Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

Discussion in 'South East Ipswich' started by dan5, Sep 11, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Alongside Marshall Jaguar & Marshall Land Rover and Ipswich Audi, will become Pendragon car dealership.

Crane Boulevard is filling up with car dealerships and it looks unlikely for more A1 retail to join Futura Park.

This makes you wonder... Phase 2 of Futura Park (the array of retail units opposite Waitrose and John Lewis) is smaller than Euro Retail Park (over the road). It is probable that this is the end of any more retailers joining the business park. So what was the point?

With the traffic that end of town, it is probably for the best.

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. martinc

martincMember

None of it was supposed to be retail or cars where they are now. That bit was all in the master plan as business / employment only.

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

I lose track on what they are aiming for. In this case it was an extension of Ransomes Europark?

There is supposed to be a power station built behind Waitrose.... not sure if that is still going ahead.

4. martinc

martincMember

It was always Futura Park, stand alone. Waitrose was the anchor store to kick start it, the other units were also part of the original plan I think, but the rest was most defo employment. Car dealerships is a deviation from that. Not sure about behind waitrose. Some parts of that site, despite the "remediation" I believe may still pose considerable challenges in dealing with environmental issues in the ground.

Nothing online ref original intent, apart of course it will be on IBC planning site. Found this ref your power station of which I had heard nothing before, interesting..

This was followed by the sale of two further plots for three further motor trade operators: two franchises operated by Donalds underthe Mazda and Volvo brands, and Pendragon with their Evans Halshaw Car Supermarket operation.

Hard on the heels of this there was a sale of a one acre site to Foundation Capital for the erection of a sustainable green energy gas powered generating plant which will service not only the National Grid, but also improve the sustainability and robustness of power supplies in the Ipswich area.

As a result of this activity, and following the earlier disposal of sites to John Lewis, Waitrose and a non-food retail terrace, there remain only two sites currently available, ranging in size from 1.5 to 4.5 acres.

Given the quality of the occupiers attracted to the Park to date, Richard Coke, the Director responsible for this project to Coke Gearing, is confident that similar transactions will follow in the early part of 2017.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

Sorry, I know it is separate, I meant a generic employment area... so could be warehouses, offices, fire stations, driving test centre, hotels, wholesalers, car sales, gyms... basically anything but housing.

green energy + gas powered? I suppose it is biomass.

• martinc

martincMember

not sure how biomass, the trucks that bring it in, and the usual rural look of those things will sit with John Lewis, Jag, and Audi etc.. need to find some info,

• OP
      OP
      dan5

It is exactly what you want close to a car salesroom for sure :D, and also, the close proximity to Waitrose and John Lewis is unlikely to please them. I am sure the retail terrace opposite them wouldn't really care too much about it.

It will generate quite some HGV traffic in an already over capacity road network.