Ipswich Jobs and Careers Fair

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Aug 29, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 14-09-17
  1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

From Ipswich Borough Council website:-
    Hundreds of jobs on offer | Ipswich Borough Council

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

I have added this to my diary...

I used to operate a job website so always went to the job fairs as a promotional exercise - including nearby places such as Colchester - armed with leaflets. It was always the same old. No actual jobs on offer just businesses (usually the army, care and apprenticeships) exhibiting their business. Brand awareness. Free pens and other merchandise to give away.

Training, apprenticeships and colleges love these events... but people go there for a job.

Sometimes agencies will be there. Same story. Was awful when people made the trip specifically there to at least get a lead, find out very few stalls and many unmanned. The last one I went to was at the Ipswich Corn Exchange, all I remember was a stack of job papers, a large empty hall, a few stalls in the corner, and a table with an indiscriminate scattering of leaflets. Disgusting for the county town.

So I am actually pleased the model has been adjusted where there is actually (allegedly) jobs on offer. "Up to 40" - I can currently count 9 (or 10 possibly if JLP is separate). The reason I assume this is different is this snippet... " inaugural joint event". The jobcentre always ran an jobsfair (in partnership with the borough), as did Evening Star/Ipswich Star.

Semantics. Devil in the details etc. SCC apprenticeship team... are these companies before it in the list exhibiting jobs or offering apprenticeships only? In my view, an apprenticeship isn't a job. Also not keen on these sham apprenticeships that are commonplace these days.

David Ellesmere talks a big game....
    None of the Enterprise Zones in Ipswich have created any new jobs...
    How can he say it is a key priority when not only are they not committing themselves to building the third office block on Princes Street but deciding to build a car park on the site instead? The "temporary car park" will remain for at least 6 years and will be properly surfaced. The borough has already given up on the office corridor idea. Is he also easily distracted by jingling a set of keys in front of his face?

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

Free pen did you say, always a winner with me....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

ipswichjobsfair.jpg
      I went to this jobsfair and was disappointed. I genuinely expected more. I almost forgot to go but at the Cornhill no work was being done then I realised the jobsfair was on.

When I visited there was little fanfare outside (two people chatting on the door (inside) - paid for doing nothing for a few hours). Went in the grand hall and there was a little less than the numbers in the above IBC promotional photo (taken when it opened). It wasn't really a success based on attendance numbers.

A good number of stalls!! Creams were advertising for workers (actual jobs), the police were there, John Lewis, AXA... but most the same old... apprenticeships, educational establishments, public sector organisations... 400 jobs going? Maybe 80 at a push. I would estimate 30 jobs on offer. Possibly apprenticeships too (although it is solely an advert for the businesses and generating leads...). Typical organisations exhibiting themselves with few (or any) jobs going. Lots of merchandise on offer and small "fish bowls" of the cheapest "candy" sweets... not the big bags from a supermarket or poundland... less quality than that!

The best the council and DWP can do. It was far better than a few I have been to before at the Corn Exchange... but the promise of so many jobs and number of employers didn't come to anything. There wasn't anywhere near 40 there and only several were private sector employers. Most people clocked on quickly and walked round before leaving. For example, John Lewis was just a roller banner with their website address to apply for jobs and some literature on the table. It was manned so you could talk to someone who would simply tell you to go online. No point attending... anyone actively seeking a job would have tried John Lewis and Waitrose if they wanted that sort of work. The insurance companies were more of the same and just an opportunity for some employees to get a few hours out of the office...

So it was all a lie... the jobcentre does a jobsfair every year. Archant/Evening Star used to then do another once a year (but not every year). The borough sometimes stick its name on the jobcentre one. This was no different. I think if I was looking for a job I would have left frustrated and annoyed.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

did you get any free pens though?

• OP
      OP
      dan5

haha, no, I didn't want to get into conversation as I had limited time.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Ipswich Borough Council has released a press release... Fair enough! Businesses hail jobs and careers event | Ipswich Borough Council
      1200 people is 5 people per minute. "Around 50"? Four rows of up to 8 stalls (with H&S path in the middle), 4 at the top and 4 at the bottom. I make that 40 maximum, with some businesses having double stalls such as University of Suffolk. Still a big chunk of them weren't local employers with jobs.

It wasn't that busy throughout the day, however, a good number of stalls... even if very few of them are employers.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront Modern Aluminium Sphere Bauble Tree

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCentral IpswichNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 38 views.

2. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJul 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 98 views.

3. dan5

Star Lane phantom roadworks

by dan5 in Star Lane GyratoryCentral IpswichNov 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM with 8 replies and 40 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationCentral IpswichOct 19, 2017 with 15 replies and 113 views.

5. dan5

How to save the Cornhill in Ipswich?

by dan5 in CornhillCentral IpswichNov 13, 2017 with 4 replies and 54 views.

6. dan5

Ipswich: A-Board Heaven

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichNov 8, 2017 with 4 replies and 72 views.

7. dan5

Why won't Adnams open a shop in Ipswich?

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 47 views.

8. martinc

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by martinc in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 3 replies and 42 views.

9. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 35 replies and 273 views.

10. dan5

Landseer Road / Nacton Road Traffic Lights consultation

by dan5 in Nacton RoadCentral IpswichNov 7, 2017 with 5 replies and 79 views.