Amazing spaces - Shed of the year - Ipswich

Discussion in 'Activities & Social' started by wrightie, Sep 10, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. wrightie

wrightieNew Member

Ipswich has a long maritime history, yet its not celebrated, bar a few hidden displays. This is a clip from Amazing Spaces, shed of the year (wasted about 20 minutes sorting out a YouTube upload, turns out its blocked only in the UK !!!! Uploaded to dailymotion instead).

A shed, dedicated to the craft of rope making and celebration of maritime heritage. If only the waterfront had something like this on a larger scale... not just about rope making. It does not even have to be large. Somewhere that is actually proud of maritime heritage. Spoilers,
    Unfortunately he didnt win beaten by a recreation of a 1940's police station

• Informative Informative x 1
      Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
    • dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

I thought it was a joke. Never heard of the place... 20 years?!

The Museum – Des Pawson

Really impressive and it is a shame he wasn't at the Maritime Festival!

Des is awarded an MBE – Des Pawson for works to ropeworking. He was at Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival the other year...

The female presenter seemed over-the-moon... maybe she loves rope :D Absolutely amazing town, never knew about this place... still don't know where it is located... just his shed? Why isn't this at the waterfront? Or near Rope Walk?! That old electricity substation at the waterfront which is now a bike place... could have been flattened and had a small museum there. Quirky.

• Like Like x 1
      • OP
        OP
        wrightie

wrightieNew Member

His website says Wherstead road. Des Pawson – An expert in knot tying I'm pretty sure there is a warehouse next door in the video near the start 0:15 - 0:29. Definately could be on the waterfront though, I never even heard of it, looking through his website - amazing. Makes you wonder how many place like this are in the town that get no coverage or attention.

• dan5

A google search 501 Wherstead Road Ipswich IP2 8LL - Google Search shows it as the same address as Ipswich Maritime Trust. I didn't view the homepage lol

This has puzzled me. Surely the maritime trust would have pushed this... in August 2017 it was 20 years...

• OP
        OP
        wrightie

wrightieNew Member

As it turns out, Des Pawson is vice chairman of the maritime trust.
        About Us

• Useful Useful x 1
        • martinc

martincMember

yeah, I'm very familiar with Des, the guy with the big white beard who gets involved in all sort of waterfront stuff including the museum window, often seen in local media. I think the knot museum is just his "private" shed isn't it, maybe stretched the description a bit for the tv..

• dan5

Yeah it is a shed and I think the "museum" is by invitation only, so I don't expect queues of people walking through his house to go visit the shed... but I think you will agree if we put it side by side to the MSLR... if something like this had a proper home, it would have a niche following.

I did a Google search and it has been noted in a few places before this TV programme...

Ipswich Historic Lettering: Ropewalks

Museum of Knots and Sailor's Ropework

Museum of Knots and Sailor’s Ropework – Suffolk Museums

And of course the Ipswich Icons feature in Ipswich Star..

Ipswich Icons: Have you visited Ipswich’s museum of knots? Find out more about town’s rope-making past

• martinc

martincMember

would you like to come and visit the important collection of plastic flower pots in my shed? By invitation only, but its world class. I even have the very rare Optipot LR2, 2 litre in blue!

• Funny Funny x 1