Ipswich Star Another £5m to be spent on town roadworks in wake of Travel Ipswich

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Sep 8, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

Just months after the last section of Travel Ipswich was completed, Suffolk County Council has been given a £5m war chest to carry out more improvements around the town.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Cannot even deal with the weeds along busy non-trunk A roads.

This won't be good news. It is £5m of more destruction of Ipswich... Travel Ipswich 2.0!

4. dan5

5. martinc

martincFounder Member

6. dan5

They will wreck the roads further. I am compiling a speculate list of what they will do. The roundabout in Nacton Road where it meets Landseer Road will have to become traffic lights... not sure if they will do it with this money or the vanity bridge funds. It is too much of a bottleneck.

7. martinc

martincFounder Member

It certainly did touch a nerve! They can give me the money.... I'll spend it on things that really need doing and not on pointless tinkering with perfectly OK roads and junctions. What is getting to me more and more is that once they finish these projects they do nothing at all to look after them.. I know I go on about weeds but surely new paving should not end up full of weeds after a few months. So either it's not being done properly in first place or they have no maintenance plans. Either way it's a failure of the system.... My guess is SCC do the work, hand it over to IBC to look after who can't afford to do it, and we end up with new works looking scruffier than they often did before they spent the money. The local government of Ipswich has to change, anyone can see that, but why is Ellesmere not pushing for it?

8. dan5

The weeds is a perfectly valid complaint - it isn't advanced upkeep that will be really expensive... it is basic maintenance but neither council cares about it. Until we have a Unitary Authority both councils hold the responsibility for Ipswich even for areas outside their remit in my eyes... everything is tangled up. For example, SCC undertakes permit parking zones etc. but it is the borough that enforces it. A lot of local government works like that in a two tier system and it confuses people. Another good example is how SCC is the highways authority (i.e Suffolk Highways) but IBC is responsible for it where there is housing.

I have a few suggestions of what they might do with that money... Travel Ipswich It is all speculative, I have a few more to add to it.

I am not sure. I don't think he is as bright as many would give him credit for. His job (loyalty marketing software development SaaS- unless I am very mistaken) at the waterfront would give you the impression he is really intelligent. He must be, but I don't think anyone would understand him. He has acquired land outside the borough boundary with a master-plan for it to be developed... yet, why had he not intended to widen the borough boundaries? ...this isn't to say a Unitary Authority or to go as far as Orwell Ahead/Mark Ling to Felixstowe... or at least Greater Ipswich... His predecessor is also to blame.

The sugar beet factory site (despite some housing applications over the years) was a bit of contaminated wasteland. I doubt they would have cared too much for IBC to slightly widen the borough boundary to include that bit of land. I expect in South West and South East Ipswich, it would be an entirely different ball game with the housing stock and supermarkets.

I think they are scared and aware of their limitations. IBC for a while (regardless of controlling political party) have been very much about a small town mentality. We seem to forget we are the county town - it only gets mentioned in the context of an accolade title and not as it should be, a central city-like hub regardless of city status. The Labour borough are only too aware of the county being more Tory as you leave Ipswich, so I guess they see boundary expansion as political suicide. As sugar beet factory site being allocated as Sproughton Enterprise Park (not employment land surely as its outside their borough boundary remit) they are not going to attract Tory voters to live there... except this may happen with the Northern Fringe.

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich hits back at claims parking is costly for Christmas shopping

by dan5 in Ipswich Borough CouncilIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM with 1 replies and 5 views.

2. dan5

Green light expected for new business park at Ipswich sugar beet site at Sproughton

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

3. dan5

Do you remember when Virgin mogul Richard Branson came to town in 1998?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

4. dan5

Drum and Monkey pub in Ipswich set to come down early next year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM with 1 replies and 7 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk brewers Adnams stirs up Ipswich fans by praising “Mighty Norwich City”

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM with 3 replies and 13 views.

6. dan5

Word on the Street: What did you think of the Ipswich Christmas lights switch-on?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

7. dan5

Ipswich Icons: The Ipswich Society

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM with 1 replies and 14 views.

8. dan5

Reports of up to 10 vehicles involved in crash on Orwell Bridge westbound

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road in Ipswich to CLOSE at Norwich Road junction this evening over concerns...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM with 1 replies and 21 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM with 1 replies and 12 views.