Ipswich Star Full List Of Sandwiches At Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Asda And Waitrose With Possible...

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Aug 10, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

Around 700,000 eggs from Dutch farms implicated in a contamination scare have been distributed to Britain, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has said. Millions have been taken off supermarket shelves. See a full list here.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Of some irony, the German supermarkets stock only British eggs and poultry etc. unless I am mistaken.

British supermarkets including Waitrose... appalling. Cost cutting to boost profits at every step. Surprised Tesco isn't on the list.

I have to be clear here that domestic produce isn't immune from the same problems and just because something is imported doesn't mean it is inferior.

4. dan5

I couldn't agree more!!!

5. martinc

martincFounder Member

no Boots sarnies on the the list, i would never buy an egg one anyway but its nice to know your current go to purveyor of lunch is not listed...

6. dan5

Well, I never buy sandwiches including eggs or tuna for this reason. Cannot be helped if the mayo contains it... annoying when they can stick a logo on the box and/or state of the ingredients that the chicken/bacon etc. is British, and the sandwiches were made in the UK, only for all the other complimentary ingredients to be cheaply imported. I am sure (speculation) in certain cases the mayonnaise was an import - not the eggs themselves - and to ensure costs are lower there is always a chain of suppliers.

When more companies are producing something who obviously want a cut and the product is cheaper than fewer, you have to ask big questions as to how the end supermarket can trust their suppliers, when the suppliers own supplier may not be trusted. Didn't similar happen with the horse meat scandal?

The sandwich meal deals to get people in are made down to a price with the intention people will buy an additional item (chocolate bar, chewing gum etc.) to further boost their profits. The Boots is the best meal deal (price wise) around.

I am NOT surprised to see Sainsburys listed... although their drink selection was always very limited (unlike Boots for example) their Taste the Difference range of sandwiches (the non-triangle shaped bags) were really nice... and for £3 if coke or ribena is to your taste... and a packet of crisps/fruit bag.... lunch sorted...

Well, I say nice, before they pulled them... in the last year they forced cheaper ingredients to boost their margins. When people stopped buying them because they tasted awful they withdrew them completely. Now the sandwiches are really bad. Hopefully Sainsburys can get fined. All well saying it was a suppliers fault... but to go from (arguably) the best sandwiches on the high street for such a price point... to be involved in controversy because the business deliberately looked for ways to cut costs and boost margins... doesn't stick. All supermarkets do it, they all understand the concept. Foreign supplies are sought as they undercut local suppliers at a price they cannot achieve and means fewer jobs here (which are likely migrants from Europe but the difference is we don't see those benefits of taxes and spend etc.).

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Market to operate every day in Christmas run-up at Ipswich town centre

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM with 1 replies and 6 views.

2. dan5

New Ipswich restaurant hopes to open late spring - smaller than planned

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich community radio station celebrates another successful year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM with 1 replies and 7 views.

4. dan5

CCTV issued after cash stolen from ATM at Martlesham Tesco store

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM with 1 replies and 7 views.

5. dan5

Can you answer these 2017 Key Stage Two SATs questions for 11-year-olds?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM with 1 replies and 11 views.

6. dan5

Latest firm revealed to join Futura Park development in Ipswich

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM with 2 replies and 15 views.

7. martinc

Co-founder of Milsom Hotel & Restaurants in Essex and Suffolk dies aged 93

by martinc in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM with 2 replies and 23 views.

8. dan5

Staff at McColls in Ipswich threatened with handgun during armed robbery

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM with 1 replies and 16 views.

9. dan5

Revealed – Ipswich Hospital spent £422k on photocopying since May 2017

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM with 1 replies and 15 views.

10. dan5

Cornhill development in Ipswich gets the green light - but it will cost £400,000 more

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsDec 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM with 3 replies and 17 views.