Ipswich Star Diversion sign downed for more than a week during village roadworks

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Sep 10, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

A sign warning of a road closure lay face down for more than a week outside a Suffolk village.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincMember

4. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Well, if no one could read it... it couldn't have warned anyone about a road closure.

WTF... there are photos!!! The following comment on the article sums up the modern villager attitude...

Just pick the thing up... or just leave it and don't complain!

5. martinc

martincMember

its a tricky one though isn't it, I see things around the countryside and town that need a simple fix and I often wonder if I lived nearby would I sort it? If I had a road sign outside that was obscured or really dirty would i cut the shrubs or wipe it over for instance. Now I have removed all the weeds from the back of the footpath along my boundary that belong to SCC (Or IBC who knows) but few other people seem to venture to do so, which is a shame, but I have stopped short of running the hoe along the road gutter though, but i still might.

As an example there was a place name sign somewhere in Suffolk I regularly passed at the road side, it had a sticker on it which obscured part of a letter, not a big think but it annoyed me every time I saw it, the sticker was there for years, may even still be. Now I was convinced if i lived there I would have gone out and, taking some pride in my town/village, removed it... so would i have picked up a fallen road sign? dunno, i have no doubt as it involves SCC and their pet contractor trying to organise something they will have already completly pi**ed off all the locals with their disorganisation, the locals will now be sick of it all and have no desire to help in any way...

6. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

"Civic pride" I guess.

I think you are right with that but you aren't helping the council out but each other. So for example with the "downed" sign, you are doing it so others can see the information rather than helping out Suffolk Highways. Similar in your example, removing the sticker... as it shouldn't be there, untidy and is actually unlawful. The rules surrounding it is very strict.

I just got the impression someone was going past twice daily every day tracking the downed sign and then contacting every council and press outlet to right this injustice... like in the end was it really worth the stress of it all? The council would have fobbed the person off to say they will get someone to check it... and the Kier ("Suffolk Highways") employee applicable (manager,supervisor etc) probably laughed it off and not bothered with the request as too trivial.