Ipswich Family Trail 2017

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Aug 9, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

allaboutipswichfamilytrail.png
    Compared to the Explore Ipswich Visitor Guide, the Ipswich Family Trail (although for a completely different audience) is actually really good. Allows children to learn about features on buildings and the like.

Runs until early September... See an online version of the booklet or get a copy from the Tourist Information Centre.

Ipswich Family Trail

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

I'll be honest I rather like the idea of doing the trail. We enjoyed finding all the pigs last year (and ticking them off on our app) and this seems to be a similar idea using existing landmarks. A good excuse to wander around town (stop somewhere for coffee), get a bit of exercise, and spot a few things you wouldn't normally notice...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

I have to admit it really pisses me off. They cannot "smells what sells"... the charity mass public participation event was a huge success. The fundraising element is irrelevant in the context but the borough and Ipswich Central must realise the pulling power this event had.
      • The town was busier - people spent longer in town
      • Families had fun - no need to spend any money for this activity, but resulted in retail sales boost
      • Residents were positive and more people had smiles on their faces (significant for Ipswich), and
      • It genuinely pulled people into the town from the county and the region
      The borough and Ipswich Central really needs to be working on similar (mass public participation event), an annual event. Doesn't have to be a charity event. I guess the Ipswich Family Trail is similar to an extent.

Shopping or walking through the town is seen as a chore to many. It doesn't have a positive vibe. It doesn't fit the bill of "retail therapy" anymore. You get that factor at other retail centres... The pigs added a little excitement to the trip... whether you were taking photos, ticking them off a list or just looking at a specific one.

Pigs Gone Wild raised £200k for charity, boosted retail spend by £1 million and attracted a quarter of a million people (250,000) over 10 weeks. 90% of people explored areas of the town they hadn't been before. Source:Pigs Gone Wild gives Ipswich £1million boost.

Other big attractions in recent years have included Paw Patrol. So it proves it doesn't have to be a big event to pull the numbers in. A one day event is adequate.

Anyhow... back to the Ipswich Family Trail... I genuinely love what they had done for this. I had intended of creating a cheat sheet (probably not publishing until the last few days to prevent spoiling the fun) but I wasn't fully confident I knew all of the answers (rather not publish incorrect info). :(:oops::D

If I was to be critical, I think some parents would be unhappy with the offers (ice cream, soft drinks etc.) and I think they missed a trick by not including Ipswich Museum. There is hints of meet Wool-I-Am but even if you kept it to 10 items (instead of increasing to 15 or 20) they could have dropped one of the double-item Ancient House (1&2) to include it and have the one they scrapped as a "Star Spot".

Ipswich is full of beautiful buildings with messages most people overlook. Ideas like this are great and along with the Heritage Weekend are great ways to enjoy Ipswich.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Glad to hear another Pigs Gone Wild (public mass-participation event) is being announced... unfortunately, won't be here until 2019! We could do with that whilst Cornhill is shut off, but maybe that is why the delay?

• martinc

martincFounder Member

so what will it be then? Maybe to save money on expensive fibreglass animals they can base it around rough sleepers... nearly as many of them dotted around the town now as there were pigs, just stick a QR code up next to their pitch, we can all scan it, take a photo and then seek out the next one...

So, for me, stick your multicolored plastic animal event where the sun don't shine, if you can't solve the problems of homeless, rough sleepers and beggars in Ipswich first, dont bother....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • OP
        OP
        dan5

Gives me an idea... why not have people scan in a QR code next to their favourite homeless person... and at the end that person can be given the keys to one of the various new build houses or a luxury penthouse flat at the wine rack?!

Anyway, stupid misplaced comical ideas aside, the homelessness problem is a serious issue (not a joke) which needs addressing as a matter of urgency... I still think the wine rack would be ideal place to rehouse them whilst they turn their lives around. We all know they will be living on the new vanity bridge pedestrian/cycle part.

My apologies for the above, but the homeless problem has become a symbol of Ipswich, more than pigs (or any other animals) have. Furthermore, people have began to just "accept it" as normal. Look at and walk on just like with the pigs... or will it be turned into a freak show where people will start posing for "selfies" with them?

Perhaps it is time for a parody map with numbered homeless people? Not intended to be a joke but would highlight the problems, could have a key listing their first names, unfortunately I don't think the town will recover its image after something like that going viral.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

agree, its has become acceptable now, we all walk passed and turn a blind eye, it should never had happened, I really despair now. And I'm serious, forgot the animals, solve the homeless issue first. I have no enthusiasm for town trails when i have to ignore so much else that should not be there.

• OP
        OP
        dan5

I am sure there is a couple of questionable characters but each of those people have a story.

The council seems to think it isn't their problem as these people don't pay council tax and probably don't vote either. It is an awful attitude to have.

On a similar note, I was shocked and disgusted that FIND foodbank has got a primary school involved. Ipswich Star - Youngsters present food bank with donation from school’s harvest festival It is surely an marketing attempt for squeezed income families. Helping them get a foot in the door...

More like this

Title
      RepliesViews
      Last Message
      1. dan5

Waterfront Regeneration

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 with 2 replies and 31 views.

2. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 with 3 replies and 61 views.

3. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichApr 28, 2017 with 7 replies and 435 views.

4. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 29 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 85 views.

6. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 76 views.

7. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 215 views.

8. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 307 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road closed until at least January 2018

by dan5 in Norwich RoadCentral IpswichDec 6, 2017 with 1 replies and 83 views.

10. dan5

Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

by dan5 in South East IpswichCentral IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 90 views.