Ipswich Star Abp Boss Hails Ipswich Maritime Festival As ‘fantastic’ Success

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Aug 23, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

A port boss has hailed Ipswich’s Viking-themed maritime festival as a great success.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

From Ipswich? Join the Ipswich Community today!

Get involved in the online Ipswich Community to enter our competition to win £250.
    We would love to hear your views on this topic. Read the T&Cs.

• Common discussions include the economy, local politics, Northern Bypass, unitary authority, homelessness, Upper Orwell Crossings, crime, and potholes.
    • Comment on Ipswich Star news articles without strict moderation

2. Loading...

3. martinc

martincFounder Member

by what are they measuring this "success" ? I've not read the article, but if its just on footfall maybe, but if its by satisfied consumers of Viking culture its a dismal flop..

4. martinc

martincFounder Member

OK so I read it now. First of all I think the viking photo is from another year or at least they were not the "official" vikings, , that lot were not there when I was there, not a horny helmet in sight.

Second is says there were over 2500 visitors! Have we not been told by the very same newspaper it was around 60000? Quality reporting and editing... :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. dan5

dan5Founder MemberStaff Member

Power of the written word, the event is so forgettable... currently all people can remember are the fireworks and the food stalls... give it a month... they will totally forget it. If the joint organisers can stick in an biased bit of PR, it will remain on the record as a successful event... the locals who can remember will take it with a pinch of salt... but to outsiders the local press is the official record where no other government records are kept. I think they fall short when people wonder why we aren't more highly regarded, and subsequently discard the propaganda.

I am not sure if they mean 2500 people coming from outside the borough? Or whether they counted roughly 2500 people at the peak of the event and then multiplied it by the number of hours the event ran for.

Ipswich Society members weren't too pleased with the lack of maritime theme: https://ipswi.com/community/threads/ipswich-society-more-maritime-festival-please.6548/

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich hits back at claims parking is costly for Christmas shopping

by dan5 in Ipswich Borough CouncilIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM with 1 replies and 5 views.

2. dan5

Green light expected for new business park at Ipswich sugar beet site at Sproughton

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

3. dan5

Do you remember when Virgin mogul Richard Branson came to town in 1998?

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 7:06 AM with 1 replies and 8 views.

4. dan5

Drum and Monkey pub in Ipswich set to come down early next year

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM with 1 replies and 7 views.

5. dan5

Suffolk brewers Adnams stirs up Ipswich fans by praising “Mighty Norwich City”

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM with 3 replies and 13 views.

6. dan5

Word on the Street: What did you think of the Ipswich Christmas lights switch-on?

by dan5 in Word on the StreetIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM with 3 replies and 24 views.

7. dan5

Ipswich Icons: The Ipswich Society

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM with 1 replies and 14 views.

8. dan5

Reports of up to 10 vehicles involved in crash on Orwell Bridge westbound

by dan5 in Orwell BridgeIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM with 1 replies and 18 views.

9. dan5

Bramford Road in Ipswich to CLOSE at Norwich Road junction this evening over concerns...

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM with 1 replies and 21 views.

10. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed

by dan5 in Latest Ipswich NewsIpswich NewsNov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM with 1 replies and 12 views.