Cardinal Park leisure terrace

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Jan 2, 2018.

1. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Ipswich is getting a new restaurant complex... actually Cardinal Park is to fight back against Buttermarket Centre with a face-lift along with outside seating. The existing leisure complex terrace attempt at a futuristic look has always looked pretty terrible, which has become so awkwardly terrible like the vacant Odeon building.

This surely has to look better than the existing mess? I don't think the al-fresco dinning works here but others may appreciate the opportunity to have a cheeky cigarette outside and the ability to keep an eye on your car against theft and criminal damage. I don't like the frontage of the restaurants being obscured in this way... this is exaggerated further with the logo signage above at first and second floor levels. The diversity of brands doesn't help this design concept one bit. Looks a mess.

This design does give better height. I don't think they will pull off the slanted wood effect. The logo is inspired by Greater Anglia which cannot really win over any fans. I am not sold on the background central focus behind their logo or on the ends.... what is that about? Even the parking meters and tariff boards look out of place.

The bookshelf ends bin-stores (actually fire exits) look ridiculous... not much you can do, the fire exits cannot be removed. To remove the non-restaurant entity (i.e. the cinema) from the equation of identity misses the point. Why would you have it facing onto a car park and not the cinema?! I suppose we have to accept it as a positive being Ipswich...
    cardinal-park-outside-seating-view.png
    Strangely enough the view doesn't include the 31 metal bollards...
    cardinal-park-outside-seating-plan.png
    I think the entrances are too cluttered.
    cardinal-park-outside-seating-view-night.png Looks no better at night.

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. wrightie

wrightieFounder Member

How long will it be before either cardinal park or the Buttermarket will become a ghost town, or both suffer. Must admit it looks slightly better, except the upper floor entrances look atrocious, but why? There is literally no need. If Bankside grafton Way is built, six new restaurants, then what? If the waterfront gateway is developed, probably more food outlets.Cardinal park is in a brilliant location for a mixed used, mid density development to aid the waterfront and princes street development. Probably way too optimistic. Some wooden shutters nailed to a wall will have to do I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • OP
      OP
      dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

It might all depend on whether Buttermarket Centre gets away with their car park woes...

You can tell Cardinal Park owners L&G (?) are worried about Buttermarket Centre and Bankside... as they have found the need to improve (even slightly) their small row of eateries... I would prefer a joint development across both sites, just keep the cinema, and do everything from scratch! Ipswich needs nightlife but drop the nightclub from the regeneration plans.

More like this

Title
    RepliesViews
    Last Message
    1. dan5

Cardinal Park leisure terrace

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJan 2, 2018 with 2 replies and 59 views.

2. dan5

Tessuti Real Fur: Ongoing protests outside Tessuti Ipswich Westgate Street

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 23, 2017 with 2 replies and 100 views.

3. dan5

Waterfront Regeneration

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 with 4 replies and 97 views.

4. dan5

Look inside the new Pret for Ipswich Cornhill

by dan5 in CornhillCentral IpswichNov 1, 2017 with 1 replies and 182 views.

5. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 10, 2017 with 3 replies and 100 views.

6. dan5

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichApr 28, 2017 with 7 replies and 526 views.

7. martinc

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by martinc in Town CentreCentral IpswichDec 14, 2017 with 1 replies and 56 views.

8. dan5

Suffolk Highways: The Havens roundabout works

by dan5 in Ransomes EuroparkCentral IpswichNov 9, 2017 with 6 replies and 121 views.

9. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 105 views.

10. dan5

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 254 views.