Creams Gelato Co prepares to open in Buttermarket Centre

Discussion in 'Town Centre (Central Ipswich)' started by dan5, Sep 7, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Ipswich Society reports that Creams (another ice cream desert place) refit is nearing completion and should open soon (ready for the autumn - probably a bad time to open?)

creamsgelatoco.jpg
    Looks good from the outside, the white pillar is unfortunate and the Creams sign sideways looks bad... overall quite good.

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. martinc

martincMember

its going to get cinema traffic up there but no other passing footfall...

but will it smell of sick like the other one does?

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

Yeah, it is a clever placement. I could see people going for ice cream after watching a film. Not sure if it is worth the rent a shopping centre location would command. Time will only tell if it is a success.

It should in theory displace Kaspas which is only temporary (?) They will either need to apply for planning or quit within 2 years I believe.

Smell of sick? Creams shouldn't do. As for Kaspas... Kaspas Desserts, Ipswich - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor Cleanliness (of lack of) is a major reoccurring complaint.

4. martinc

martincMember

yeah, its that sickly smell of all the sweet unhealthy stuff! yuck...!

I did read that Kaspas and Creams both sprung from the same business when the partners fell out and went their separate ways, hence the similarities, Kaspas trip Advisor reviews are not good, indeed..

5. OP
    OP
    dan5

It is interesting... Creams appears to be aiming upmarket - words like "purveyor" prominently displays will give the placebo effect of quality... although to some it may be too close to "pervert" to attract everyones money. :D Seller of desserts don't quite have the same effect. Something you would find in Europe (overall branding mismatched) - it is like somewhere trying to be posh with a few common touches.

Kaspas is a more cheap-end mass market style with that obvious low-end American diner look. To put it into perspective, Cream is the Pret, where Kaspas is Greggs... but at the end of the day both the same! :D

I am not surprised if it was a split of business partners. I would assume Kaspas is the partner trying to take on Creams (very little in it both seems hideous... American-style but Italian ice cream, which is it? lol) - they have proven demand in Ipswich and I look forward to Creams wiping the floor with them. This said, I wouldn't go to either of them.

Is it Creams, Creams Cafe or Creams Gelato Co? I think I would prefer an full Italian theme perhaps with a good range of iced coffees too... rather than someone selecting gelato (Italian for ice cream) as it is perceived as being a superior ice cream (typically higher sugar, less fat) whilst needing that stereotypical American diner look on par with something like Swensens (and various competing chains of a very similar theme).

The government really needs to add a sugar tax on these chains (including Krispy Kreme) as it is really incompatible with our free healthcare system. The NHS will take the strain from this over consumption of sugar etc. If people want to go private for their healthcare then they should be able to eat what they want. A lot of the customers are pigging out at these places once a month. A sugar tax (like alcohol duty or fuel duty) would help pay for this ticking time-bomb... it could be ring fenced for related illnesses. The politicians are only interested in supermarket related minimum pricing or sugar tax concepts as such restaurants and outlets directly employ people and take over empty shops...