A Commentary On Ipswich’s Dire Planning And Lack Of Ambition

Discussion in 'Local Politics' started by dan5, Jul 29, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

The Link Development – A commentary on Ipswich’s dire planning and lack of ambition

Another brilliant insight into the whole Ipswich fiasco, on The Ipswich Proposal website. The following are snippets hopefully to tempt you into reading the entire article - well worth a read! These are just brief snippets but quite a few of them. (My commentary in between, feel free to comment below and on TIP website)

Of complete irony, all of the development has been happening outside of Ipswich Waterfront. Sailmakers Shopping Centre and Buttermarket Centre, Anglia Retail Park, Rosehill Retail Centre, Cardinal Park, Mutual House, Connexions 159, Birketts HQ, the retirement homes etc... the only work going on in the waterfront location was the flood barrier, preliminary works for the Upper Orwell Crossings and Pizza Express getting a brief makeover.

I agree. Our view on the previous planned scheme: The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

Ideally the Ipswich Waterfront needs to be half the distance away and without a busy road going through the part in between. Unless they are going to reroute the Star Lane gyratory over the river, demolish all the Ipswich waterfront buildings and build a new wet dock further North... with new quayside a row along the north pavement of Star Lane... it just isn't going to happen.

As for the axis switch,... for my view on the unnatural path between North and South read this article
    How incompetent can local government really be for Ipswich?

They decided against this as being too ambitious and relying solely on St Peter Street as the link... with the independent traders. It is awful to get to!

Everyone gets older (unless you die beforehand) so it is a sure-thing there will always be demand for such accommodation. There is an awful lot of money in it too. I just wish they chose somewhere like Felixstowe to build them (or convert existing large building). Much nicer location for the retired people than crime-ridden Ipswich.

You will always get mixed demographics in neighbourhoods to a certain degree.

Students are annoying! The last time I was at the waterfront, I was heading west just south of the question mark... there was a group of about 20 students... heading in my direction, behind me... one was loud and trying to impress the group, to their credit (the rest of them) they ignored him. A few really embarrassed with the people around them. Which only incited his ways. Already superseding what I said, most students are fine, just a small but noticeable number can really destroy the atmosphere. I don't understand why anyone would want to live or visit there to put up with that. If you want the place to be like a student bar, you don't want to pay location premium for your food or drink... you want a discount! :D

Working class and middle class can live side by side surprisingly enough. I do consider the mix at the waterfront as not going to work. If you are paying £600+ pcm for a flat, you do not want to have such disruptions... if it was a cheaper location, you might tolerate it. Far too close to students... the prestigious waterfront location is A* class, privately owned blah blah... but it cannot live up to that image. You cannot get away from the road infrastructure surrounding it (which will increase with the vanity bridge)

Rule of Thumb: Side-by-side works, mixed up doesn't...

There isn't enough social housing and there isn't enough affordable homes either.

The uni will influence higher residential home prices - so Ipswich's traditional resident (working class and without a further education) will struggle.

Bad zoning. The university should have been built at the Northern Fringe - it would also boost public transport not only the rail station nearby but bus services could also link up with Otley etc.

You cannot argue over the lovely backdrop the waterfront (the developed part at least) gives the main uni building (although most is delivered across the county and Great Yarmouth through network colleges) but their ambition of growth is reflected around the waterfront which has stalled severely.

No evidence so far to suggest any non-housing development for the island site. No developers lining up to build housing there either... but a number are planning to build homes elsewhere in and outside the borough.

I fear they won't ever drop it - could be 50 years! :eek:

I totally agree. I liked the statement about the early anticipation for housing and tourism, before sliding away from tourism to education. So true. Despite attracting so many day visitors by coach in the school holidays, there still isn't a tourist attraction at Ipswich Waterfront.

I hope they do the right thing and develop the island site for a nice quayside park - with cafe and restaurants in parts. It could be really beautiful with some flower arranging. it could be a tourist attraction in its own right.

Suffolk Conservatives are severely hazardous to Ipswich. Nothing saying if Labour controlled the county (MPs, county council majority and PCC) that they would be any better for Ipswich.

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

More like this

Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 64 views.

2. dan5

Ipswich Station forecourt nominated for award

by dan5 in Railway StationLocal PoliticsOct 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM with 8 replies and 40 views.

3. dan5

Ipswich Star changes its comments facility

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsJun 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 62 views.

4. dan5

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 90 views.

5. dan5

IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUST (I-AM)

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsFeb 15, 2017 with 2 replies and 34 views.

6. dan5

Sandy Martin

by dan5 in Local PoliticsLocal PoliticsMay 6, 2017 with 24 replies and 89 views.

7. dan5

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsSep 8, 2017 with 21 replies and 149 views.

8. dan5

Majors Corner traffic light failure

by dan5 in Ipswich Traffic GridlockLocal PoliticsOct 10, 2017 with 6 replies and 52 views.

9. dan5

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 122 views.

10. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichLocal PoliticsJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 150 views.