All about Ipswich Heritage Open Days
Random Thread
Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

Ipswich Festive Market

by dan5 in TourismJul 14, 2017 with 5 replies and 91 views.

The "Ipswich Festive Market" last year was extremely disappointing - despite promising to be better than ever.Earlier this year, I wrote to David Ellesmere at Ipswich Borough Council to suggest he allowed a consortium of businesses and the community to organise a special event - something which Ipswich Borough Council and Ipswich Central are incapable of doing. This has fell on deaf ears, with no further action taken. Maybe he took...

Latest reply: Commentary on this years market... Ipswich Festive Market 2017

2. dan5

Unlimited National Banger Championship Of The World

by dan5 in TourismOct 7, 2017 with 3 replies and 66 views.

Today is the Unlimited National Banger Championship Of The World at Foxhall Heath Stadium (Foxhall Stadium, and sometimes referred to as Foxhall International Raceway), which attracts thousands of visitors to the town. Other events at this stadium included the Brisca F1 World Final this year, Spedeweekend (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Speed weekend), National Hot Rod Championship of the World and Gala Night around fireworks night;...

Latest reply: I think it was a problem across much of Kesgrave, Bixley etc.I know the eastern part of Foxhall Road had cars parked either side of the road etc.They need to look for a parking solution longer term but I guess as it is quite infrequent people...

3. Ipswich

170 Years Of Ipswich Museums

by Ipswich in TourismAug 11, 2017 with 8 replies and 97 views.

The deadline for the Ipswich Museums/Ipswich Borough Council "Take Over Ipswich Museums" competition has passed. Ipswich Ltd has submitted an application for an ambitious celebration of Ipswich Heritage. We emailed [email protected] on Tuesday for an application form - without reply. Luckily we found an printed application form this morning which we scanned in, populated with text and emailed over! Whats the plan?With only space...

Latest reply: Yesterday afternoon, we finally got confirmation that we weren't successful:-Dear Daniel,Thank you for your application for the Community Takeover event with Ipswich Museums. On this occasion you have not been selected, thank you for taking...

4. dan5

Ipswich Society: More Maritime Festival Please!

by dan5 in TourismAug 23, 2017 with 0 replies and 51 views.

Reading a post from the Ipswich Society facebook with the following Ipswich Star article posted What Would You Like To See At Ipswich Maritime Festival If It Returns Next Year? raised some very interesting comments of future suggestions plus criticisms of the Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017... The reason why I stick more importance to Ipswich Society members (although nothing restricting non-members posting on their facebook page) is they...

5. dan5

Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017: Day Two

by dan5 in TourismAug 20, 2017 with 7 replies and 87 views.

Here are selected photos posted to Twitter for Day Two of Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017. (see Day One)372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379The images have been reduced in size for IPSWI. Thanks to the respective owners of these images for sharing on Twitter.

Latest reply: Glad you found it in the end. I totally agree I find the same problem. I was about to say go to your profile and use the link on there to see your content - which you need to do by right click your username link, new tab to prevent those on-page...

6. dan5

Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017: Fireworks

by dan5 in TourismAug 20, 2017 with 0 replies and 44 views.

The main event over the two days is of course the fireworks spectacular finale! 74hm9uWR-gACdg8w2A8aF4The above are the first two full versions uploaded to YouTube - more may follow, but that will do! So, I must comment... fireworks were good. I don't know why they don't utilise more of the island site to gave a little more width - maybe a metre or two either side. :D I think many people would leave and felt it was a good event. This...

7. dan5

Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017: Day One

by dan5 in TourismAug 20, 2017 with 2 replies and 59 views.

Here are selected photos posted to Twitter for Day One of Ipswich Maritime Festival 2017.341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 The images have been reduced in size for IPSWI. Thanks to the respective owners of these images for sharing on Twitter.

Latest reply: Part 3 (final) of Day One, images from Twitter...358 359 360 361 362 The images have been reduced in size for IPSWI. Thanks to the respective owners of these images for sharing on Twitter.

8. dan5

Arras Square: A Museum?

by dan5 in TourismAug 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 42 views.

Arras Square is now showing in Google Maps as a museum, to join Brand&Sons in Orwell Place which are neither of the sort.328 Any other strange sightings on Google Maps? I have chased the culprit to this website.

9. dan5

20 Positive Reasons To Be Cheerful About Ipswich

by dan5 in TourismAug 18, 2017 with 1 replies and 52 views.

John Field's (former town centre manager) reasons to be cheerful about Ipswich.1. It has a long and fascinating history, being the oldest continuously-inhabited English town, with over 650 listed buildings – one of the largest concentrations of historic buildings in East Anglia. These include such wonderful examples as Christchurch Mansion, the Ancient House, the Unitarian Meeting House, Isaacs and the large collection of full-blown...

Latest reply: (continued...)11. Although there are some empty shop units in the town centre, we must note that this is happening in all towns and cities throughout the country (and abroad) – in fact, our occupancy rate is slightly better than the average for...

10. dan5

Ipswich 2020 Enterprise Island

by dan5 in TourismMay 3, 2017 with 1 replies and 58 views.

This is a propaganda video unleashed on the Ipswich public shortly before the 2015 General Election which saw Ben Gummer re-elected.DR0jAS4z0z4As you can tell, the actual proposed Upper Orwell Crossing design is nothing like the designs revealed to public in the past - not limited to just this video. Another case of get the public interested, then modify the details with a Plan B.

Latest reply: We are beyond half-way through 2017... there is no chance "Enterprise Island" would be ready in 2020 - not even the beginning of that pie-in-the-sky project. No money allocated for the construction of buildings on the island and no plans. Nothing...

11. Ipswich

Tourism: Essential To Ipswich

by Ipswich in TourismJul 10, 2017 with 1 replies and 74 views.

An article from Ipswich Society:- http://www.ipswichsociety.org.uk/newsletter/newsletter-july-2017-issue-208/tourism-essential-to-ipswich/Heritage tourism is a vital part of the UK economy. In 2015, domestic and international tourists made 192 million trips to visit the UK’s cultural, historic and natural assets. They spent £17.5 billion while doing so. ‘Heritage tourism’ encompasses heritage attractions, such as castles, galleries and...

Latest reply: Exactly what I am getting at (with focus on Anglo Saxon history etc)... they say heritage tourism... I call it traditional tourism or simply tourism. How dare Ipswich Central and Greater Ipswich DMO promote a one-day leisure get-away when we...

12. Ipswi

Ipswich: shabby and rundown cesspit hell hole

by Ipswi in TourismApr 25, 2017 with 3 replies and 95 views.

Just over 5 years ago Ipswich callers phoned up a BBC Radio Suffolk breakfast show presented by current Ipswich Central chairman Terry Baxter to give their views on the town. Ben Gummer MP was shocked and angered over people commented on how "shabby and rundown" the town is with others going to extremes calling it a "cesspit" and "hell hole". Naturally the politicians didn't listen to the concerns and discarded comments as from a few negative...

Latest reply: Even with the controversial Cornhill project, this won't improve the state of the rest of the town centre.Unfortunately, none of the town's elite will listen to taxpayers and voters... it needs to be a well respected or well-known outsider to...

13. dan5

Rebuild Ipswich West Gate?

by dan5 in TourismJul 8, 2017 with 5 replies and 237 views.

Is it about time we rebuilt some (or one) of Ipswich's historical gates for tourism purposes?This is something I have been wanting to explore for some time but hitting a brick-wall with no real representation of what any of the three main gates looked like (east gate, west gate and north gate)... until I stumbled across a post on Ipswich Society's facebook page containing a picture of the replica West Gate built for the Golden Jubilee in...

Latest reply: 32 33

14. ipswichltd

Ipswich Day

by ipswichltd in TourismJun 29, 2017 with 0 replies and 55 views.

Ipswich Ltd will be organising Ipswich Day 2018 on 25th May 2018.Following the success of Suffolk Day, it is time the county town celebrated it's Royal Charter from 1200 with its own day. (818 years!)This will fall a few weeks before Suffolk Day 2018, which I am sure will continue. More details will be revealed by 6 months advance notice, if not before. The day aims to promote our history and culture, diversity, independent traders,...

15. photovideobot

East Suffolk County Hall, Ipswich

by photovideobot in TourismFeb 19, 2017 with 4 replies and 76 views.

Report - East Suffolk County Hall, Ipswich - April 2016 by WildBoyz from 28DL Urban Exploration.Source: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/east-suffolk-county-hall-ipswich-april-2016.t103032Snippets:-East Suffolk County Hall, otherwise known as Ipswich County Hall, was constructed between 1836 and 1837 by William McIntosh Brooks. Built before the reign of Queen Victoria, the imposing design of the Grade II listed building is based on...

Latest reply: Three months ago I said the following...County Hall is clearly worthy to become a tourist attraction – too bad it isn’t anywhere near the Ipswich Waterfront or the new North-South town centre axis.  A civic museum would be really special here....

Thread Display Options