Oldest English Town | Ipswich Jobs |

Town Centre (Central Ipswich)

This covers Central Ipswich - Ipswich Town Centre including the political wards of Alexandra, St Margarets and Westgate - and for all intents and purposes the Ipswich Central BID (Business Improvement District) area, "Ipswich Village" and the Ipswich Waterfront (quayside only).

Sort By:
Title ↓
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

WI to take over Ipswich Museum

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Feb 25, 2017 with 0 replies and 10 views.

New Women’s Institute group, Cake & Revolution, is holding a special “black tie” event at Ipswich Museum next week.The group, which professes to be "more prosecco and body confidence than jam and Jerusalem”, won a competition to take over the Museum for a night and is now preparing for the unique event on Thursday 2nd March.The WI members and guests will be sharing the space with Museum icons Rosie, Wool-I-Am and other attractions....

2. dan5

Why Is That Grade A Office Block Still Empty?

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 28 views.

You know the one I am talking about, Connexions 159 in Princes Street. Why is it still empty?Tempting fate mentioning this when an inward tenant could be signed up at any moment - unlikely - but surely possible... and most definitely welcomed, there is certain things about it which strikes me as fatal mistakes to make when taking on relatively big projects such as this one. I am not in the property game so I don't know what I am talking...

3. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Aug 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 15 views.

A project which has been in the background for many years and formally adopted in 2015. A joint venture between Suffolk County Council and University of Suffolk, there has been some significant attempt by both relevant local councils - Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk County Council - into off-loading council assets gifted to the struggling new university. Ipswich Museum & Art School was one of them - to have been developed as what would...

4. Ipswi

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by Ipswi in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Apr 25, 2017 with 4 replies and 56 views.

Archant's old offices in Lower Brook Street were to be turned into "The Link" - an architecturally brilliant mixed office, retail, leisure, hotel and multi-storey car park development. Penn Commercial as agent and Wrenbridge as developer. Not an greyfriars disaster. Except, aiming for the floor, Ipswich is to get retirement housing development instead. The Link wasn't that ambitious. CGI drawings hint at a Waitrose on ground floor. £20m of...

Latest reply: Everything planned which is the "breath of fresh air", exciting and something to be ambitious about, either doesn't make it past the idea stage or gets considerably changed before it is implemented. The council scares a lot of businesses away...

5. dan5

Stoke Bridge Buoy: Hope For Regeneration Or Distraction?

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 25 views.

Stoke Bridge buoy has been painted - looking very bright - is this a plaster over the dive of an area? Or is it a sign that the council is starting to take the area seriously?1693340017628776No doubt this has been painted ready for the Maritime Festival. I hope they will litter-pick first this year!(I would volunteer to help enhance the image of Ipswich... although the council should be doing this)

6. dan5

Star Lane Gyratory: Bridge Street

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Apr 6, 2017 with 0 replies and 12 views.

I was situated in a Chinese Buffet for a cheap eat at lunchtime as I haven't been in many many years; and was shocked at the view from outside the window.I always felt the traffic lights so close to the roundabouts was a silly idea - in particular the first one on Star Lane.The traffic lights stopped traffic approximately every 30 seconds... which gridlocked the entire twin roundabouts on several occasions. Countless red light jumps.I...

7. dan5

Sailmakers Shopping Centre: Kiosk To Let

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Aug 16, 2017 with 0 replies and 12 views.

The Virgin Media Kiosk is To Let at Sailmakers Shopping Centre... it is yours on an existing 3 year lease of £20,000 pax. Mall space known as P2. Situated mid-mall on the lower level outside Topshop and close to Boots, Poundland and River Island.An existing 3 year lease without further review to expire 16th August 2019 but with tenant onlybreak 17th August 2018. 321 Existing lease? If Virgin Media are giving up after just one year......

8. dan5

Ranelagh Road Closure - Ipswich Railway Station forecourt improvement scheme

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Feb 20, 2017 with 9 replies and 14 views.

Ranelagh Road Closure (part) 10-weeks estimated for:- replacing traffic lightsupgrading street lightingNational Grid gas main worksnew bus and taxi sheltersreplacing road markings and signs on all three approaches to the stationresurfacing of the station forecourt area - bus and taxi lanesI wonder if the "replaced road markings" will result in pushed-back stop lines and introducing of ASL on Burrell Road and Princes Street. More...

Latest reply: Tuesday 28 February 201709:28 P&R was 4 minutes late. I got on the 09:40 Park and Ride service which diverted through Hadleigh Road. At the lights waiting to turn right into West End Road, an articulated lorry for AAH Pharmaceuticals jumped...

9. dan5

Rail Station Forecourt Complete With Shelters

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 38 views.

I haven't been that way for the last couple of weeks but according to the Ipswich Society, the Ipswich Railway Station forecourt project finally got completed 2 weeks ago! 86 Some points to notice...The undeniable evidence of police vehicles in the reflection of the bus shelters (3 police cars?)Very few people at the new bus shelterJust one "bus shelter" for the taxis... that wasn't to specification... looks silly.The faint contrast...

10. dan5

Rail Station bus shelters delayed due to installation problems

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)May 8, 2017 with 4 replies and 16 views.

Already many months overdue, another hurdle has been hit. The bus shelters due to be installed at the brand new renovated Ipswich Rail Station forecourt will not be installed until after the General Election! Perhaps, not until the Summer months.Street lighting, fencing and bus shelters are all pending projects, as the station forecourt remains incomplete and unfinished.Ben Gummer was able to influence additional trees to be installed...

Latest reply: I just noticed your second comment after I posted... interesting how we both used the same word to describe it... shambles.I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just have a few more trees and some more of the slab benching.

11. dan5

Police Advice: Use public transport when bridge is shut!

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Feb 22, 2017 with 5 replies and 13 views.

Such an out-of-touch suggestion by the police for motorists to use public transport instead of their car for a closed Orwell Bridge!https://twitter.com/IpsCentPolice/status/834460040585236488Our response:https://twitter.com/NorthernBypass/status/834461224582647808https://twitter.com/NorthernBypass/status/834461946401476615It is never practical to use public transport on congested roads... I understand the concept that if everyone...

Latest reply: Ipswich Buses Ltd lost Managing Director Jeremy Cooper and Finance Director Julie Dyson after they both quit the company. I believe they have a caretaker MD whilst operations are run by Operations Manager Andrew Cook.I am not sure if Jeremy...

12. dan5

Pizza Express Ipswich Waterfront Makeover

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 6, 2017 with 0 replies and 24 views.

Ipswich Society has reported the Pizza Express restaurant has closed at Ipswich Waterfront for a makeover.Pizza Express is currently closed for a revamp which includes astro-turf on the York paving outside the restaurant. The restaurant is due to open again on Tuesday 11th July.1689263261369785Astro-turf al fresco dining? How bizarre!

13. wrightie

Old Post Office On The Cornhill To Be Retail?

by wrightie in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 3, 2017 with 1 replies and 83 views.

I heard something interesting about Next today. For the record, nothing is official and could just be rumours, though its probably just optimistic talk.Apparently Next are talking about a proposal that 'could' be submitted that will see Next wanting to occupy the Old Post Office building. Apparently they have wanted a store in the Cornhill area ever since they left Westgate Street a few years back. The Ipswich star stated this last year...

Latest reply: The idea of a cafe, coffee shop or restaurant in the Old Post Office building just shows how unimaginative and unambitious Ipswich Borough Council really is! It worked well with Arlingtons in what was the original Ipswich Museum building (giving...

14. dan5

Lloyds Avenue rejuvenation?

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Mar 17, 2017 with 5 replies and 12 views.

Penn Commercial has a brochure (property particulars) for the former pub in Lloyds Avenue with an artist impression of "A view of street montage that has been proposed for Lloyds Avenue" - is this actually a proposed design by the council or some nonsense the commercial estate agent has put together to get a client?I was only ever aware of the roof version of Lloyds Avenue being proposed (without substance - merely an idea without a...

Latest reply: Lloyds Avenue regeneration should have been included as part of the Cornhill plans.It is comical that the roads of Princes Street and Queen Street which didn't need tampering about with were redeveloped first. Actually, a lot of crossings in...

15. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Town Centre (Central Ipswich)Jul 6, 2017 with 2 replies and 37 views.

Ipswich Society reports that on Monday work will begin on paving Key Street. This will involve 12 weeks of roadworks - with Key Street having alternating closure of one lane while the work goes ahead. No doubt this not completely necessary work (the lack of weed control has created this problem) is a result of the Wine Rack plans and Quay Place renovation. After years of wrangling as to where the developer's boundary ends and Suffolk...

Latest reply: Further update (from Ipswich Society):-id=1693324810963630;type=videoThis work includes installing a Toucan Crossing which will not only give a pedestrian and cyclist crossing across Key Street but also help traffic trying to enter Key Street...

Thread Display Options

IPSWI beta