Connexions 159

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. OP
    OP
    dan5

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

Sunday afternoon i think it was, I visited Staples and saw a couple of people looking like they were going in the front door, or coming out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

I do hope...

Might have been a viewing. Should be very pricey with such high grade of accommodation. As it is an Enterprise Zone, no chance of negotiating the price down or free rental period... but the landlord might have to consider something shortly. Possibly just a security inspection/look around.

Birketts is reportedly £18psf! I assume a similar price as Grade A accommodation

IF the same price psf... 44,646 x 18 = £803,628 per year for entire building. Approx £67k per month, likely to have VAT applied on top... no business rates however.

Smallest suite available of 8,540 sqft is £153,720 per year. (£184,464 w/VAT, parking spaces likely additional?)

Add staff on top of that... starts getting really pricey. This is why many employers are happy with less high grade office accommodation. It can be done but cuts into your profits. Savings can be made by paying your staff less but then you will lose out on talent.

I do hope at least one half of a floor has been taken... should boost confidence in the centre.

Why on earth they don't use the windows to advertise its vacant?! I do not know. People can obviously tell it is empty... To let boards look desperate but you can always use window vinyl...

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Original Connexions 159 design:-

159_Princes_St_4_storey_without_trees_Mar04.jpg

Revised "2014" Connexions 159 design:-

Connections-159-2014.jpg
      And site plan (2014)...

connexions159-siteplan2014.JPG

• OP
      OP
      dan5

I went past today... there is a new sign outside on the Princes Street side of the building - 2 signs facing either directions - not sure how new this is, but I hadn't recognised it before. Doubt it is too new.

Lights on in one part, looks like they are cleaning the floor... not sure if a tenant is incoming, or just a new drive by estate agents to sell/lease the office block.

• martinc

martincFounder Member

i think there's been lights on 1 floor for ages. Not been past after dark but noticed it during the day a couple of times.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Yes, I have noticed that too.

I assume it is a trick just like leaving the landing/hallway/porch light on or the TV on when you go out.

If someone has enough capital (own funds, investor, bank loan etc) and the initiative to be able to setup a business or to maintain a business... I don't think this would remotely work. If someone takes a floor/unit, the rest will begin to be filled in no time (probably a year in total - not quick - but its over a year already without anyone signed up, let alone moved in)... anyone interested in such a building who is waiting for other occupiers first, are going to wait until they see a company logo/plaque/sign up, people/employees, furniture, cars in the car park round the back and the like you associate with an occupied office!

I suppose it could always get converted into a hotel in 2 years time if SCC isn't interested on taking it on :D

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Was looking at Google Maps for unrelated matters, and stumbled across this...

connexions-159-estate-agent-07932-758886-Paul-Birchall.png

Despite saying commercial property estate agent... on the map it shows an accommodation icon. Are they thinking of converting these into residential? Big blow to the Princes Street office corridor if they are. I hadn't noticed this showing on the map before, although the 4-star rating is from a year ago.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

Local press has reported a Suffolk based technology company has obtained the ground floor of Connexions 159. The difficulty of attracting a blue chip was solely down to the county being full of small technology businesses and no perceived top-level talent.

If you can locate in a city with competitors despite higher office and staffing costs, when you are a big business you can afford these costs, you know the talent either already lives within the catchment area or opportunities exist for relocation, and when the talent gets alienated from the competitor business you can tempt the highly skilled workers across. Same if they are having redundancies.

Within Ipswich (the borough at least) very limited AB social classification (although most live to the north of the town and commute in) and even if living costs are much cheaper, who will relocate here? If you were to leave your job, you would need to move back it is a lot of hassle.

The Suffolk tech economy as I see it, is mostly entrepreneurs that either haven't worked for these high disciplined blue chip companies but are skilled nevertheless or have left working for the blue chip employer and want to setup in business. It works, we should be more proud of our Suffolk businesses.

• OP
      OP
      dan5

I went past today and they are offering incentives.

New boards up outside (might have been for a couple of weeks) and are utilising windows to stick vinyl advertisements promoting the office space.

I wonder if they have read IPSWI... (back in July I said ...)

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichApr 28, 2017 with 5 replies and 411 views.

2. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 25 views.

3. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 84 views.

4. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 74 views.

5. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 209 views.

6. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 305 views.

7. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 at 8:12 PM with 2 replies and 50 views.

8. dan5

Bramford Road closed until at least January 2018

by dan5 in Norwich RoadCentral IpswichDec 6, 2017 with 1 replies and 81 views.

9. dan5

Futura Park: Another car dealership (with MOT testing) destined for Crane Blvd

by dan5 in South East IpswichCentral IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 90 views.

10. dan5

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichApr 25, 2017 with 6 replies and 124 views.