Ipswich Star Ipswich Set For Bumper Weekend With Maritime And Beer Festivals - And Blues Could Take Top...

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Aug 17, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

There will be something for everyone to enjoy in Ipswich this weekend, with an extraordinary line-up of beer, boats, fireworks, fairground rides and football.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

"beer, boats, fireworks, fairground rides and football." which i can with some some confidence offer absolutely nothing to my other half.... what have they got for the girlies? (or is that sexist now!)

4. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Overselling it a bit I think...

gregcooperbeersandcoipswich.jpg
    (Photo Gregg Brown)
    There is Greg... I was a little surprised the bar would be operated by volunteers... it is a for profit business after all. This said it is in aid of charity, which is all good, how much are Beer&Co making from the event? (Or should I say how much is the charity aiming to get?)

Fireworks on the Sunday only.

Sexist? Perhaps, but the point is valid. Most of the weekends features are more likely to appeal to men rather than women. They could have made more of an effort... and the inclusion of football entirely unrelated to the event shows the need for a filler. They did forget the music... but who knows who will be performing?!

What was interesting is the deputy leader (who I thought was stepping down, part of the "holy trinity" wrecking our town) mentioning... (I will quote) ...

Who? What? Where? I wasn't sure about a market, I assume they mean market stalls? Will it be at the waterfront or St Peters Street? I looked a few days ago for information on the maritime festival and saw no reference to a market. If it is a last minute addition it isn't going to be good.

Intercontinental market? My initial thoughts was a travelling market... but I realised this likely means food stalls selling German and Italian food stuff... the latter generic and freely available around the year, and German food rather common too these days especially around Oktoberfest events.

37,500 will be a lot of people in one day... I hope it is good.

5. martinc

martincFounder Member

"nationally award-winning intercontinental market" apart from the fact that reads like very bad grammer to me, who what and where? Do the mean the usual array of stands along the quayside comprising craft stalls, charity stalls, and stalls selling things people should have thrown away years ago...

6. dan5

Yeah, I found it... The company who operate it are basically the equivalent to Ipswich Central... all consultancy based. I went on their website (Market Place Europe) and despite the marketing spiel didn't get to see any mention of awards...

ipswichmaritimefestivalmarket.png

Nottingham Continental Market - Market Place Europe

On the face of it sounds good (the Ipswich market won't be as grand as any of these others, the budget would be small and only a few stalls - 8-10?) but it isn't the same to have a trader who was either born here or have moved here decades ago... than it is to fly them in specially for the event (or more to the point someone over from the continent for a roadshow of events).

For me someones race or nationality and the product they are selling isn't quite "traders from countries as far afield as..." not the same thing at all. This doesn't mean it wouldn't be any good though.

7. martinc

martincFounder Member

sounds a bit different, but its there today? who knew that?

and is not the usual market that does this and stuff such as the saints markets also some independent organisation, maybe even local? did they get blown out then?

8. dan5

No idea, they hinted at this market (which is apparently already operational on the Friday yet not being advertised until the Saturday) without even naming it or giving details...

Ipswich Market has suffered. They couldn't get the stalls for St Peters street market this year... I wouldn't be surprised if the borough isn't getting these people to do the festive market later in the year too.

Apparently, we aren't important enough to be notified about them setting up early... and I think it has something to do with the twilight event... (or is there rationale of having it a day earlier) Is it just us? It is summer holidays but not much promotion to get people down to an event they have set up?

I didn't manage to get any photos as was expecting weather mayhem followed by the twilight nonsense. Some dark clouds, a lot of wind and a bit of rain...

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich hits back at claims parking is costly for Christmas shopping

by dan5 in Ipswich Borough CouncilIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM with 1 replies and 5 views.

2. dan5

Green light expected for new business park at Ipswich sugar beet site at Sproughton

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM with 1 replies and 6 views.

3. dan5

Do you remember when Virgin mogul Richard Branson came to town in 1998?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM with 1 replies and 6 views.

4. dan5

Drum and Monkey pub in Ipswich set to come down early next year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM with 1 replies and 5 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk brewers Adnams stirs up Ipswich fans by praising “Mighty Norwich City”

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM with 3 replies and 10 views.

6. dan5

Word on the Street: What did you think of the Ipswich Christmas lights switch-on?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

7. dan5

Ipswich Icons: The Ipswich Society

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM with 1 replies and 13 views.

8. dan5

Reports of up to 10 vehicles involved in crash on Orwell Bridge westbound

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road in Ipswich to CLOSE at Norwich Road junction this evening over concerns...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM with 1 replies and 20 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM with 1 replies and 11 views.