Ipswich MP slams town’s increasing homelessness figures as ‘outrageous’, as rough sleeping...

Discussion in 'Sandy Martin' started by newsbot, Sep 13, 2017.

1. newsbot

newsbotMember

Homelessness has reached record levels in parts of Suffolk and Essex with the greatest problems seen in Ipswich.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

roughsleepers.png
    New Ipswich MP Sandy Martin pledged to sort out the drugs and rough sleeping problem in Ipswich. He needs to be a bit more proactive than the passive Labour approach of "slamming" figures. He genuinely knows he needs to sort the problems out and lucky there are various non-government organisations and initiatives in the town now to tackle it. I believe he can do it! :)

4. martinc

martincMember

guy curled up in sleeping bag this afternoon in private car park at back of Cattle Market bus station, presumably not enough room for any more tents behind the bus shelters. Its an appalling situation, however you care to look at it; whether they do it by choice (they shouldn't be allowed to) or because they are genuinely homeless (they shouldn't be) This country is failing them.

5. dan5

What bothers me the most is despite the borough sitting on a nice amount of reserves (including unrestricted reserves - that is taxes stockpiled for top chief bonuses and leaving packages) they have deliberately allowed the problems to escalate, to create a politic storm to unlock other funding avenues. They have the money they could dip into for a temporary solution to the peak situation, which is surely what reserves are for.

We currently have a council that have a pretty good provision for dealing with homelessness and we have an awful lot of third sector organisations - quick brainstorm without researching it... IHAG - Ipswich Housing Action Group, Salvation Army, Genesis, Soup Kitchen, FIND foodbank, Night shelter (not year round), YMCA I guess too, ICENI, Chapman Centre, teapot project, cycle cafe, the homeless bus shelter thingy... the last few only recent additions to the arsenal of support - there shouldn't be so many visible homeless people on the streets with all this support going.

Are they genuinely homeless or are they doing it by choice? Well, ex-MP for Ipswich, Ben Gummer argued that most of the homeless people in Ipswich were from neighbouring areas... so I suppose the council are refusing help to those people (I assume!) on such a fact. Travelling from Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool or Brighton for example would be taking the piss... but a homeless person travelling from a neighbouring district or the region... you have to respect that. It is selfish but if they are seasoned homeless (not sleeping on streets from time-to-time if cannot sofa surf which is still homelessness) they are taking steps to improve their outcome and to survive.

I think if I was homeless in a place close by without such support and either I was signposted from the council or heard about it I think I would make the move... I do think the other councils should be contributing towards services provided when they signpost people here, however, technically they aren't resident in their districts (no permanent abode, no council tax etc) and by moving into the area it is no different to someone "moving house", except the absence of the house...

I actually have no idea of the ins-and-outs of how the system works (although have worked with people who have worked within some of those organisations so have heard a bit about it) but I think there is the stage where the council may temporarily provide accommodation in an B&B (this must have been the case around the time of the Maritime Festival) - if you have children (with you) the state will protect you, if you do not, you are out on the streets as they aren't a priority.

I have to weigh it up... it is a criminal offence to sleep on the streets, probably due to circumventing the need to pay council tax. Britain’s history of criminalising homeless people in public spaces There is no way a council - the local authority - would allow people to sleep rough. Councils are generally bullies towards the individuals (opposite for companies) and the poorer you are the worst it is. The fact the borough appears to be ignoring these homeless camps popping up in Ipswich raises questions. Similar could be said for the police. It isn't to say the council or police would fine or prosecute them (if they had the powers to do so) but it would be threatened and they would be moved on... it appears neither the council or police have asked them to move on... Why not?

6. dan5

Buttermarket camp still there as of today. Waterfront camp has gone (for now) following a complaint on Twitter to the council. Talking of twitter found this...

roughsleepersipswich.jpg
    (I do agree that if there needs to be a place on the high street for rough sleepers, it is outside McDs)

I didn't see the above (however I went across via Buttermarket not Tavern Street) - I did see someone outside Waterstones.

It does raise the question, why was the waterfront camp gone but the cattle market one not? The cattle market is more noticeable by more people, however, the waterfront one is near where they want to build/develop luxury apartments (wine rack) and funny enough near to where council leader David Ellesmere works. This problem needs to be sorted.