Ipswich Star East of England Co-op boss Minnie Mole tells of childhood sexual abuse as she becomes Fresh...

Discussion in 'Latest Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Nov 20, 2017.

1. newsbot

newsbotMember

East of England Co-op boss Minnie Mole tells of childhood sexual abuse as she becomes Fresh Start – New Beginnings ambassador.
    Minnie Mole, joint chief executive of the East of England Co-op, is one of the region’s most influential business leaders. As she is named as the new ambassador of sexual abuse charity Fresh Start – New Beginnings, she reveals her own story of childhood abuse, in her own words:

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

a moving and very difficult story to tell, I have no doubt. Shame the Star can't proof read it for spelling errors then to give it the gravitas it deserves;
    "loving parents and two bothers"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

It is much worse when these sort or articles have so bad mistakes in them.

We all make spelling and grammar mistakes etc - sometimes it is auto correct in text messages and sometimes spell checkers do not flag up mistakes especially when using the wrong word which is otherwise compliant, but it makes me wonder why a simple proof read wouldn't have been enough. This is poor and surely what the editor is for?

It is not so easy to notice your own mistakes as you can auto-correct mistakes in your mind to understand what it means after all the main intention of reading is usually to find out what is being said rather than analysing the words themselves.

To explain what I mean, Cambridge Uni did a study a while back highlighting this effect:-
      As long as the first and last letter is in the correct place most people can work out comfortably what the words should be. Using the above example, ignoring words under 4 letters long, most isn't that puzzling, some would take a little longer to work out. It kind of discourages skim reading.

The easy way to proofing is simply to pass it on to someone else to read through. Alternatively leave it a day, and read through it the next morning. From my own experience I notice anything my mind "auto-corrects" but I hadn't realise was incorrect, usually become apparent as soon as I click Send/Publish/Post Reply/Submit. Although some of them are pretty bad, I don't always correct for the odd mistake.

• dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

The article in full (pretty much):-

It is really sad how widespread this is and yet today even with the rather recent famous cases (that have encouraged people to come forward and talk about it) not enough is being done to tackle the problem. Police budgets are stretched and historic cases have put them under further strain but no specific budget setup to tackle the problem further.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Market to operate every day in Christmas run-up at Ipswich town centre

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM with 1 replies and 14 views.

2. dan5

New Ipswich restaurant hopes to open late spring - smaller than planned

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM with 1 replies and 22 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich community radio station celebrates another successful year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM with 1 replies and 11 views.

4. dan5

CCTV issued after cash stolen from ATM at Martlesham Tesco store

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM with 1 replies and 10 views.

5. dan5

Can you answer these 2017 Key Stage Two SATs questions for 11-year-olds?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM with 1 replies and 13 views.

6. dan5

Latest firm revealed to join Futura Park development in Ipswich

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM with 2 replies and 16 views.

7. martinc

Co-founder of Milsom Hotel & Restaurants in Essex and Suffolk dies aged 93

by martinc in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM with 2 replies and 24 views.

8. dan5

Staff at McColls in Ipswich threatened with handgun during armed robbery

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM with 1 replies and 21 views.

9. dan5

Revealed – Ipswich Hospital spent £422k on photocopying since May 2017

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM with 1 replies and 16 views.

10. dan5

Cornhill development in Ipswich gets the green light - but it will cost £400,000 more

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsLatest Ipswich NewsDec 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM with 3 replies and 17 views.