Town Centre

Town Centre

Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

Buttermarket Centre Car Park (Falcon Street) Traffic Queue Enforcement

by dan5 in Town CentreDec 10, 2017 with 3 replies and 61 views.

Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk County Council are sharing the cost of hiring two PCSOs between the times of 10am and 3pm on every Saturday leading up to the 23rd December 2017 to tackle unlawful obstruction of the road by people waiting to get into the Buttermarket Centre Car Park. We must praise the councils for doing something about the problem, however, 5 hours a week isn't really going to cut it. To be frank, it is all a bit of a...

Latest reply: What a joke.Police refuses to do their job which taxpayers pay them forBoth councils get involved to prevent problems with the bus loop getting congested, hire 2 x PCSOsSuffolk Constabulary accepts the payment to improve budget, dispatches...

2. dan5

Chopstix Noodle Bar to finally open this week!

by dan5 in Town CentreDec 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM with 0 replies and 20 views.

Chopstix has confirmed that the Chopstix Noodle Bar in Ipswich's Sailmakers will open this Tuesday the 19th December 2017.955Quite a few people have been desperately waiting for it to open. The previous open date was supposed to be in October.Chopstix has previously publicly claimed it was a delay due to the shopping centre.

3. dan5

Dogs Head Street: car drivers ignore prohibition

by dan5 in Town CentreDec 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM with 1 replies and 29 views.

Clive on twitter has complained about car drivers (probably from Buttermarket Centre car park) using Dogs Head Street - a road restricted to buses and taxis only. The shared photo shows the road full of cars ignoring signs disallowing them using that street. 941388794925912066

Latest reply: Has always been the case, I have seen it enforced but not for a long while. Before they rather inconsiderately put bollards across the bottom of the Bus Station to stop you entering from Turret Lane heading North it was in fact perfectly legal...

4. dan5

Past: huge debate about state of the town

by dan5 in Town CentreDec 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM with 0 replies and 16 views.

Star reader Angry Commuter wrote: “Yes town is horrible. Yes it is sad but there are many tatty boarded up shops and a collection of tents on the Cornhill that make it look like a shanty town.”Sarky Sage said: “I think most people have summed it up – the image was exactly how, after 60 plus years here, I see much of Ipswich.”Another added: “Unfortunately Ipswich has been on a downward slope for quite a while. The high street is littered...

5. dan5

91 vacant outlets in Ipswich Town centre

by dan5 in Town CentreNov 21, 2017 with 0 replies and 55 views.

According to GOAD 2017 (as part of the Sproughton Enterprise Park document submission) there are 91 vacant retail units in the town centre of Ipswich. This is 13.81% - one seventh - of the 659 total units (or outlets as it refers to) and is 18,850sqm of vacant space across 168,200sqm (11.2% as a percentage). Or one ninth. This is 202,900~sqft vacant in a total 1,810,490~sqft available. Figures aren't checked and quoted as is.842 Ipswich...

6. dan5

Late Night Shopping Ipswich Christmas

by dan5 in Town CentreNov 20, 2017 with 0 replies and 95 views.

From Thursday 16th November 2017 to Thursday 21st December 2017 shops open later for Late Night Shopping.Most shops will be open until at least 8pm. M&S, Debenhams, Buttermarket and Sailmakers will be open until 9pm.

7. dan5

Ipswich: A-Board Heaven

by dan5 in Town CentreNov 8, 2017 with 4 replies and 107 views.

Went in town today and saw an never-ending array of A-Boards across the town centre. Not just Tacket Street! Tacket Street can be provided (just ask).Is this an festive decoration? No mention of this from Ipswich Society on their Facebook page who appears to have not noticed this problem (despite mentioning this previously a couple of times when it wasn't as bad) - but did notice the changes at Crown House and an change of owner for Mambos...

Latest reply: They did respond saying it was down to SCC. I knew this, they are the Highways Authority, so any obstructions would be down to them. However, the untidiness of them falls with IBC I believe (planning authority - A-boards are implied consent but...

8. martinc

Why won't Adnams open a shop in Ipswich?

by martinc in Town CentreNov 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 73 views.

When I get the opportunity I've asked them this question on Facebook and Twitter. They've replied saying they're looking. But come on, plenty of places they could go, they could even set up in Debenhams perhaps over the Christmas period. Look all around Suffolk and you will find dedicated Adnams Shops in Bury St Edmunds, Woodbridge, Felixstowe, Hadleigh and announced this morning another new shop in Norwich! Plus plenty more beyond, Adnams...

Latest reply: I tried to find out...811 Google appears to be picking up articles much faster now! Although I am quite appreciative of this it doesn't help me find much these days when ipswi pops up. :D They seem to quite like promotional bits about the...

9. dan5

Ipswich Homelessness Crisis

by dan5 in Town CentreOct 26, 2017 with 6 replies and 84 views.

It is about time we had a dedicated post to all things homelessness for Ipswich Town Centre.National Audit Office claims homelessness up 134% since 2010.Homeless charity Crisis states they expect rough sleeping to rise by 76% over the next decade.Ipswich Town Centre has a growing number of rough sleepers which isn't being tackled by the authorities.Something needs to be done about it. I am not sure what we can do, none of the agencies...

Latest reply: Any updates? Has the problem been solved yet?

10. dan5

Local Plan 1997: Why is the town centre dead?

by dan5 in Town CentreOct 22, 2017 with 0 replies and 27 views.

As part of bold proposals to link the town to the waterfront, the borough council undertook some surprising moves into dismantling the town into the ground to ensure footfall would flow to the wet dock. 729 We already know the displacement of public sector workers and facilities decreased footfall in the extreme ends of the town centre. Ipswich Borough Council Civic Centre, Suffolk County Council County Hall and St Edmund House, the Elm St...

Thread Display Options