Buttermarket: Big Issue Seller Needs To Go

Discussion in 'Central Ipswich' started by dan5, Aug 10, 2017.

1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

A Big Issue seller has secured her place over the last goodness knows how many years at the Ancient House crossroads. The informal route vertically down is Dial Lane and St Stephens Lane (both of which made up the proposed "The Link" thoroughfare). To be fair more than one seller has been seen here.

The police, borough and Ipswich Central have looked the other way. Big Issue street vendors are seen as a social venture and lets not distort the truth... they seem friendly although insincere with their politeness.

What is the (big) issue?
    • People are challenged as they walk by (if I stood in the same place every day and said hello to the same people, it would be seen as harassment)
    • People are forced to dodge the big issue seller. (doing so they don't enjoy the environment)
    • Their appearance annoys people. (again?! Really not sold a single copy? Restocked?)
    • In many peoples minds they are nothing short but a beggar (please sir, I am only homeless but not)
    • Unauthorised street trading (Everyone else needs a licence. If I sold postcards, the police would remove me. The council would fine me)
    It is bad for them to be outside Sainsburys and other locations, but that strategic point, where everyone cuts down... looks really bad for the town.

I would hate to think what a tourist would think if being pursued by an magazine seller!

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Grafton Way Proposal

by dan5 in Ipswich WaterfrontCentral IpswichOct 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM with 6 replies and 76 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 65 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationCentral IpswichOct 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM with 8 replies and 45 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 93 views.

5. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 21 replies and 149 views.

6. dan5

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 123 views.

7. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 151 views.

8. dan5

Rail Safety: Greater Anglia guards open wrong doors

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichOct 4, 2017 with 1 replies and 31 views.

9. dan5

Greater Anglia Guard Strike

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichOct 3, 2017 with 2 replies and 29 views.

10. dan5

Cornhill Dig

by dan5 in Central IpswichCentral IpswichSep 13, 2017 with 8 replies and 86 views.