Ipswich Star £5 million improvements for five of Ipswich’s busiest road junctions

Discussion in 'Ipswich News' started by newsbot, Sep 18, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. newsbot

newsbotMember

A £5million package of improvements has been put forward for five of Ipswich’s most congested junctions.

Continue reading... on Ipswich Star

Welcome to the new IPSWI beta!
  2. Loading...

3. dan5

dan5ModeratorStaff Member

Yes, I was spot on. To make way for the Upper Orwell Crossings route the roundabout is going ... Travel Ipswich 2.0: Nacton Road / Landseer Road traffic lights They are blocking off Rands Way too as predicted to allow this to happen.

Foxhall Road and Felixstowe Road roundabouts I didn't include as thought developers of Adastral Park housing was paying for this as stated in the planning documents (or maybe they are funding this £5m fund in whole or part)

The remaining two junctions are Clapgate Lane and Maryon Road on Landseer Road and Nacton Road respectfully... to support Upper Orwell Crossings route.

4. martinc

martincMember

ffs, chuck another £5m in to make more traffic go slow but let the weeds still grow....

5. dan5

what I found interesting is they refer to it as the Landseer Road/Rands Way junction. Are they also going to rename the street?

5 projects for £5m, they knew what they were going to do. This is a disaster for Ipswich. The two upgraded roundabouts will be 6-12 months of travel disruption. There is no alternative routes, it will be mayhem!

They must be removing the tree etc at the junction. I don't think the junction could be adequately widened to handle the traffic to and from the vanity bridge.

6. martinc

martincMember

I wasnt aware of an issue at the Landseer Road, Nacton Road, Rands Way junction, its a roundabout, it always seem to flow well to me. Is not the hold up in Nacton Road at the newish traffic lights at the Maryon Road junction?

So what happened to the improvements planned for the junction of Woodbridge Road and Argyle Street? Have they now completely shelved that one, its was muted as part of Travel Ipswich all along.

This all really does beggar belief, this money just seems to fall from the sky and off they go and do some more tinkering, never really achieving much, and all now with out the slightest bit of engagement with the public, how the hell do they get away with that? Are they obliged to keep pumping money into their pet contractors is that it? Does the man at Kier give SCC a ring one day and say "hey we have a bit of capacity coming up, what you got for us?" and then suddenly out of the blue along come a load more pointless sets of roadworks in Ipswich.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • dan5

Back in Ipswich now, appears my phone didn't submit my reply.

There isn't any problem with the junction but they have a new shiny multi-million pound taxpayers funded toy (UTMC)... they would want to hook up every traffic light signals they possibly can, to it. They would want to eliminate interference from Rands Way, which is never too busy and hardly delays the rest of the traffic.

Argyle Street... trashed.

It is a significant point. They needed planning permission for redesigning Cornhill on public highway and have a similar process for UOCs - but neither of these 5 projects of busy important junctions will go before planners... and this isn't so relevant as they would put it through anyway. So we aren't talking about a utility company digging up the road to install or replace a pipe or cable... or resurfacing a road... but replacing a roundabout for traffic lights including remodelling the entire junction... 3 of the 5 projects are major junctions and require remodelling as part of the works.

Where do they get the authority to do these works (other than they are the council) and why do other projects require the planning consent?

Kier's turnover has increased 5% courtesy of SCC.

• dan5

Not going to be so pretty in South East Ipswich soon...

travelipswich2mayhemmap.png
      If you live in the area or work at Ransomes Europark... it is going to be a nightmare.

Think of the rat runs (and official diversions even!)

I assume they will wait until after the bridge works are done... probably in 2018... but there is a good chance the bridge will be closed whilst these works are happening at some point.

Public transport will suffer greatly. For example, all of Ipswich Buses East Ipswich routes uses these main road junctions.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • wrightie

wrightieNew Member

• dan5

Here we go...
        travelipswich2ipswichbusesmap.png
        • (X2: Not directly affected)
        • X3: Affected by Landseer Road/Nacton Road roundabout removal works and Maryon Road junction upgrade. I assume the diversion route would be Ransome Road to Felixstowe Road to Ransomes Way to Waitrose and then back. This misses out the Tesco Express and rest of Nacton Road.
        • X1: Affected by Landseer Road/Nacton Road roundabout removal works and Clapgate Lane junction upgrade. Diversion route, unknown.
        • X5: Affected by Foxhall Road roundabout upgrade. Heath Lane for diversion? Mayhem!
        • 4: Affected by St Augustines roundabout upgrade and Foxhall Road roundabout upgrade. Diversion likely to avoid Foxhall Road roundabout by dropping that part of the route when applicable. I assume Derby Road diversion through to Bixley Road when St Augustines roundabout is closed off.
        • 6/6A: Affected by St Augustines roundabout upgrade, Foxhall Road roundabout upgrade and Clapgate Lane upgrade. Diversion route is a nightmare.
        I have assumed that Suffolk Highways/Kier aren't evil enough to do all the roundabout works at once.