities to deliver solutions which work, rather than listen to speculative investors and far flung consultants. I could go on but it's depressing... I live here.

~
    Mr gummer Ipswich is a cesspit and getting deeper in it at that. Laws do not allow members of the public to say what they feel, and your dad was in parliament when these laws were passed. You have must have shallow depth of public life if you dont understand the anger the life long people of Ipswich. I believe you were born and schooled elsewhere so you are in no position to give any comment. Andy

~
    It's think it would be pretty fair to say that all those calling Ipswich a dump have never been to Harlow...

~
    I can call myself skinny and good looking until I'm blue in the face but that won't make it true. Wake up Mr Gummer. People say Ipswich is a cesspit because it is and it's your responsibility as our MP to fix it. Denial is not a solution and it certainly won't win you any votes at the next election. I suggest you spend a week living in the luxurious suburbs around Austin Street and then see what you think of Ipswich. And to the Evening Star..... if you want us to "Love" Ipswich perhaps you should take the lead? When was the last time you wrote something positive about how great Ipswich is?

~
    well done pc plod you couldnt , get nearer to the truth , AND ALL OF THESE COMMENTS CANT BE WRONG CAN THEY,,, IT IS A DAM MESS , NOW GET IT SORTED OUT I.B.C ...YOU PAY YOURSELVES ENOUGH IN SALARIES

~
    Ipswich town centre has no leadership, or real say in these matters. As a local independent business owner we are MADE to pay a levy towards the running of Ipswich central which appears to be doing nothing in the promotion or defence of the businesses within the BID zone! Why have they not commented on this Cess pit drama? Ipswich has some wonderful areas for independent shops, bars and restaurants, think about Queen street all the way down St Nicholas and St Peters street. Thriving areas of business and commerce with only one or two empty properties. Yes the rates and rents have risen, but so too has the interest in the area, and more to do with the hard work of the owners and their staff than the council or local paper. One of Ipswich town centers safe and pleasant areas. Mr Bevan is right the town needs a leader, and it needs one now!

~
    Unfortunately my glasses do not seem to have the rose coloured tint of those worn by Mr Gummer and Mr Pickover. I have lived in Ipswich for nearly 60 years and am saddened by its demise. Yes I am proud of the town but not of the condition it is now in. Mr Gummer is too young and Mr Pickover has only been here 16 or 17 years, so they do not know what the town was like and how it has gone downhill. I also wonder if they actually live inside the borough so that they can comment on living here 24 hours a day. I am not politically minded but I don't think the long period of Labour run local council did us much good and now someone else can change it we are still no better off. The concrete montrosities of the 60's and 70's and the failure to complete the inner ring road were the start of our woes. Failure to have a decent roadtransport strategy (other than no cars in the town centre) have not helped and our lack of ability to attract better shops means that the spiral seems to be forever downward. I must say that I often wonder what the board members of Ipswich Central and the board of Suffolk Chamber of Commerce do, whatever it is we certainly do get any positive action or value for money from them. Norwich, Bury, Cambridge, etc are now so far ahead of us it is going to take some blue sky thinking to catch up. Businesses are highly unlikely to invest in the town centre so let's set about encouraging them elsewhere. Get in the Ikea's and John Lewis's of the retail world, alright it might have to be on the outskirts but it least it will bring people, jobs and money into the town and may even help the centre improve.

~
    Ben Gummer lives in the worst crime ridden,filthy and anti social housing estates then does he ? I suggest he opens his eyes to the to the hell hole that is Ipswich now ! I love these M.P,s who think they know what is going on but really need to remove the mask thats shrouded their view !!

~
    Well that was a very provocative article.

~
    Thank goodness the lid is now off. This is the town I was raised in. I am appalled by the overall state it is in, as are most of us here. And in particular the so-called 'Waterfront' eyesore. What a shame that our civic 'leaders' cannot tell things as they really are - pretty dreadful.

~
    Randall Bevan is spot on. Regeneration of Ipswich is eminently possible, but it requires collaboration between many different organisations. Ipswich actually has a lot to offer, but the council is amazingly bad at marketing that to anyone who doesn't read the Ipswich Angle or the www.ipswich.gov.uk website.

~
    I too am Ipswich "born and bred", but you can't be blind to how the town has deteriorated in recent years. Ipswich's town centre is indeed shabby and unwelcoming to visitors, especially when compared to Norwich, Bury St Edmunds and Colchester. The Authorities need to look beyond the Waterfront when investing money into Ipswich, as whilst this area is impressive, it simply serves to highlight how run down many other parts of the town are, once you move a few metres away from the Waterfront. Maybe if more streets in the town looked like St Nicholas Street rather than Upper Orwell Street, opinions would improve from both vistors and residents?

~
    Some people on here need to get a grip. I do understand that Ipswich is not Shangri-La but peope are judging the town from what the town centre looks like and a couple of areas they don't like (wonder why). I have lived in Ipswich most of my adult life and I feel safe in all parts of the town at all times of the day or night, you have to be very unlucky to be an innocent victim of crime. I have never been a victim of any crime since I have lived in Ipswich. One of the worst things about living in Ipswich is the negative way the born and bred locals bad mouth Ipswich all the time. Lighten up and concentrate on the positive side of Ipswich life contrary to the messages on here Ipswich has an awful lot to be proud of, all you need to do is not be led by the local media and do some independent thinking.

~

~
    I am encouraged by later comments upon this subject in support of Ipswich. It is not Mr Gummer who holds the key to a renaissance but the Borough Councillor supported by the County, the Regional Tourist Board, Arts Council,chamber of commerce etc. and an individual with vision and determination to attract major investment. The amateurs running councils do not have the answer they need officers who can sell the town with no interference from the amateurs who un councils. I cannot see an improvement in the foreseeable future without this commitment and residents who lobby the borough to get their fingers out!!

~
    The issue here is not whether Ipswich is or isnt a dump nor that you feel Ipswich isisnt a dump. What is an issue is that Mr Gummer has chosen not to listen, not to appreciate the opinions of others but instead turn a blind eye to what others feel and believe. If you don't want opinions or to hear the views of others then don't ask - just look at the Evening Star website as an example of this - when they don't want you to comment they switch the function off! Mr Gummer if you don't agree with what people are saying or believe you, and you of ALL people, should be listening to them not chastising them and adding further insult.

4. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

I thought Ipswich was turning a corner but it seems we have fell back into the cesspit and hell hole of around the time of the recession fallout similar to around about the time of the serial murders. Plenty of positive spin but very little to show. Ben and Co are adamant of getting the wine rack completed this still leaves the remainder of the waterfront and the link incomplete.

The private sector investments of Sailmakers and Buttermarket are nothing to write home about.

5. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Even with the controversial Cornhill project, this won't improve the state of the rest of the town centre.

Unfortunately, none of the town's elite will listen to taxpayers and voters... it needs to be a well respected or well-known outsider to make a cheeky negative snide remark!