Oldest English Town | Princes Street (Ipswich) Office Corridor |

Ipswich Carnival

Discussion in 'Civic & Community' started by dan5, Jul 10, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Is it time to bring back Ipswich Carnival?

1991%20ipswich%20carnival.jpg
    I felt a part of the community soul got destroyed when it was axed.

I know it got brought back briefly unsuccessfully due to the council not wanting it to succeed.

Over the years the town has become more diverse, yet we don't have a carnival.

Felixstowe Carnival continues strong as does many other places in Suffolk - and indeed other counties nationwide, but why not Ipswich? Even if the route was limited to the town centre...

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincMember

is perhaps not a good old fashioned carnival perceived by those who can implement such things as a bit down market perhaps? Assuming it would also involve some sort of do on Christchurch Park as well to end it then perhaps its a job to fit it in around Music Day, Global Rhythms, numerous German beer festivals, the half marathon, then we have what ever the maritime festival is now, and many other events, Oh, Pulse festival, The Mela, the Colour wotsit, some other thing on Alexandra park this weekend. Add in heritage open weekend, and in fact Ipswich and the town centre are involved in numerous events throughout the summer. How would they fit a carnival in as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

Ipswich is as down market as you can get! :eek::D I want to change that to a certain degree.

Without a doubt there are lots of events on these days in Ipswich - mostly small. (I realised that there will be 3 Oktoberfests this year... The "official" one, the saints one and they are keeping the town hall/corn exchange one too! Didn't we already have an German beer festival too? It has attracted a german kebab place)

Everything is rather standalone with no connection between them. Evening and night events can proceed day events. Somewhat a shame Ipswich Music Day is on Sundays and not a Saturday. This is how sleepy town we are. (I do see pros and cons for both days)

Giggles aside, I think this is also something they worry about... events clashing. There should be events that clash (okay not your major events) - not all events will be someones cup of tea and you can use timing. The carnival wouldn't be an all day event although you could bolt on events surrounding it.

The biggest problem is a town centre carnival would support the traditional town centre, which those in power do not want. There would be little point between Cornhill and the Waterfront! The "Ipswich Entertains" outlet is a major concern.

• martinc

martincMember

Bring back the good old Co-op fete on Christchurch Park; motorcycle football, model aircraft flying display, some fireworks in the evening, and no doubt much more I can't remember.

3245124342.jpg

(I should really know some of those people, but time has faded such memories!)

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Back when the co-op was still relevant.... these days they just own large parcels of land and keep them away from developers. More of a nationally coordinated business, it has lost touch with the community. I think a proper co-operative model is the way to go (like the co-op was traditionally).

I think more people would support bringing back the co-op fete than the carnival... Does anyone know why they stopped doing them? For many in the day, it was the biggest event on the calendar. It might make a good PR piece... people sharing their memories of Ipswich past.

• martinc

martincMember

I believe they stopped doing it as it ha ops become a right pita to organise and I have a feeling the carnival started up as well and we used to get both every year for a while. Having had the experience of playing guitar in a rock band on the back of a truck whilst driving through the streets of ipswich as part of the carnival procession I can tell you it's a challenge... :)

But in defence of our local co-op they are about as community minded as they can be given the cutthroat retail world we now live in.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Maybe we should mix it up, have a carnival through the streets of Ipswich during rush hour... some entertainment lol

It has been tricky, they started doing the token donation system (first I believe) where you get the little round plastic token to select a charity to donate to... and the big supermarkets like Asda followed suit. As time has passed they have been merging and the like... so it is a regional business controlled through a national system.

I suppose that might answer it... we merged with Norwich and then again with Colchester to become the EoE Co-Op. It was no longer a county town event... (Norwich wouldn't have allowed Ipswich to host it) and was linked to the Labour Party. There could be a modern twist to a revamped co-op fete however Norwich and Colchester would want their own events... and probably Bury St Eds too... a big shame as even if it came back as a one-off event it could be a great charity fundraising event!

• martinc

martincMember

Its going to be a bloody Carnival anyway shortly with Woodbridge Road Closed, Ranelagh Road Closed and Key St down to a single lane for 12 WEEKS to do one small bit of footpath (SCC taking the p*ss again), and no doubt more as well...

• martinc

martincMember

and if I click on the photo thumbnails in this thread, even the ones i posted I get this, and can't view them.

Ipswich Community - Error
      You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Don't get me started with the Key Street lane closure! It is necessary, just not for that duration... a month should be adequate for both sides (i.e. 2 weeks each, ideally with a break between doing either side) I would argue it could be done overnight and in a week but Suffolk Highways don't understand efficient working (I don't recall ever having these problems when it was run by the public sector and not subcontracted) and I think there is third party work to be done also which will only add to timescales. Expect this to overrun. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't an disruption exercise to sell the Upper Orwell Crossings.

As for the attachment situation, some reason I can now see the thumbnails but cannot view the attachments themselves getting the same message. Unless the developers post a fix, I will try to work a way to upload to a directory and include as HTML (like previous site) seamlessly. Such a basic feature!

I have quite a bit of content rather photo heavy which I have had to hold back. There is no HTML version (just BBCode) and all previous HTML is due to previous site posts imported... I might have to manually add them through the database.

I am sure for many of these problems there are fixes you have to go out of your way to discover (despite having rather a stock configuration used by millions of websites) or workarounds via additional plugins/addons, but for £130/year licence (not a HUGE amount, paid a lot more for other software licensing but is a big jump up from free/open source) for basic without the paid addons... I expect less of these problems. XenForo is effectively a fork of VBulletin I believe, well established, and basic problems with posting and attachments?! It should scale better than bbpress.

IPSWI beta