Cornhill Dig

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Sep 13, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

cornhilldig.jpg
    Ipswich Society has posted a photo of the Cornhill archaeological dig in the town centre. They refer to the proposed fountains as "fun fountains". The lower level has been akin to the medieval market site - which is ironic as Ipswich Borough Council has no intention to keep the charter market on the Cornhill.

What will happen once the work has been done? Are they going to keep the entire Cornhill closed off? As you can see very little is soft material like sand or soil - or even hard core, and much of it is rubble from previous tarmac and the like.

They are not going to be able to (easily) refill the material and lay down the blocks temporarily for January. This may mean the festive period will have the Cornhill closed off... where will they put the tree? Of course, maybe they aren't planning to dig the entire area (renders the exercise rather pointless). I can only assume the current barriers is the boundary of the archaeological dig site and thus the inner area will have the remains of a work site. Will it become a pond?

Or are the council going to be "clever" and bring forward the start of the works, for example... install the tanks and pumps for the fountains and do basic ground works before January?

I might be far off the mark, however, I cannot see them being able to restore the surface for the festive period... they could of course import hundreds of tons of hard core etc. and get it block-paved again... but to dig this up again just a couple of months later appears both cost prohibitive and pointless. They could use broken segments of tarmac etc. as a base but similar still applies.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

I went into town today (Cornhill) and no further progress that I could see from when this photo was taken except minus the tools and tubs.

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

but they did a big hole here a year or so ago, I think doing other site investigations, and they filled that in and put back the pavers, as I was surprised how well they did it, so if it needs patching up for Christmas I'm sure they will do it.

I looked in the hole yesterday, it looked like a typical archaeological trench, where someone is no doubt now digging around with a small trowel,

5. OP
    OP
    dan5

I wonder if this is connected to the museums grant they got for training museum employment. I wonder if it is bum on seats employment of the Colchester and Ipswich Museums Service (CIMs) or is it SCC archaeological arm doing this?

I think they are just doing that trench? I did think they were going for the entire Cornhill area. In which case they could restore it back, which for the wider area wouldn't be so achievable.

6. martinc

martincFounder Member

Lots of private archaeological companies now, in fact SCC field team are now privatised, happened a couple of years ago, so SCC no longer have any actual people to dig, the developer will be employing the diggers working to an SCC brief.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

I think it is really sad we have got to the stage of needing private archaeological companies - they will be more efficient but motivated through greed - it is something the senior council should still be undertaking. Requires a lot of trust.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

Not sure any Council's carry their own teams now, but a lot of the privates I've come across have been ex Council teams,
      this is the ex SCC lot
      Suffolk Archaeology

is it not a symptom of how things are going though, what labour do Council's now employ direct? Not much do they...

• OP
      OP
      dan5

This is true. The borough recently been investing in arms-length companies and the county council has been forcing off services into separate companies... such as Suffolk Libraries (in an IPS they have strong contractual controls over), Realise Futures and Vertas etc. Oh and Concertus! I am sure there are more.

I don't completely disagree with spin-offs wholly owned by the council which have various advantages (including limiting the councils liability), however, it does make you wonder. Concertus has loans from the council amounting to multi-million pounds unsecured.

concertusloans.png
      We have to remain realistic here, the owner of the business is SCC so this isn't that bad. However, why do they need to buy the building? Why do they not have finance from any third party i.e .matched funding etc.? This is a separate entity, so it does reduce the demand the council has for significant reserves.

You will notice the almost one million pound loan is payable at "free will" with a basic repayable on demand clause.

There is a very ugly reason for why these companies are popular (including but not limited to making the council less accountable) and it isn't positive for enterprise overall, as all the council owned spin-offs get the grants and contracts from the council with outsiders unable to get a look in. Take the coffee shop at the waterfront - not sure how many companies tendered for it - but Vertas was pretty much guaranteed to win support for the SCC project (i.e. the uni). Similar storey with other local government organisations, such as the tea room at the Town Hall which was gifted to Realise Futures another SCC spin off. I am sure this is a compatible attitude for a sleepy town but doesn't imply confidence into attracting businesses (large well established businesses to start-ups) getting involved in the county town.

Are these workers part of the union (as the parent company is SCC or IBC) or is the fact that it is a private business in its own right (with public ownership) that it isn't applicable? I know Suffolk Libraries employees continue with the public sector pension fund (but not new staff).

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Update photo...

ipswichsocietycornhillupdate.jpg

From Ipswich Society facebook.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 82 views.

2. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 73 views.

3. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 209 views.

4. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 303 views.

5. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 at 8:12 PM with 2 replies and 49 views.

6. dan5

Bramford Road closed until at least January 2018

by dan5 in Norwich RoadCentral IpswichDec 6, 2017 with 1 replies and 80 views.

7. dan5

Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

by dan5 in South East IpswichCentral IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 89 views.

8. dan5

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichApr 25, 2017 with 6 replies and 124 views.

9. dan5

TTL HELL!!!

by dan5 in North East IpswichCentral IpswichDec 7, 2017 with 4 replies and 45 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Wine Rack Apartments: taxpayer funded profit

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 30, 2017 with 7 replies and 130 views.