Cornhill Pret Ipswich will heavily impact independent traders

Discussion in 'Cornhill' started by dan5, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Independent coffee shops and cafes may struggle with a Pret at the Cornhill.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

Some quotes of my previous comments in the above links:-

I believe J&G coffee cafe in High Street died a horrible death. They couldn't make it work - they should have accepted (contactless) card payments. They didn't really stand a chance against Greggs. I went past the other week, unless I am mistaken, it is shut.

Ipswich resident comments on Pret in Ipswich.

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

I think the good independents will be fine, some of the smaller less able may suffer but i think the biggest losses will be from the other chains. That looks like a very big cafe to me, its going to soak up a lot of trade. Maybe perhaps places such as the cafe at the top of Debenhams will suffer, who ever actually goes up there?
    Will IBC however be able to support this? Is it not against policy, has that not already been stated?
    Or will it be used as justification for the Cornhill destruction taking place next year, in a "hey, look, we spent millions and got you yet another chain coffee shop!, didn't we do good"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

Yes, Greggs and Cafe Nero will take most of the impact. However, I think it will create a two-horse race... People are obsessed with high street brands. I would hate to think how much the likes of McDonalds, Starbucks, Costa and Greggs export out of the local economy each year. I suppose it is no different to shops.

A specific type of people go to independents... but you could class this as more than Prets usual A1 sandwich shops... there is two quite large cafes - ground floor and first floor. I wouldn't be surprised if it impacted independents. The location is key, the indies are hidden out of the way.

I uploaded the Pret planning designs on IPSWI. The documents have only just came available in the last couple of hours. Not available at 2am this morning! :D No one at the council works so late/so early, so why do they stick a delay for the documents to show?

I am not sure if it is against their planning policies - I believe it is, the other restaurant was without the bank division in the other part of the current store. They might have perfectly fudged the figures... as the building has two frontages - Cornhill and Westgate St. I wonder if the council will save face, as even if this was within their policy guidelines (I will research it) they previously ruled out a restaurant (A3 class - even if this is a "sandwich shop") and said this unit must be a shop... But it is Pret... and big multiples have different rules than the rest of us.

I don't think it would have been so bad if they stuck to the original plan of the Cornhill for outside dining. Politicians only care about vanity - photo shoots and the like - and there is nothing someone like David Ellesmere wants more than to have a photo outside Pret in his infamous coat with a free coffee in hand. Likely with Labour MP, Sandy Martin in tow.

I don't have too much against Pret, when you are a big wealthy company you can acquire perfect locations... for me it was the council turning down a planning application for a restaurant, and then to allow a mixed restaurant (vast majority of floor space) and sandwich shop despite saying it must be a shop, because they think someone like Pret a Manger is an ideal anchor tenant for the Cornhill scheme. Of course, the previous "restaurant" may have been destined for Pret all along... but I see it is brand snobbery, the point here is the class of change of use and specification... shouldn't matter if it is an independent, a multiple we already have in the town or a new to the town brand.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Cardinal Park leisure terrace

by dan5 in Central IpswichCornhillJan 2, 2018 with 2 replies and 59 views.

2. dan5

Tessuti Real Fur: Ongoing protests outside Tessuti Ipswich Westgate Street

by dan5 in Town CentreCornhillDec 23, 2017 with 2 replies and 100 views.

3. dan5

Waterfront Regeneration

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCornhillDec 10, 2017 with 4 replies and 97 views.

4. dan5

Look inside the new Pret for Ipswich Cornhill

by dan5 in CornhillCornhillNov 1, 2017 with 1 replies and 182 views.

5. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreCornhillDec 10, 2017 with 3 replies and 100 views.

6. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichCornhillApr 28, 2017 with 7 replies and 526 views.

7. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreCornhillDec 14, 2017 with 1 replies and 56 views.

8. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCornhillAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 105 views.

9. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCornhillJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 254 views.

10. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCornhillSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 334 views.