Ipswich Star Ipswich junction change dropped after residents’ and drivers’ objections

Discussion in 'Latest Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Dec 12, 2017.

1. newsbot

newsbotMember

Ipswich junction change dropped after residents’ and drivers’ objections.
    Proposals to close the junction between Rands Way and Nacton Road have been abandoned after the idea provoked a storm of objections in a public consultation exercise.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

Proposed plans at the junction of Rands Way, Nacton Road and Landseer Road will not go ahead
    Last month, as part of a package of works to improve the road network around Ipswich, we asked people for their views on the proposals at the junction of Rands Way, Nacton Road and Landseer Road.

The proposal for this work included plans to remove the roundabout at that junction and replace it with traffic lights. The lights would enable better control of the traffic in the area and enable more opportunities for cyclists and pedestrians to cross the road safely.

The proposal also featured a move to close off the junction of Rands Way, making it a cul-de-sac.

The four-week consultation, which was advertised in this column, on social media and on signs at the junction, had more than 700 responses. Just under 80% of those who filled in the survey felt the traffic already moved through the junction freely, with more than 75% of respondents believing the area needed no improvement. 93% of those who responded also thought the proposals would not reduce congestion.

The reason we held a consultation for this proposed scheme was because it included significant changes and we wanted public feedback.

There was a great response to the consultation, which is always pleasing to see. I'd like to thank those who took the time to complete it and respond. The reason we consult is so we can take on board what people think. We know changes to the road network are contentious and we also know that people hate sitting in queues of traffic. We're working hard to improve things for everyone - motorists, cyclists, pedestrians and public transport users.

At this point, with the response from the public, we have taken a decision not to carry out this proposed scheme at this junction.

Instead, we will continue to monitor traffic and will review the area as part of the consultation on the Upper Orwell Crossings next year. The construction of the crossings will change traffic patterns in the town, so future changes may need to be made. However, any changes are very unlikely to include the proposal to close off Rands Way.

The next piece of improvement works
    The next set of works will be at the junction of Nacton Road and Maryon Road, starting on 8 January for a period of six weeks. Traffic is congested at the junction and the traffic lights are out of date, working on a fixed time plan that includes the exit of the former Holywells High School.

The new traffic lights here will respond to queues of traffic and for a short stretch the road heading towards the town centre will be widened to two lanes. We'll also remove any street furniture that no longer has any use and update the out of date street lighting with better, more efficient LED lights.

Paul West
    Cabinet Member for Ipswich
    County Councillor for the Bixley Division

• Informative Informative x 1
    • dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

This is the Conservative candidate pre-Ben Gummer that lost in two elections (one a by-election) against Chris Mole!

• dan5

This raises the question... " Where else will they f--- -p?! "

Some possibilities:-
      • Norwich Road two mini roundabouts replacement (revived plan)
      • Woodbridge Road East roundabouts (the gas works caused enough disruption to please SCC!) likely too expensive but tweaks possible
      • Bridge Street replace roundabouts (too expensive for that budget)
      • Star Lane gyratory remove the zebra crossings adding new lights (previous suggestion/guess)
      • Bramford Road bus gate
      • St Matthews Street remove roundabout, add traffic lights (too expensive for that budget)
      • Civic Drive remove roundabout, add traffic lights (too expensive for that budget)
      • Ransomes Way A1189 roundabout (cause major disruption!) some tweaks, maybe add another set of pedestrian crossing lights
      • Nacton Road/Clapgate Lane/Cliff Lane wouldn't surprise me
      • Foxhall Road/St Clements Traffic lights (will likely be added if not part of this scheme)
      This has surely screwed up the Upper Orwell Crossings route?

• martinc

martincFounder Member

I would just like to question the consultation process SCC employed for this. Having seen a reference to the survey online somewhere I completed it. I spotted the survey mentioned again on another occasion , clicked it again, and managed to fill it in again. Same happened on a least one other occasion. So I filled it in 3, maybe 4 times in the end. Now as this was an official Council consultation would you not have thought they should have had some sort of protection on it to prevent multiple submission. I do post from more than one IP address, but could it not have had email verification, or some such? It would not have been beyond the ability of some interested party to set up a bot to complete that multiple times, there was nothing much to prevent it, could have had a catchpa or something. So while I'm pleased with the outcome I do wonder at the legitimacy of the consultation result.

• dan5

Shh... don't give the game away! haha, I didn't think of that actually, and would have been undemocratic!

I wouldn't feel bad about your 3-4 entries, I am sure it works both ways and the council workers were casually responding to how excellent the proposals were. They probably were so inundated with negative responses that their fabricated entries struggled to make 1%.

I think the truth is the local area committee were really against it and local councillors (both borough and county - just a guess) were unhappy rather than solely the public. Councillors seem to forget the point of a consultation is to allow an informal public vote... rather than as elected representatives they choose what they feel is right and rely on the authority of being voted in. In this instance the end result was favourable.

If not having an email verification system... a cookie would have been a reasonable basic step (okay you can delete it or lose it when closing an incognito/private window). Surprised they don't ask for address. I am surprised in this day-and-age there isn't a login with Facebook/Twitter/Google authentication for the consultation. Doesn't stop all abuse, like email addresses you can have multiple social media logins...

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Driver of Alpha Romeo found in ditch beside A1071 near Hintlesham Hall still unaccounted for

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM with 3 replies and 18 views.

2. dan5

Another High Winds Orwell Bridge closure expected this week!

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 15, 2018 with 29 replies and 189 views.

3. dan5

High winds ‘highly likely’ to close A14 Orwell Bridge in Suffolk tomorrow

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM with 2 replies and 19 views.

4. dan5

Could you volunteer as a special constable with Suffolk police?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 8:04 PM with 1 replies and 7 views.

5. dan5

Prospect of third Orwell Bridge closure this year sees Ipswich MP make renewed calls for...

by dan5 in Northern Bypass NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 8:32 PM with 1 replies and 8 views.

6. martinc

Doors open at new Ipswich Building Society’s flagship branch

by martinc in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 1:04 PM with 2 replies and 15 views.

7. dan5

Major roadworks at Heath Road, Foxhall Road and Bixley Road roundabout in Ipswich start today

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 22, 2018 at 5:40 AM with 5 replies and 34 views.

8. dan5

Revealed – Artist’s impressions unveil major new proposals for hotel, restaurants and gym...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 5:04 AM with 2 replies and 22 views.

9. dan5

Competitions authority finds takeover of Sky by Fox not in public interest

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM with 1 replies and 13 views.

10. dan5

Supermarket Sainsbury’s puts “thousands of jobs” at risk in restructure

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsJan 23, 2018 at 12:13 PM with 1 replies and 16 views.